Orange Sculptures, Storm King Mountain, New York

Penfan2010

All-Pro
Name
Ed
Olympus E-PL3 and 15mm body cap lens. PPd on LR 4.4.

P1010190.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010196.jpg

P1010201.jpg

P10102091.jpg

P1010200.jpg

my gosh, how do you get these results with this lens??? everything ive seen from reviewers indicates the lens is no better than a toy/lomography lens. but your results appear very good. could you give your analysis of the lens's performance?

my gosh, how do you get these results with this lens??? everything ive seen from reviewers indicates the lens is no better than a toy/lomography lens. but your results appear very good. could you give your analysis of the lens's performance?

Thanks, Tony. My secrets are:

1. I don't read the reviews;
2. I don't let my lens read the reviews; that way, he doesn't know what his limitations are! :)

Jesting aside, the lens operates on the principle of hyperfocal distance focusing, as you probably know, AKA disposable camera with fixed aperture lens or wide angle lens set at small aperture and hyperfocal distance. I have found that, as long as you shoot subjects within the very wide depth-of-field area, photos are sharp (and I sharpen in post just like I do images taken with my other lenses). Also, given the fixed F8 aperture, I use the lens primarily in brightly lit situations. I find that I really like the 30mm full-frame equivalent field of view, as well, and that's all that matters.

And, seriously, I do not pay much attention to reviews; I just go and shoot and see if I like what I am getting from my images to decide whether a lens is good or not. I prefer shooting real things, not test charts. :)

A few more samples of this "unsharp" toy lens below, from other posts on this forum:

Levi_s_2.jpg

iphone.jpg

P3101208.jpg

P1010083-Edit.jpg

Back