Sony Original RX1 vs RX1r2 rendering, which is better?

I use dcpTool.

Introduction

It is a command line tool, available for free. There is also a Mac app available at the App Store:

dcpTool on the Mac App Store

Finding the Camera Profile .dcp files can be tricky. On a Mac they are inside the Lightroom Application, which is a package. If you download and install Adobe DNG Converter, Camera Profiles will be installed in an additional location:

/Library/Application Support/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

I prefer to investigate those profiles rather than open up the Lightroom package each time I get curious. I'm not sure about locations on Windows.

dcpTool used in combination with Adobe's DNG Profile Editor can be very powerful. And, with great power comes great mistakes! :) Lately I have been unwinding some mistakes I made when I first started making my own Camera Profiles. A while back I put a tutorial up on dpreview on making and modifying profiles.

Camera Profiles in Lightroom and ACR - Changing the tonality: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thanks
That is very useful information and I suppose I would love to know the main differences in the profiles but obviously that is also relational to the newer sensor and how the profiles pulls out the data and controls it.
the original RX1 is an entirely different beast and that has become more and more obvious to me.
It's great to get this quantitive data to validate my own appraisals.
Much gratitude again for helping me retain what little sanity I still possess.

Late to this thread :)
I think there is a common misconception when going to higher resolution. I know that Canon 5D users complained about the Mark ii being less sharp and poppy, the Nikon D700 users complained about the D800 and the Leica M9 users complained about the 240.

Essentially the lower resolution of the RX1 becomes brittle faster when pping. This brittleness is the result of a sharper falloff in edges. It gives the appearance of 3D but is in effect loss of detail. You can do the same thing on the RX1Rvii by over processing but it has to be pushed harder as the resolution is so much higher

For me the RX1Rv2 is so much closer to perfection. The focus doesn't misfocus anymore and the EVF is excellent. But the real kicker is the sensor. We are basically on the way to zoomless cameras. Or to put it another way, the RX1v2 is as good a 50mm camera as a 35mm, where the RX1 only had its detail sufficiently for 35mm

My 2 cents

Yes but Leica M9 users were right to be complaining about the 240!

It's true what you say the files from my 1st gen 5D were beautiful straight out of camera, but in the mk2 & 3 as more pixels were added to the same size sensor the files needed a bit more PP time to really pop for me. These days my Leica M8 files need hardly any PP work (I still love that camera) where my RX1R (classic) ARW files do need a bit of tweaking, I imagine if I upgrade to the RX1R mk2 I'll need to adjust my workflow again to get the results I want. If the mk2 was still 24mp I'd buy one now just for the integrated EVF, I don't want or need 42mp.

Yes but Leica M9 users were right to be complaining about the 240!

It's true what you say the files from my 1st gen 5D were beautiful straight out of camera, but in the mk2 & 3 as more pixels were added to the same size sensor the files needed a bit more PP time to really pop for me. These days my Leica M8 files need hardly any PP work (I still love that camera) where my RX1R (classic) ARW files do need a bit of tweaking, I imagine if I upgrade to the RX1R mk2 I'll need to adjust my workflow again to get the results I want. If the mk2 was still 24mp I'd buy one now just for the integrated EVF, I don't want or need 42mp.

You don't know you need it until you have it :)
There is a drawback with 42mp in that you need slightly more technique to be sharper at the pixel level, but when it works it's tremendous

I do agree with you about the M8 and to a certain extent the M9. They had a contrast fall off that was very unique together with a slightly weird colour map that I found impossible to replicate in PP for any other camera. Under the right circumstances the M8/M9 looks ethereal and poppy in a way unique and beautiful. Ultimately it must be a very unique combination of the CCD and the Leica software.

Back