Film One of my favourite Mountain Photographers

I agree with Mr. Stainforth to a point, in that the place or scene is important to me when I'm engaged in photography. However, the process of working to obtain the absolute best image I possibly can is also important.

I agree with Mr. Stainforth to a point, in that the place or scene is important to me when I'm engaged in photography. However, the process of working to obtain the absolute best image I possibly can is also important.
And don't you think he works to that same parameters? Maybe you would like to show some of your mountain photography to enforce the point you make Tony?

And don't you think he works to that same parameters? Maybe you would like to show some of your mountain photography to enforce the point you make Tony?
Not trying to be argumentative, or compare my work to anyone else's, if that is the point you're making. Perhaps I read too much into the following statement:

"Too many photographers think that photography is just about photography. It sounds ridiculous, that. What I mean is: it's about the place and one's feelings for the place, and how it touches the imagination. It's not just a thing of getting a nice visual image; it's to try and give something of the huge landscape we're in, and something of one's feeling for the place, rather than just a pretty, calendar-type image."

I get the sense you were offended by my original statement.

Not at all Tony, I was only trying to understand the point you were making and ascertain how it differed from what I had originally posted. Your comments about place and ones feelings about the location resonate with me both as a climber and a practicing Buddhist within the Tibetan tradition. Anyway, I have now gone over to the darkside now having just purchased a Sony a7R ll to augment my Leica M film system and my trusty Rollei 3.5f. I like healthy debate with anyone with firm views on a topic?

Not at all Tony, I was only trying to understand the point you were making and ascertain how it differed from what I had originally posted. Your comments about place and ones feelings about the location resonate with me both as a climber and a practicing Buddhist within the Tibetan tradition. Anyway, I have now gone over to the darkside now having just purchased a Sony a7R ll to augment my Leica M film system and my trusty Rollei 3.5f. I like healthy debate with anyone with firm views on a topic?
Understood. I'm not a mountain climber, although I do hike and bike some pretty steep trails now and then. I just enjoy getting out in the woods and photographing whatever draws my interest. My compositions don't always resonate with other people, but I'm OK with that. I enjoy both film and digital, although I've never done my own developing.

Understood. I'm not a mountain climber, although I do hike and bike some pretty steep trails now and then. I just enjoy getting out in the woods and photographing whatever draws my interest. My compositions don't always resonate with other people, but I'm OK with that. I enjoy both film and digital, although I've never done my own developing.
I love the darkroom side as much, if not better than the taking, B&W only though, very simple and hugely satisfying, worth considering if you have a bit of spare space?

Back