Fuji OnOne Raw release version

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I've been playing around with the pre release version of OnOne raw for the last month. It was good, but not great. Which is to be expected with a pre release. This week, OnOne released the finished version of Raw. The company lived up to it's promise of Raw working well with Fuji x-trans files. Great detail can be pulled out of a x-trans file in OnOne Raw. Along with being able to produce a great final image. OnOne put a lot of thought into this raw editor, which is a nice blend of features one would find in PS and LR. Along with dedicated skin smoothing in the develop module, there is also layers, and a very in depth sharpening tool with different types of sharpening such as unsharp mask. There is a nice B&W tool with several types of film noise emulations. Color adjustment, glow, curves, noise reduction(which works very well), split tone, transform(distortion corrections), and vignette round out the tools in the develop module. Raw seems to work a lot better with the Fuji lens profile corrections automatically then Capture One or LR. Also included in Raw is a separate layers module on top of the local adjustments layers in the develop module, the effects module from previous iterations of OnOne software. And finally OnOne has integrated their Perfect Resize software as a resize module. So OnOne Raw is a very well rounded editing tool. Everything I do in my workflow can be accomplished in one editor, all non destructive from the original raw file, without any round tripping to other software. But if needed, round tripping images through Adobe PS & LR, and Nik plugins is available for even more editing power. I've stopped my Adobe cloud subscription and will try to make it going foreward with just OnOne and Capture One. Seeing that OnOne has continually updated and upgraded their products in the past, I see this as a start point for an editing package which will only get better.

These photos have not had sharpening applied. Just the structure slider.
i-HK4vzgW-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-PjstMc6-L.jpg

i-Hbt3c8t-L.jpg

Bobby,

Thanks for this. I'm still running LR 4.4 and wouldn't mind upgrading to new software , but I don't like the subscription model Adobe offers (especially because I already own older versions of LR and PS that for my uses work perfectly fine (with the exception of Fuji RAW processing) and from what I hear LR6 (or CC) is painfully slow on anything but the fastest PC/Mac. Do you happen to have any idea what the version requirements are for roundtripping through PS**? (as I do still use PS quite a bit)

**Nevermind, I found it - CS6 or CC only. I'm assuming though since there is no cataloging and files are simply opened from their current locations that On1 Photo Raw edits can be exported as 16-bit TIFFs. Would this be correct?

Yes. Other export options are Photoshop, Photoshop Large Document, PNG, and of course JPG. With your choice of color profiles, and the option to import a color profile.

Since there is no importing, Raw has an option in the settings to save side car files to save your edits.

Thanks. How do you find the speed compared to Adobe LR? Does it seem to be as resource intensive in your experience?

*** As a followup, I downloaded the trial last night and while exceeding the minimum requirements for running the software (but not meeting the recommended requirements) I couldn't even get to the point where I could edit a photo in the develop module. The software kept crashing. Looks like I'll be sticking with what I have unless I decide to get a new machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working from a MacBook pro with 8gb ram and a SSD. For nearly everything it is faster than LR. It is a bit slower going from one image to another. But nothing that makes it feel slow. I think this is due to not importing the images and building previews. In that regard OnOne is a lot faster.

Thanks Bobby, I have not heard of OnOne software but have not been happy with ACR / LR for Fuji Raw conversions so have invested in Iridient that runs on my Mac - superb software that has made a very positive difference to my Fuji raw files.

Looks like Adobe are not that concerned with offering good Fuji support so alternatives are rife.

It is unfortunate that even now, Adobe doesn't do much of anything for Fuji shooters. Yes, one can get a really good image out of Adobe software. But not as good as what the image could be from being worked in other editors.

I have the realease version. It seems to work well. I like there concept of virtual edits, no TIFF file editing (very similar to DX0).
They claim they will be fine tuning it to RAF files(February release). It needs some work. They are taking suggestions from users on what features are wanted/needed. It seems to be an integrated solution especially with the resize/printing module. It also has some digital asset management (but needs more features) I'm going to stay with them.
I was working with Olympus and DXO. Since DXO does not work with Fuiji I've beem floundering around looking for an editor.
Tried a lot of editors. One of thse issues for me is how easy I can use the software. On One is very intuitive in my case.
I did use OnOne 10 (the previous version) for a short while, so I'm familliar with their workflow.
Hoping this will be it. I did not try CC because I am an anti fanboy of Adobe for many reasons.
I'm using a 2008 Mac Pro with with 28 GB of RAM and an AMD Saphire Video card (3GB).
Works very fast

I've had more time to work in OORaw and learn it better. Although I still have a lot to learn in this software, I have come to really like it. Used it for a portrait shoot, and some street style shots for the first time. The results are fantastic. OnOne definitely has a winner here which should only get better over time with updates and upgrades. OnOne Raw needs to be on your list of software to work in, especially shooting Fuji.

_DSF1774-L.jpg

_DSF1852-L.jpg

_DSF3612OnOne-L.jpg

Back