Sony Original RX1 vs RX1r2 rendering, which is better?

Sounds like your talking yourself out of it. I dont blame you. Its a lot of cash! I certainly will never part with mine and love it more everyday. It certainly has that special sauce and more and Ive had the Mark 1 and lots of delicious Zeiss and Leica stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide... I hope it works for you :)

Actually the money isn't the issue.
I spent a lot to get the RX1 initially.
I am really trying to educate my mind and my eyes.
To see the value of the Mark 2.

I do see a lot of resolution and a wealth of added technology like better AF, which I would love.
But so far the Mark 2 still doesn't look up to par.

But you saying that the Mark 2 has that special sauce intrigues me.
Do you have a Flickr? Where these special sauce photos reside?

I downloaded some Rx1r2 raw files and am trying to get the look that I want.
But so far I find it easier to sharpened my older rx1 files than to get Milky attributes from Mark 2.

But again, it may be just my eyes. So I am working on it by comparing files on Flickr.

If you have any raw files that you feel exhibit that special sauce.
I would love to see them or maybe DL them.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am starting to appreciate the added resolution of the RX1R
despite its slightly different rendering from the original.

Last edited:
Must admit I dont really use Flickr. I might throw a file up if Im bored at work but thats about it. I find most social media sites buggar up the look of files anyway. Theres 1 on there Hagley Fog that I can think of, there may be a couple more.

Theres plenty on my site proimagenz.com , when I get time Im might be able to direct you to specifics...

Actually the money isn't the issue.
I spent a lot to get the RX1 initially.
I am really trying to educate my mind and my eyes.
To see the value of the Mark 2.

I do see a lot of resolution and a wealth of added technology like better AF, which I would love.
But so far the Mark 2 still doesn't look up to par.

But you saying that the Mark 2 has that special sauce intrigues me.
Do you have a Flickr? Where these special sauce photos reside?

I downloaded some Rx1r2 raw files and am trying to get the look that I want.
But so far I find it easier to sharpened my older rx1 files than to get Milky attributes from Mark 2.

But again, it may be just my eyes. So I am working on it by comparing files on Flickr.

If you have any raw files that you feel exhibit that special sauce.
I would love to see them or maybe DL them.

Thanks for the help.

I think I am starting to appreciate the added resolution of the RX1R
despite its slightly different rendering from the original.

Thanks Photomadnz.
Very kind of you,
I appreciate it.

wonderful inspirational work.

though I think I would hard pressed to be certain what images are Rx1r2

wonderful inspirational work.

though I think I would hard pressed to be certain what images are Rx1r2
Yeah, great work indeed.

Grokgod,

IMHO, you're working waaaaaay too hard on this. Trust your gut. If you keep reacting negatively toward RX1R II files, that's all you need to know. My brain leads me in the wrong direction frequently. When I incorporate my brain's input into my gut but then trust my gut, I've yet to go wrong. It's not a matter of something else being better than the current RX1 or the RX1 being better than something else. It just comes down to what pushes YOUR buttons. The RX1R II clearly doesn't. For whatever reason. Doesn't really matter why - you have a very strong reaction to it so why are you trying to talk yourself into something you clearly don't want to do? Or trying to talk yourself OUT of something you clearly don't want to do. You don't want to do it - so don't! There are almost no bad cameras out there anymore - go with what you like...

-Ray

I think the problem is he wants the performance upgrades in relation to AF speed and auto-ISO settings, but wants the "look" of the RX1 files. Too bad you can't just shove the RX1 sensor into the RX1 mk.ii body

I think the problem is he wants the performance upgrades in relation to AF speed and auto-ISO settings, but wants the "look" of the RX1 files. Too bad you can't just shove the RX1 sensor into the RX1 mk.ii body
Or upgrade the original RX1 firmware to provide the auto-ISO fix. Woulda saved me a lot of money. But Sony doing major FW upgrades is not the world we live in...

-Ray

Exactly.
I want all the upgrades of the Mark 2 and the rendering of the original.
So I was trying to educate my eyes to see the differences in the two.
to see if I could quantify the differences or be more certain as to what really is my preference.
Or discern if its a psychological effect.

So I was looking for others opinions to generate more potential to make a good choice.

and thanks for the advise Ray.
It's appreciated.

What I have gained from my research or educating my eyes.
Is a new found appreciation for the A7r2 and it's comparative costs to the Rx1r2

And the Rx1r seems quite close to the original but of course with added sharpness.
So I am considering buying the Rx1r possibly and an A7r2
Since it looks like I'll be selling all my other systems
Canon and Nikon and Fuji, and going all Sony.

I guess Hell has frozen over.

With the Sony trade-in promotion and instant rebates, now is a good time to buy an A7RII. I recently purchased an A7RII and Zeiss 24-70/4 from B&H, and by trading in an old, no longer used Canon digital Rebel, I knocked better than $1100.00 off the cost of the combination. I believe a similar trade-in promotion also works with the RX1R2, although you won't be able to save as much as I did on my combination. My recollection is that the trade-in promotion runs through March 31.

That said, I don't think an A7RII is really a substitute for an RX1/R/2. While the image stabilization, AF, and auto ISO implementation of the A7RII are huge advantages over my RX1, there isn't a comparable fast 35mm AF lens for the A7RII -- unless you want to go huge, such as with the Sony 35/1.4. As best I can tell, it is not possible to achieve RX1/R/2 image quality in any other package that is as compact, or even nearly as compact. I think the closest you can get is the A7RII and a Sony 35/2.8, but you are giving up a stop, plus, I suspect, other IQ advantages.

