Canon Optical viewfinder for the Canon G1x

sjohnsonjd

Hey you camera buffs, does the Canon G1x come with an attachment for either an electronic or an optical viewfinder? I would love to explore taking shots without the screen.

Welcome to SC. I don't have once but from the dpreview photo, Canon G1X comes with an viewfinder:

allroundview.jpg

The unfashionable viewfinder is like those on many cameras 40 years ago but is zoomable and has a diopter adjustment.
It works perfectlywhen you need it;just allow for parallax errors.

I was wondering if an attachment could be mounted into the hot shoe with the canon to provide either an optical or electronic viewfinder. I will have to look around the Internet a little more and see what is out there. The viewfinder on the camera is almost useless.

judging from the photo above, there is no jack for communicating to an add-on EVF and there exists no such thing as an add-on optical viewfinder that is zoomable. You're stuck with the one they give you.

I wouldn't call my G1X inflexible ! True , I've never taken macro shots with it but I have used it for action.
Here the bird was followed in the viewfinder off Santa Monica Pier and just snapped ...easy. You don't need a fancy EVF to pan with the action

7039175205_5b54b73792_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6889256770_b69ec333bb_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think that the G1X is a rather special camera that won't be replaced.
I shall never sell it.

there is a fine optical viewfinder that can be attached to the G1X

I was wondering if an attachment could be mounted into the hot shoe with the Canonto provide either an optical or electronic viewfinder. I will have to look around the Internet a little more and see what is out there. The viewfinder on the camera is almost useless.

Hi,
The Ricoh GV-2 is a superb 28 mm OVF that fits into the hot shoe but does not zoom. I have one and like it a lot. It is very small, very bright, and very sharp. Amin Sabet, who hosts Serious Compacts, has recommended it for the G1X, and Ray Sachs on Serious Compacts has shown an elegant way to use part of a robber band to keep an OVF from falling out.
Since it does not zoom, you must use the LCD or the built-in viewfinder to zoom
Image quality of the G1X is superb and in my opinion is noticeably better than M4/3 or the Sony X100 or x100 II. There are always trade-offs, depending on what is important to you.
Good luck with your decision,
Krugman

Back