Feedback "Other Gear" tripods, heads, bags, filters, gymbals, etc..

SkedAddled

Regular
Name
Craig
WARNING: POTN refugee post!
I've given sufficient notice, or I would hope.

I see the brands of capture devices, I see the software, the computers, the printers, the drones, the video,
the lighting, projects/repair, but I've yet to find anything about supports and accessories. Have I been blind to this?

I see some of this intermingled and spread out, but is any of this concentrated somehow?

I don't mean to try a shake-up here, particularly if I've missed how to find such information.
I'm simply accustomed to a 'Gear' section where I can browse information regarding brand-agnostics
such as bags or filters. Tripods/monopods and other support is always interesting, and I've made
a couple of bag purchases based on reviews & recommendations.

Are these sorts of threads consolidated or gathered somewhere I've missed?

I see the brands of capture devices, I see the software, the computers, the printers, the drones, the video,
the lighting, projects/repair, but I've yet to find anything about supports and accessories. Have I been blind to this?

I see some of this intermingled and spread out, but is any of this concentrated somehow?

I don't mean to try a shake-up here, particularly if I've missed how to find such information.
I'm simply accustomed to a 'Gear' section where I can browse information regarding brand-agnostics
such as bags or filters. Tripods/monopods and other support is always interesting, and I've made

I can't see them consolidated either. Bags, bags, bags would be good. Dangerous but good! 😊

I can't see them consolidated either. Bags, bags, bags would be good. Dangerous but good! 😊

I think it may be best to decide first if you like a series for threads on pieces or aspects of gear - or one huge collective one. And I'd really recommend using the search prompt to check if you can use something that already exists.

M.

I think it'd be worth trying the tripod/support route, but again, here's something to go through first - maybe this could be used/integrated?

M.

I think it may be best to decide first if you like a series for threads on pieces or aspects of gear - or one huge collective one. And I'd really recommend using the search prompt to check if you can use something that already exists.

M.
Sadly I don't think searching for a tiny, sturdy backpack that's built like the TARDIS inside will return any results! But you are right Matt, I'd just use the search function if I am looking for anything. I usually never go further than the new posts to see what's going on but then I'm more of a browser than a poster.

Please, by all means, start something if you don't find a thread that's what you need or think would be useful. If it works out and people participate, it'll be easy to keep it alive - but there's no guarantee I could give on what is certain to fly.

However, I remember a couple of attempts at similar threads; it just seems that so far, none got off the ground. I'll be more than willing to anchor some well-used threads on top of the "Other Gear" section (make them "sticky", it's called) if it helps.

M.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

It may have been more akin to thinking aloud, getting the idea out there for reactions.

My past experience has been browsing such specific threads.
This has prompted me to purchase some items due to reviews and discussion,
some of which I'd never known of.

While the above-linked thread discusses a tripod's usefulness or not under
different scenarios, I already know that most of my interests use a tripod.
As such, I like to learn about new or existing products and what people
think about quality and useage.

But as I said, it's just more along the lines of thinking aloud.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

It may have been more akin to thinking aloud, getting the idea out there for reactions.

My past experience has been browsing such specific threads.
This has prompted me to purchase some items due to reviews and discussion,
some of which I'd never known of.

While the above-linked thread discusses a tripod's usefulness or not under
different scenarios, I already know that most of my interests use a tripod.
As such, I like to learn about new or existing products and what people
think about quality and useage.

But as I said, it's just more along the lines of thinking aloud.
The idea's a legitimate one, to be sure - again, feel free to go ahead. If you want any help in setting it up, just say the word.

Be sure to start a new thread, though - this has become one to discuss things, not the real thing itself. I'll move it to the appropriate place after closing it.

M.

The idea's a legitimate one, to be sure - again, feel free to go ahead. If you want any help in setting it up, just say the word.

Be sure to start a new thread, though - this has become one to discuss things, not the real thing itself. I'll move it to the appropriate place after closing it.

M.
Thanks for that, Matt.

To cite a personal example, I stepped away from photography for a few years,
and so was not paying attention to forums and such. You know: life happens.

