One day in Auschwitz

It's always hard to describe the feeling that you get in places with a history like this one, but I think your words and images come close. You need time, space and silence to try to process it, all of which are difficult to find in the midst of crowds and tight travel schedules. Thank you.

My husband wanted to go to Auschwitz while we were staying at Krakow. I wasn't so sure. It sat uncomfortably with me that a place of so much horror and crime against humanity had become one of Poland's biggest tourist attractions. It didn't seem right but not going didn't seem right either. So, with a heavy heart, we went and this is what we saw.

I fully understand your conflicting thoughts. About 10 years ago my wife and I went to one of the camps too, with similar emotions. But I am glad we went.

As far as your photographs go, I'd just like to say that in my view they are beautifully made. You have a great eye, know how to use your camera, and are able to tell a story. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.

This!!!

The image speaks loudly.

8007288517_02525060f0_c.jpg

As difficult as this was for you Karen your photos reflect sensitivity and respect as well as your skill with the camera. I've come back a few times to look again. Quite compelling.

Back