Nikon opinions and/or samples for the Nikon 10-100mm

Are you referring to the 10-100mm PD lens or the non PD? I've tried both, the 10-100mm PD VR lens is a bit bulky, but the on-lens switch zooming feature works great for video and seems very quick to zoom. Image quality seemed very good. Though I tried the non PD 10-100mm and I think it makes a better stills lens. Build quality is fantastic, and it's a much more slimmer lens which feels very good in hand. It's also slightly faster starting at f/4 as opposed to the PD's f/4.5. Both have pin cushion barrel distortion at the wide end. VR on both lenses work great. My preference leans toward the non PD just because of the slimmer size. I'd recommend getting the 10mm 2.8 in conjunction with either zoom just because the wide end distortion is quite noticeable.

Are you referring to the 10-100mm PD lens or the non PD? I've tried both, the 10-100mm PD VR lens is a bit bulky, but the on-lens switch zooming feature works great for video and seems very quick to zoom. Image quality seemed very good. Though I tried the non PD 10-100mm and I think it makes a better stills lens. Build quality is fantastic, and it's a much more slimmer lens which feels very good in hand. It's also slightly faster starting at f/4 as opposed to the PD's f/4.5. Both have pin cushion barrel distortion at the wide end. VR on both lenses work great. My preference leans toward the non PD just because of the slimmer size. I'd recommend getting the 10mm 2.8 in conjunction with either zoom just because the wide end distortion is quite noticeable.

Thanks, this is just what I needed. PD or not PD, that is the question. I'm still on the fence about using the V1 for video, but I suspect that if I didn't get the PD lens I'll wish that I had. Most of my motorcycle shooting is outdoors in decent light so the slower aperture doesn't bother me so much. Until it does.

Ah, the joys of GAS.

Thanks, this is just what I needed. PD or not PD, that is the question. I'm still on the fence about using the V1 for video, but I suspect that if I didn't get the PD lens I'll wish that I had. Most of my motorcycle shooting is outdoors in decent light so the slower aperture doesn't bother me so much. Until it does.

Ah, the joys of GAS.

The non-PD 10-100mm works just as well for video from what I saw. The VR between the two lenses work the same. I think the biggest difference is with the PD you can zoom/focus at the touch of the switch. If you do video with set focal length shots, then I think the non-PD would be better if you plan on predominantly doing stills with occasional video. It breaks down to which takes priority in your shooting style. Though the PD zoom is selling much cheaper refurbished right now at cameta.com!

Back