So when I come back to being interested, I revisited threads I'd enjoyed,
as well as looking into gear threads, just to catch up.

It seems that a brand called Sirui had entered the market, and people were praising
of their quality against cost, so I looked into it some more. And as a result of
reviews/mentions/discussions in a thread dedicated to Tripods/Monopods/Support,
I wound up replacing my Manfrotto ballheads with Sirui ballheads, and I'm very glad
that I did.

Had this information been scattered around throughout various threads
of differing topics, I may not have learned of Sirui at all, and would still be
swearing at my cheap, drooping and drifting Manfrotto ballheads.

With all the above said, I also can't fathom why such a basic and important bit
of gear so fundamental to the hobby and profession of being a photographer
has not been given a more prominent role in the gear listings.

With all the above said, I also can't fathom why such a basic and important bit
of gear so fundamental to the hobby and profession of being a photographer
has not been given a more prominent role in the gear listings.
Simple: Because we (the moderators, the admin) don't set up the list just so it's there.

Subforums "happen" (i.e. are established) if a subject has a decent number of threads to collect in such a new section.

I've explained this in the welcome thread (I think), but: This forum is the result of an amalgamation of quite a few earlier forums, most of them brand related, so, not really generally photography-centric, pretty much gear (as in, cameras and lenses for specific systems) related.

Cameraderie, the core of it, was formerly known as "SeriousCompacts" - so, mostly about compact cameras for enthusiasts. If portability is your utmost priority, it's not very likely that you spend a lot of time collecting and discussing more things you could carry.

So, it's quite natural in the specific case of Cameraderie that such threads (or topics) aren't prominently visible. There's no specific logic behind it. There's too much that's organically grown around here to expect this to be "complete" or even "standard".

I see your point, though - and I find it valid, too. There have been threads popping up - mostly questions or people seeking (buying) advice. It's not as if people weren't interested in those topics - it just never took off as something that was permanently visible and seemed important enough to enough people to warrant a subforum/section. On here, it's not the moderators or the administrator who decide what's important, it's the users - and not through discussion or consensus but through their actions (i.e. posting to threads).

You can of course propose a subforum for these items - I'm pretty sure we'll find enough to stuff it with right away. But the usual course things would take here is to get people interested and posting so that, in the end, we have something alive and well to put together, not a graveyard of short threads to hide in some corner with a title.

That's why I personally would start with one (or, if you really want, several) thread(s) and see what happens. I can make one central thread sticky for you, too - for starters. If threads see a lot of activity, it's a matter of course to make them sticky.

Finally, a piece of advice: This thread was (pretty obviously) mostly directed at the moderators and the administrator - I think it would have been better placed in the Mod Team Support section; it would have drawn the right kind of response right away there. I confess to having been on the wrong track with my responses initially.

M.

I'm catching up on my reading and came across this thread. Pardon me for not directly addressing some of the points that have already been talked about, but sometimes it's best/easier to not circle back.

Anyway, this thread got me to take a look at the "Other Gear" and I realized that was one of the forums that was used as a generic spot for putting a bunch of misc. threads as part of The Great Link 🖖that took place when a few different communities were merged to form Cameraderie.

Oh, boy, there was a lot of junk in there. I just moved about 90% of the threads from Other Gear to Photography Chat as that is a better spot for general discussion of gear as opposed to discussion of specific gear. To clarify, a discussion about a specific bag is perfect for Other Gear while a discussion about which kit is recommended for traveling is something that is more appropriate for Photography Chat.

I also added a bunch of prefixes to make it easier to find related threads. For example, there is now a 'bags' prefix and you can either click on the prefix shown in the thread listing to see all threads in Other Gear that also have a prefix of bags or you can click on bags in the prefix menu at the top of the Other Gear forum listing.

There is still some cleaning to do in Other Gear but, at the moment, it's late and I'm distracted watching Mobile Suit Gundam Wing so it's time to put the laptop down. And, of course, there is a big cleaning that now needs to be done in Photography Chat 😆 but that'll be another day.

So before I start rambling too much from lack of sleep and lack of caffeine, check out Other Gear and let me know if tonight's cleaning makes it any easier to find stuff.

Back