Opteka Lenses: cheap, but are they cheerful?

I'm curious. I'm never going to be able to afford more "proper" lenses for my Nikon1 gear, but I saw these on B&H yesterday (and this morning on Amazon) and am curious.

Has anyone played with Opteka lenses? (not the huge mirror type, the regular ones). Theres a 6.5mm Fisheye, a 12mm, a 35, a 50 and an 85. Some are so inexpensive its a huge temptation to get one or two.

Anybody?

I can't imagine manually focusing a lens on those little Nikon 1 bodies is a very pleasant experience. But if one of those focal lengths represents a need for you, I'd try one from Amazon....if it's no good, you can always return it.

I can't imagine manually focusing a lens on those little Nikon 1 bodies is a very pleasant experience. But if one of those focal lengths represents a need for you, I'd try one from Amazon....if it's no good, you can always return it.

Not really. The cost of shipping back to the USA would be prohibitive and worth more than the lens itself. Manual focus is fine, one can do it already with the switch on the back of the camera, and an expanded view in the LCD.

I'd just like to hear from someone who has had experience of these lenses, more likely on a DSLR than Nikon1.

Whenever I am researching new lenses I always use Flickriver and do a search for that specific lens. If nothing else, that will give you a good idea of what those lenses are capable of.

"It's coming" is what everyone keeps getting told in Amazon PR puff pieces. Every year for the last 10 years.

Its here. Has been for a few months. As I said to Luke though, just not *everything* thats in the US store.

[edit] actually some of those opteka lenses are there. Talk about ripoff. $89US becomes $800+ AU. Dont think so. I'll buy from B&H when the time comes.

Last edited:
I gave up trying to use manual lenses on my Nikon 1 cameras. Works much better with M4/3 and larger formats. The FT1 does work surprisingly well for adapting Nikon DX and FX lenses to the Nikon 1. But that's not what you're aiming to do.

Thanks, Steve. I wish there was an 85mm for the Nikon1 but alas I dont think there is. I noticed it for dslr and made an assumption (silly me).. but.. 50mm would do as well for the f/l. Looking at those links now, thank you for that.

[edit] Interesting comments at tightCamera. He seems to feel that QC at Opteka isnt the best, based on the 85mm and a 500-1000mm mirror lens. Seems to me that if its not the best for those, its likely not to be fab for the others. Maybe I just need to save longer and harder. After I get my new stove. LOL!

Last edited:
Back