Fuji Only 2 Lenses to choose

Great writings and pics, Adam. I enjoy reading about other people struggling with the affliction I think we all share. It helps to off-set my own guilt then when I make purchases...

Yeah, that 23mm.... I am doing my best to pretend it does not exist...
I know I would love the focal length and find one handy, but it's out of the realm of my budget right now.
But it's on MY LIST!

:blush:

Thanks Paul,

Getting this as close as I can too back on topic... I'm actually far happier with my 23/35/56 trinity than I expected to be.

(And I really had high expectations)

I need to shoot the 23/56 some more to completely understand, but there appears to be a consistency between that trio of glass that works really very well.

I did all of this buying/selling when I was in the UK, and I got back to Portugal last week (the 'dude' shot above is from Portugal but the other 2 are from the UK), so now I can REALLY test them out shooting in places and light that I'm a lot more used to working with

I should feel guilty, (about the spend) but I actually feel happy, besides; selling some glass and buying more glass secondhand means the bottom line outlay (ie the difference between what I sold things for Vs what I spent getting new things) was about as low as possible. Not to mention of course that the biggest depreciation hit is from new, so if I ever need to flip them, I should see most of the cash back!

I hope I'm not sounding smug... it's just that (with the exception of the 27, which I got 2 years ago) I've been shooting the same glass for 3.5 years (across different Fuji bodies) and now I have 2 new (to me) lenses to play with, and it's a nice feeling to have succeeded in acquiring them in just about the cheapest possible way!

Excellent posts about the 23mm, Adam.

I'm still pretty well settled with the 16-55/50-140 pair. But the 18-55/55-200 combo is a fairly close second for the zoom shooters. Especially for travel, or if you are not doing paid work.

Excellent posts about the 23mm, Adam.

I'm still pretty well settled with the 16-55/50-140 pair. But the 18-55/55-200 combo is a fairly close second for the zoom shooters. Especially for travel, or if you are not doing paid work.

Thanks Bobby,

That makes a lot of sense RE the zooms, as I guess both pairs offer a similar IQ (ie the 18-55 is like the 55-200 not that the 18-55 is like the 16-55)

And that's what I'm finding with the 23/35/56 they render fairly similarly, whereas with my older quartet each lens had quite a different signature to the images (as well as focal length)

In other news... and it's early days... i could easily be wrong... but the optional accessory square 23 hood fits on the 56 (well of that I'm certain :) ) and doesn't seem to cause any vignetting

Which is a nice little bonus and did help me justify buying the hood!

Yes, exactly. Also, the 18-55 and 55-200 are really really good lenses. While they give up the constant 2.8 aperture. The 18-55/55-200 have really good I.S. and incredible image quality. Not too far behind the 16-55/50-140. And 60mm more reach on the long end. While being smaller and lighter than the 2.8 zooms. They are a good option for a zoom package that doesn't really have an equal from other manufacturers.

That's really cool about the square hood fitting the 56mm.

The 23 WR is a very nice lens, and I enjoyed it for the week that I rented it. However, I'm holding with just the X-T1 + XF 18mm f2 for now. I've managed to sell 2 cameras and 3 lenses since the first of the year, and I folded those funds back into other gear: the XF 18mm, and two medium format film cameras, including a Fujica Super-6 from around 1950. I took a bit of a break from film for a while, but the Film in February challenge over on ForeverFilm helped rekindle my interest. For a while now I've been carrying a small film camera along with the X-T1 out on my weekend excursions. Choice is good!

If you were only to have 2 lenses to choose to buy, what would you buy. Mostly shooting kids, family, street, and landscape.
For me the ideal lens would be the 18-135mm. It would give me everything I want. Currently saving up for one.

I use the 16-50 a lot. I love it. Plus various manual focus Nikon lenses from 24 to 105mm and 70 - 300mm old zoom plus Konica Hexanon 50mm and 135mm.

