Fuji One New Year's resolution sorely tested...

Amin

Hall of Famer
I've always been a fan of Fuji and have been following the X cameras with great interest.

I've said it before more than once - the X10 and X100 were cameras I've been waiting for for years now. They are cameras I knew should exist but didn't until Fuji had the guts to make them a reality. Still, I am pretty heavily invested in other systems and decided to hold back.

As 2012 drew to a close, I resolved that I would buy no new cameras in 2013. I certainly didn't need any new gear for the sake of photography, and it was time to show some restraint.

Now just a couple months later, I had the idea to start Xtogs, and it only seems right to be part of the fun here. So I started to look around for good deals on an X10 or X100. I checked all the usual places: Fred Miranda, Ebay, Craigslist, S.C., Mu-43, GetDPI, etc. Nothing was quite low priced enough to jump on with the X20 and X100S right around the corner.

So... I decided to stop by the local camera store to see if they had either of those cameras on clearance. They were selling the X10 new for $500. Not a bad deal, but I'd rather wait for the X20 than pay that. They also had one used X100 for $750, but it was an early production model with some significant wear.

So... I asked to try out the X-E1 and "kit lens":
-AF much faster than I expected
-Kit lens smaller, nicer feeling, and sharper than I expected
-EVF nicer than I expected
-Controls - so very intuitive
-Image stabilization - excellent

What to do? :daz:

soooo... I'm a proud new owner of an X-E1 kit. One New Year's resolution bites the dust. Will have to try extra hard to lose weight ;).

By the way - this is some kit lens! Might just turn out to be my favorite zoom ever.

Fantastic and congratulations, Amin. Keep us up to date on how well it goes. I'd get an X-E1 myself but I'm trying to avoid building yet another kit. An X100s and/or an X20 would require no extra lenses. Or am I fooling myself?

LOL, the resolution didn't last long Amin! Ironically, I got rid of my XE1 and currently have two OMD's!

I take it that you got the silver and black XE1?

Hahaha! :p Congratulations on your purchase, excellent camera and I had a play with the 18-55 zoom and I know what exactly what you mean :D.

I reckon all it takes is for one to play around with an X camera to get hooked on it. Most people will have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other trying to weigh the options of whether to get the camera or not, but once you play around with Fuji's X series you'll probably have devils in both shoulders egging each other on :p

Darn ... now I'm tempted to re-get the XE1. Nah ... I better wait for the XPro2. Or XE2. And with the X20 (on preorder) and X100S just around the corner ...

Where's that image only website?? :p

Fantastic and congratulations, Amin. Keep us up to date on how well it goes. I'd get an X-E1 myself but I'm trying to avoid building yet another kit. An X100s and/or an X20 would require no extra lenses. Or am I fooling myself?

I don't know, Steve. In the moment, I felt like I could just use the X-E1 and kit zoom for a long time without thinking of other lenses. Now an hour later, I'm thinking about other lenses :D.

LOL, the resolution didn't last long Amin! Ironically, I got rid of my XE1 and currently have two OMD's!

I take it that you got the silver and black XE1?

It sure didn't, Armando. I ended up picking the stealth black kit, but both were very nice!

Congratulations !! I just grabbed yet another NEX 7 unit but right now u make me jealous !!

Thanks, nianys - you, me, and Armando seem to be cut from the same cloth. All of these are great cameras!

Hahaha! :p Congratulations on your purchase, excellent camera and I had a play with the 18-55 zoom and I know what exactly what you mean :D.

I reckon all it takes is for one to play around with an X camera to get hooked on it. Most people will have an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other trying to weigh the options of whether to get the camera or not, but once you play around with Fuji's X series you'll probably have devils in both shoulders egging each other on :p

It's hard to resist, that's for sure. The controls are what make the Fuji presentation so attractive.

Darn ... now I'm tempted to re-get the XE1. Nah ... I better wait for the XPro2. Or XE2. And with the X20 (on preorder) and X100S just around the corner ...

Where's that image only website?? :p

:rofl:

Congratulations Amin. If you're going to break your resolution what a way to go! I'm on the same fence, I really want an X-E1 but I can't logically justify it with all the cameras I have already. That's not to say I won't break down sometime in 2013.....:wink_old:

I don't know, Steve. In the moment, I felt like I could just use the X-E1 and kit zoom for a long time without thinking of other lenses. Now an hour later, I'm thinking about other lenses :D.

I distinctively recall something about how the OMD was the one camera to rule them all. Then how the two EPM2 kit would be all you'd ever need.

LOL!