With the Sony trade-in promotion and instant rebates, now is a good time to buy an A7RII. I recently purchased an A7RII and Zeiss 24-70/4 from B&H, and by trading in an old, no longer used Canon digital Rebel, I knocked better than $1100.00 off the cost of the combination. I believe a similar trade-in promotion also works with the RX1R2, although you won't be able to save as much as I did on my combination. My recollection is that the trade-in promotion runs through March 31.

That said, I don't think an A7RII is really a substitute for an RX1/R/2. While the image stabilization, AF, and auto ISO implementation of the A7RII are huge advantages over my RX1, there isn't a comparable fast 35mm AF lens for the A7RII -- unless you want to go huge, such as with the Sony 35/1.4. As best I can tell, it is not possible to achieve RX1/R/2 image quality in any other package that is as compact, or even nearly as compact. I think the closest you can get is the A7RII and a Sony 35/2.8, but you are giving up a stop, plus, I suspect, other IQ advantages.
Agreed.
Which is why I plan at the moment to buy an RX1 and some Sony a7 model.

I'm just very interested in the perspective of how IQ or rendering is different tween various rx1 models.

I do see a difference in IQ as u said tween rx1 and A7r2 with many possible lens combos.

Although I'm curious about a potential a7r3

Last edited:
the RX1R II is a incredible beast, and much better then the original, which I love dearly and call a 'cult classic'. The focus is faster and just better on the RX1R II, and that sweet 42mp sensor just renders in such a sweet way, I own both, and when Sony makes a 3rd, I will buy that also.

m-629.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm very curious to hear anyone's opinion on how different versions of the RX1, the original and the mark 2 render.

I had the original RX1 until recently and loved it.
Sold it to get the new version but...
I find the RX1 to be very different than the new mark 2

I find the R2 to be rather sterile.
Some photos seem TOO sharp, while others are ok but seem to be missing some of the POP of the original.

I would love to buy the R2 for all the upgrades.
But I have a special project that just needs that special sauce.

Am I deluded?
Is there some merit to what my eyes see?

Can the AA filter be used to create less aggressive details?
Or do many users over sharpen the R2?
Is the POP missing?

Or is the 42 mp sensor just not up to the original rendering style.

Love hear some ideas on the subject.
I had an RX1 (bought used) and then replaced it with the 2 since I loved the camera, wanted the built in viewfinder and several other reasons. I agree, there was something special about the images from the original. I am not as experienced or as discerning as many photographers, but I noticed it right away. Subtle, but noticeable to me.

Sample RAW files for most cameras can be found on imaging-resource and photographyblog.

Sony RX1R II Review - Gallery

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

When comparing two different cameras from the same company with the same sensor size, one helpful thing to do is decompile Adobe's Camera Profiles for each camera and compare the code. The RX1 and RX1R Camera Standard code is identical, and the RX1R2 Camera Standard code is identical to the A7R2. This doesn't mean the images will be identical, but usually they are very close.

Taking a quick look through some other 24MP Sony cameras, I don't see any other Camera Standard files that match the RX1 and RX1R.

I had an RX1 (bought used) and then replaced it with the 2 since I loved the camera, wanted the built in viewfinder and several other reasons. I agree, there was something special about the images from the original. I am not as experienced or as discerning as many photographers, but I noticed it right away. Subtle, but noticeable to me.

I completely agree. The original has an amazing rendering that isn't duplicated by the next version.

I managed to buy another original and sadly after a week of using it I got the dreaded E:61:00 error on screen and the camera refuses to focus. And I'm out 1k, may have to send it in for repair or give up. Ugh it's exhausting trying to get a working version.

Sample RAW files for most cameras can be found on imaging-resource and photographyblog.

Sony RX1R II Review - Gallery

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

When comparing two different cameras from the same company with the same sensor size, one helpful thing to do is decompile Adobe's Camera Profiles for each camera and compare the code. The RX1 and RX1R Camera Standard code is identical, and the RX1R2 Camera Standard code is identical to the A7R2. This doesn't mean the images will be identical, but usually they are very close.

Taking a quick look through some other 24MP Sony cameras, I don't see any other Camera Standard files that match the RX1 and RX1R.

How does one see this information from Adobe Camera profiles?
This is important in validating that the visual differences are or can be quantified.

Thank you, very much.

I use dcpTool.

Introduction

It is a command line tool, available for free. There is also a Mac app available at the App Store:

dcpTool on the Mac App Store

Finding the Camera Profile .dcp files can be tricky. On a Mac they are inside the Lightroom Application, which is a package. If you download and install Adobe DNG Converter, Camera Profiles will be installed in an additional location:

/Library/Application Support/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

I prefer to investigate those profiles rather than open up the Lightroom package each time I get curious. I'm not sure about locations on Windows.

dcpTool used in combination with Adobe's DNG Profile Editor can be very powerful. And, with great power comes great mistakes! :) Lately I have been unwinding some mistakes I made when I first started making my own Camera Profiles. A while back I put a tutorial up on dpreview on making and modifying profiles.

Camera Profiles in Lightroom and ACR - Changing the tonality: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review

Back