It's funny how clear it is that many of us think alike. When I had Canon and or Nikon gear,
I was constantly trading up, down and sideways to try to find the complete "Zen" setup.

It was not until I got away from those that things started to be clearer to me (in my images and metaphorically speaking). The last full size SLR I had was a Canon 5D MIII, and to me the images looked often like they were shot with a cell phone. It was investigating that problem that lead me to the realization that the stinking AA filter on most digital SLR's is killing the clarity in many situations.

I stuck one foot in Fuji and have not looked back (no AA filter!). I also love how wonderfully "slow" I shoot now. I can dicker around for hours on the same scene or subject matter, mostly running from a tripod and using a wired remote. I could care less how "fast" my camera clicks now. I really like it SLOW (as far as rate of fire).

I have the 16mm, the 27mm and the F/2.0 35mm. I played with the 18-55 for awhile and miss it sometimes. I'm wonderfully stuck with what I have for now but I don't feel like I am missing out on much, although I would like to have a bit longer focal length for some things. No hurry!

Most of my photography adventures "focus" on solo-motorcycling (largely day trips) and then stumbling onto targets. Occasionally, I will set out intentionally to go see a waterfall, etc., that I have not seen before. But I like/need to keep my gear bag small, and the Fuji line is perfect for that!

(must insert shameless selfy-pic...)

27f.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I only have four lenses. My favourite is the 27. Have it on my X-Pro1 when walking. No bag, just that. With the bag I take the 27 and the 18mm. More than two then it is 27, 18 and 60 Sometimes I switch the 60 for the 50-230mm. Bought that one very cheap and use it only when I expect I need the length . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a two lens kinda guy - but three? Yes! Very doable imo.

If I had to pick and could only have two - maybe 16 and 56?
Right now I have the 18 and 35f2. Covers most of what I shoot.

Until the 90 arrives. ( :
The unorthodox F2 trio. I like it.

The X-T1 + 18mm f2 is an excellent pair, but I do find myself from time to time wishing for more reach. I generally carry the Pentax-M 50mm/1.4 for those times, as it is small for a legacy lens. I don't mind carrying a little extra weight if I'm just going to be hiking, but for biking, I like to keep my gear as minimal as possible. Fuji makes some outstanding zooms, but the size and cost puts me off. Eventually I plan to go all native on the X-T1, and leave the legacy glass for my film cameras. I'm leaning toward the 35mm WR as my next lens, but the 50mm WR is also tempting. I was out shooting in a steady rainstorm with the X-T1 and 18mm f2 a few evenings ago, and had no issues, but I know that's pressing my luck. Hopefully Fuji really will come out with an 18mm f2 WR.

Watch this space, Tony ;)

I have both the 35mm and 50mm WR and I have to say that while they are both belters - worthy of the portmanteau term "Fujicron" - the 50 edges it for me. I tend to think of the 50mm focal length (75mm in 35mm terms) as a "long standard" rather than a "short tele" and it works for me in that way. It makes a great twin lens set with the 23mm WR, for obvious reasons.

Watch this space, Tony ;)

I have both the 35mm and 50mm WR and I have to say that while they are both belters - worthy of the portmanteau term "Fujicron" - the 50 edges it for me. I tend to think of the 50mm focal length (75mm in 35mm terms) as a "long standard" rather than a "short tele" and it works for me in that way. It makes a great twin lens set with the 23mm WR, for obvious reasons.

My first run with Fuji I really liked the 23 and 56. I had a Zeiss 12 to round out the trio.
So the 23 and 50 f2s strike me as something I would like to try one day.
Long standard? A nice way of looking at it.

I just picked up a 35 F1.4 and sold the F2. Step backward? ( :
Both great lenses. I appreciate the smooth focusing of the F2.
I also appreciate the extra stop of the F1.4. Maybe a little more.

Broke up my F2 trio but I'm happy with it.
Speaking of which, love the 90.

Back