Be strong. Hold off on buying any other X lens, and wait for the Zeiss lenses! Hopefully, they will have the same type of AF motor (or better) that the kit zoom has. I'd love to get a hold of that 32/1.8.

Zeiss_32_f1_8.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Which local camera store, Amin?

On second thought... Don't tell me!! :)

I've been targeting the X20, but ever since I saw the x-e1 samples I'm drooling. The kit lens, most people agree, is exceptional. And I believe it covers almost the same fov of the X20, right? Hmmmmmm.. I need to stay away from your forums! :D

P.S. I had a feeling it was you just after reading the title of the thread. :D

I'm lucky I can't afford an XE-1 because I wouldn't have lasted this long. The Fuji X10 is like that little bag of crack you get for free to make you come back for more (not that I actually KNOW that you get free crack...I'm just speculating). My birthday is in May and if they announce an XE-2 I can already see me figuring out what gear to sell and whether I need to sell plasma or a kidney to pick one up.

I'm lucky I can't afford an XE-1 because I wouldn't have lasted this long. The Fuji X10 is like that little bag of crack you get for free to make you come back for more (not that I actually KNOW that you get free crack...I'm just speculating). My birthday is in May and if they announce an XE-2 I can already see me figuring out what gear to sell and whether I need to sell plasma or a kidney to pick one up.

Sell both and you get more than the kit lens.

I distinctively recall something about how the OMD was the one camera to rule them all. Then how the two EPM2 kit would be all you'd ever need...

My friend, if you can link me to me saying either of those two things, I'll buy your next camera ;).

I may have said that I was sticking with the OMD, but one camera to rule them all makes it sound like I was putting the OMD above all other cameras, which isn't the way I think about cameras. I definitely said that if I had to stick with a two-lens kit for life, it would be two E-PM2s, the P14, and the O45. But I don't have to stick with a two lens kit for life! I also said that if I could only have one "desert island" camera, it would be the Fuji X10. I still feel that way, but thankfully I'm not headed to a desert island any time soon :p.

My kit right now is E-PM2, D600, NEX-5N, X-E1, G2-IR. As Ray recently pointed out, it's a good thing cameras don't get jealous!

I don't have a cat for the obligatory new camera photo, so here's my equivalent - the obligatory kids watching TV photo :)

8450965005_784d436537_b.jpg

My friend, if you can link me to me saying either of those two things, I'll buy your next camera ;).

I may have said that I was sticking with the OMD, but one camera to rule them all makes it sound like I was putting the OMD above all other cameras, which isn't the way I think about cameras. I definitely said that if I had to stick with a two-lens kit for life, it would be two E-PM2s, the P14, and the O45. But I don't have to stick with a two lens kit for life! I also said that if I could only have one "desert island" camera, it would be the Fuji X10. I still feel that way, but thankfully I'm not headed to a desert island any time soon :p.

My kit right now is E-PM2, D600, NEX-5N, X-E1, G2-IR. As Ray recently pointed out, it's a good thing cameras don't get jealous!

I don't have a cat for the obligatory new camera photo, so here's my equivalent - the obligatory kids watching TV photo :)

8450965005_784d436537_b.jpg

I like the matching skull and crossbones jammies...my son is gonna want some of those.

I distinctively recall something about how the OMD was the one camera to rule them all.

No...I remember that silliness, that definitely wasn't Amin. I'm pretty sure I know who that was though. If you think on that a second it'll come to you.

Semantics! :eek:

LOL!!! :D

You should buy my next camera anyway! Interested in buying a black OMD -- the one to rule them all? Hehehehe.

Yeah, I know you don't think that way. You are too much of a GAS-holic to ever say that. You and I are the same. You are just worse. Hahaha. Ok, maybe not.

I've been targeting the X20, but ever since I saw the x-e1 samples I'm drooling. The kit lens, most people agree, is exceptional. And I believe it covers almost the same fov of the X20, right? Hmmmmmm.. I need to stay away from your forums! :D

The kit lens covers 28-82. The X20 should cover 28-112.

You can't resist ... you must get the XE1 ... and X20 ... and X100S ...

Congratulations Amin. I think the whole point of New Years resolutions is to remind us of our flawed humanity when we ultimately break them. So a vow not to buy any new cameras is just a way to guarantee that we do!!

Enjoy the camera - you definitely need to add a prime or two, no matter how good the zoom is! I'm not sure exactly where I am with my Fuji in terms of lenses or even whether to keep the X-Pro and just get the X100s. But I know for damn sure that I'll have some of that Fuji goodness in SOME camera or combination of them for the foreseeable future...

-Ray

Back