Once Upon a Time in NYC

jloden

All-Pro
Name
Jay
This Friday we met some friends for a Broadway show, the theatrical adaptation of Once. I didn't get much chance to shoot as we were running late and it was literally in and out of the city, but I did snap a few with the X100S.

Side note: they were *extremely* strict about cameras in the theater, so I was grateful for the low profile and jacket-pocketability of the X100S. Didn't take any photos during the show or anything, but I also didn't want to deal with an argument over carrying my camera.

This was cool, a mobile sculpture piece of Rockefeller Center iron workers. Very cool piece, would have liked to spend more time checking it out.

9765374581_0d809c92f4_c.jpg

Rockefeller Iron Workers by jloden, on Flickr

9765366392_ef580f171f_c.jpg

Rockefeller Iron Workers by jloden, on Flickr

Not visiting NYC very often, sometimes I forget how unique things get around Times Square late Friday nights :D

9765662783_990b37de16_c.jpg

Do Not Tickle by jloden, on Flickr

9765674503_a40d14b0eb_c.jpg

On a Break... by jloden, on Flickr

9765590166_d0111c1172_c.jpg

Soothing Atmosphere by jloden, on Flickr

9765596174_e6561c0f9c_c.jpg

Looking Good New York by jloden, on Flickr

Great stuff, Jay. Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks. It was fun, but way too short and rushed (just what NYC needs, more rushing go-go-go atmosphere, lol). This was my first trip to NYC in a while, and I don't think I remembered just how hectic and full of interesting happenings it is. I feel like I should go back for a longer trip with the camera.

Oddly enough, the very next night there was a police shooting in times square where two bystanders were hit, right where most of those photos were taken. Glad we missed that one by a day! :eek:

Thanks. It was fun, but way too short and rushed (just what NYC needs, more rushing go-go-go atmosphere, lol). This was my first trip to NYC in a while, and I don't think I remembered just how hectic and full of interesting happenings it is. I feel like I should go back for a longer trip with the camera.

Oddly enough, the very next night there was a police shooting in times square where two bystanders were hit, right where most of those photos were taken. Glad we missed that one by a day! :eek:

I've been thinking about taking the train up sometime. Maybe we could meet up there and do a walkaround before it gets too cold. It's a bit more of a trip for me, lol.

My fiancée and my future mother-in-law was in Time Square yesterday night too!

I think its so reckless how the cops fired into a crowded area...

Anyways, nice photo of the Rockefeller Center Iron Workers! I have yet to see that sculpture, do you know if its new?!

I've been thinking about taking the train up sometime. Maybe we could meet up there and do a walkaround before it gets too cold. It's a bit more of a trip for me, lol.

Yeah that'd be fun! Definitely more of a hike for you but I bet we could figure out a way to make it manageable. We usually take NJ transit in from Convent Station or thereabouts. I'm not one to risk my sanity (or my truck) driving into the city hahaha.

My fiancée and my future mother-in-law was in Time Square yesterday night too!

I think its so reckless how the cops fired into a crowded area...

Anyways, nice photo of the Rockefeller Center Iron Workers! I have yet to see that sculpture, do you know if its new?!

Yeah, crazy... I have some other friends that were there when it happened Sat night, that's how I heard about it. Glad your fiancée and her mom are ok!

That sculpture was really cool - it's actually built onto the back of a pickup truck so it's mobile. The artist is Sergio Furnari and there's some more info in this article:

A Mobile Work of Art Is Missing an Ironworker (Published 2007)
Follow-up to the theft mentioned there, btw: Missing Ironworker Rejoins His Colleagues (Published 2007)

Kinda cool, it ties right back to photography because it's based on a Charles Ebbets photograph of iron workers from 1932. Guess I completed the circle by photographing the sculpture :tongue:

Great colors Jay. Man, I am glad you missed the shootings. Maybe I can catch a train too and we can all shoot.

Thanks Gary. Now that would be fun! It's only what, a 3 day train ride for you? (but a scenic one at least) :D

I enjoyed looking at these, reminded me of my last trip. I hate hearing about the other kind of shootings though!

Time Square has become quite trashy.. reminds me of Vegas these days.. too many mascot & costumed characters trying to make money off the tourist.. Lots of girls dressed as show girls, only wearing thongs and paint covers posing all over Time Square too.. Very unattractive site.. :(

Nice set, Jay! I really like #1 and #5. (y)

I watched Once a few months ago and though they were indeed strict about not allowing photographing inside the theater, I was able to bring in a camera bag with the X-E1 + 3 lenses (they might have stopped me if I had the 55-200.. Hehe) I can just imagine walking up right next to that statue with the 14/2.8.

Any idea until when will that statue be on display there?

Nice set, Jay! I really like #1 and #5. (y)

I watched Once a few months ago and though they were indeed strict about not allowing photographing inside the theater, I was able to bring in a camera bag with the X-E1 + 3 lenses (they might have stopped me if I had the 55-200.. Hehe) I can just imagine walking up right next to that statue with the 14/2.8.

Any idea until when will that statue be on display there?

Nice.. I wanted to bring a camera bag with me but decided it wasn't a good idea just in case. It's just as well, we had *zero* time so I would have lugged it for nothing anyway!

No clue on the statue, it was on a pickup truck so for all I know they moved it 15 minutes after I took that shot :D Apparently he moves it all over so it's mostly luck:

Sergio Furnari's "Lunchtime on a Skyscraper"

Back