Sony oops! Just bought a Nex5 & 16mm f/2.8 kit / It's Arrived!!

Well i read the instructions on the Sony website, Downloaded the firmware updater then just followed the few simple instructions. I did however have to go make myself busy while it was uploading!!:D

I hope you are right about the battery. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves.

The camera does have some quirks but all in all i really like the NEX. I will spend some time with a tripod and filters in the near future and see how good this ASP-C sensor really is.

Andy, what christilou said about improvement after a few cycles seems to be the consensus from what I have read. Another complaint is the supplied charger is very slow (4 hours for completely drained to charge). Sony right now does not offer their version of an alternate/faster charger for the Nexs. I ordered a spare battery from Adorama and a quick charger with a cigarette lighter adapter option also. I've used that model before (cost - 14 usd) with other cameras and while it won't get an engineering award, they do work and seem to last.

I shot about 250 pix today (raw & jpeg) outside in a national park and was down to about 10% but as noted, I'd only cycled the battery once at this point. Very happy with the results and will post some when I get a chance. The sweep pano feature was fun and seems produce a decent image. I also read that the pano feature uses up more battery than normal which only makes sense. I was in bright sunlight and didn't find the display to be too washed out although I would love an option at some point for an EVF add-on. It can help to tilt out the LCD when you are having trouble seeing the screen due to glare.

Only issue for me with the controls was that I was occasionally hitting and changing/starting things I had not intended (e.g. movie mode) but that should improve with time as I learn the layout. It didn't help that my fingers were somewhat numb from the bitter cold and wind we had today.

Have fun and glad you got it before the weekend.

Congratulations. Welcome to the club! You'll be joining soon yourself BB;)

:dance: I am doing my best to control myself. Between this camera and the Sigma...well it's been tough, but I am holding on tight to my LX5...and then there is the soon to be with us Fuji.;)

John, wait - you have the NEX now????

OK, so I've gone through a few cameras...but I think that you, John, have me beat - since we've known each other, that is.:tongue:

Amazing how fast this "hobby" will swallow up your funds.

Tell me about it :( I bought the NEX 5 to replace the GF1 AND the s95 but i keep looking at images from the s95 and they are SO good plus it's ideal for slipping in the trouser pocket.

Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money.. Must not spend any more money..

Andy I was a bit disgusted at how long it took my battery to fully charge I've never had one that took so long; but as Christine says maybe it will be better as time goes on; I'm glad your thinking of keeping the S95 I'm keeping mine and my X1, the canon as a carry around cam: all the time.
The Leia because I'm just 'chuffed' to be able to own such a prestige camera and yes I will be using it again for certain occasions.

Andy I was a bit disgusted at how long it took my battery to fully charge I've never had one that took so long; but as Christine says maybe it will be better as time goes on; I'm glad your thinking of keeping the S95 I'm keeping mine and my X1, the canon as a carry around cam: all the time.
The Leia because I'm just 'chuffed' to be able to own such a prestige camera and yes I will be using it again for certain occasions.

The long recharge time shouldn't bother me really as I'll charge it after a days shooting and it will be far longer than 4hrs before going out with the camera again. If it does get to be a problem then I'll get another back up battery.

Just some sunshine would be nice!!:D

Well Andy, I took courage from your experience with updating your NEX and I went ahead and did mine too. No problems either. Now I have to figure out what to use these extra buttons for. I think metering and white balance are the most used for me :)

I have Button B (Bottom Button) set for ISO and Button C (Main Middle Button) set to Auto focus area left click for DRO/Auto HRD and right click for Crative Mode. I may well change them when i get more used to the camera and realise what i need most.

One thing i must say and that is how well built the NEX 5 is. I thought the GF1 was good (and it is) but this is just superbly made.

I have button B set for shoot mode, button C is ISO, metering mode and autofocus area. What are you other NEX users using?

Has anyone made use of the 'Panorama' on this camera? I tried it out in the flat last night; I didn't 'develope' onto computer but was totally puzzled at what happened when played the review on the camera.
Its was as if it was a video; I'd like to see any pictures anyone has taken please.

mine

Has anyone made use of the 'Panorama' on this camera? I tried it out in the flat last night; I didn't 'develope' onto computer but was totally puzzled at what happened when played the review on the camera.
Its was as if it was a video; I'd like to see any pictures anyone has taken please.

I took several last week, these two were the best. It is a bit tricky getting the speed right and keeping level, but I think they came out well.

DSC00741_hf.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC00762.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I use the "set" button (I think it's the B button?) to switch to custom -- ISO, WB and I think metering mode (??)

I use the lower custom button for MF assist.

I've uploaded one of my panoramas but can't make it any bigger (from Lightroom) I have uploads set to w 1,000 x h 1004. It's not even big enough within LR itself so I'm at a loss to know how to make it look right. This is probably why I haven't used this function since September!

DSC00343.jpg

Back