Micro 4/3 Ordered E-PL2 to replace G3: Is that foolish?

I have been generally pleased with the G3 that has been with me since June. But there are a few things that bother me a bit. One is the white balance, that never seems as good as what I would get (JPG or RAW) from the E-PL1 that I had but which was stolen. The controls system is not quite as simple to me as the E-PL1 was. And, the delay in recording to SD seems greater than other m4/3 cameras I have tried. However, it takes sharp photos, has good colors outside, and is quick in AF.

So why did I choose an E-PL2 over a newer model Olympus? First, I don't really care about a tilting or touch LCD, neither interest me. Second, I would rather have the weaker AA filter (at least as its been reported) than the 3's. But as I wait for the order, I am wondering if the AF on the E-PL2 will seem slow compared to the G3, perhaps in low light more than generally. I also wonder how the WB will compare, since I now read reports about the 3's WB being so great. And should I have bought a heavily discounted used E-PL2 body rather than a discounted new E-PL2 with 14-42 lens.

I guess I will know soon enough, as a red E-PL2 is on the way (I never have owned a red camera!).

I have both and prefer the handling of the E-PL2. The G3 will likely move on after the first of the year.

Did you already sell the G3? If not, why not do some head-to-head testing? I guess that may be problematic as you bought the Oly new and have a limited number of clicks before it becomes non-returnable. I bought the G3 new but the E-PL2 is a refurb.

I had the E-PL1 too, but replaced it with a G3. I feel Oly's WB is better than the G3's, so I'm inclined to go back to Olympus. But you are right - G3 performs very well. There's just something... funky (for want of a better term) about Panasonic's WB, IMO. I'm also thinking of going E-PL2, but I've been spoiled by the G3's screen that I might go the E-PL3 route.

I still have the G3, as it is my only advanced camera, and so will be able to do some comparative shots even if a limited number. The new E-PL2 was only $60 more than the refurbished ones available right now (even if it is red instead of the usual black) and it will arrive today instead of late next week. The VF-2 was ordered, too, since I used that 90% of the time on my E-PL1.

I have both and prefer the handling of the E-PL2. The G3 will likely move on after the first of the year.

Did you already sell the G3? If not, why not do some head-to-head testing? I guess that may be problematic as you bought the Oly new and have a limited number of clicks before it becomes non-returnable. I bought the G3 new but the E-PL2 is a refurb.

The touch screen, while useful at times, is really less attractive to me than better controls. I will be interested to see how the E-PL2 works. The greatest concern is whether the AF is too slow in low light, and secondarily is whether the shot recording time is not too quick.

I had the E-PL1 too, but replaced it with a G3. I feel Oly's WB is better than the G3's, so I'm inclined to go back to Olympus. But you are right - G3 performs very well. There's just something... funky (for want of a better term) about Panasonic's WB, IMO. I'm also thinking of going E-PL2, but I've been spoiled by the G3's screen that I might go the E-PL3 route.

I can't comment on the two models that you are comparing, but I do have both a GH1 and an E-PL1. The GH1 is technically the better camera in just about every area; specs, sensor, controls, speed. Despite all that I would choose to use the E-PL1 over the GH1 more often than not. The Panasonic just doesn't have the soul of the Olympus, and some recent experience with a GF1 would indicate that this feeing is not exclusive to the GH1. Some folks love their Panasonics though, so I figure it's just a personal thing.

I tried out the E-PL2 and surprisingly (to me) preferred the G3! :eek:

The newer sensor really makes a difference, which was visible in working with low-light shots particularly. The handling is marginally better with the E-PL2, mainly because the lens is just a little further from the right side of the camera, giving one's fingers more room, but I use my left hand more actively on the G3 than other cameras and that works okay. The VF-2 viewfinder, while excellent in quality, is just not as comfortable in use as the G3's built-in one. The lack of a touchscreen even came into play, as it became apparent that I used the touchscreen on the G3 without thinking much about it, and so missed it on the E-PL2. So, the E-PL2 has gone back, and the G3 remains.

Well, good thing you held on to that G3 for now, MacBook! There's nothing like a real hands on experience with a camera to help make one's mind up. Onwards and upwards!(y)

I find the auto white balance of the E-PL2 to be very unreliable, especially in the artificial light.

I don't trust AWB on any camera in artificial light, particularly since CFC bulbs have partially replaced incandescents. RAW + Lightroom workflow saves the day for me. I believe I've read that the latest Oly models do a better job on AWB; I haven't tested that.

I just posted a photo from the G3 with the newly-received Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens in the Images from the Panasonic Lumix G3 thread. The camera and lens complement each other well. It reinforces both the capabilities of the G3 and the advice that quality lenses play a major role in whatever camera you use.

Back