Film Out and About . . .

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
I've been traveling around the southern half of WV a fair bit this month, hiking different venues and trying to get some good foliage shots. This set is from my Pen D3 loaded with Agfa Vista 200 Plus. These were all taken before the big foliage change over the past week or so. I deliberately chose to expose the Vista 200 at 100, but many of my images were badly overexposed. I was able to adjust them to recover some of the detail. I'll scan them myself when the negatives arrive in the mail and see if that makes any difference.

TT
1110350887.jpg

1110350887-1.jpg

1110350931.jpg

1110350931-1.jpg

1110350963.jpg

1110350963-1.jpg

I'd bet you will be able to recover quite a bit out of those highlights. Just need a good scan and the proper tiff files.

The most important part of getting a good scan is where you set the white point and black point.

You want to clip slightly on either end of the histogram otherwise your photos will look washed out, but not so much that you clip important details like the photos you posted above.

Next most important is to make sure you scan to tiff, which just like a raw file on a digital camera will allow you to recover highlights and shadows much better with less artefacting.

Oh and colour correction for colour negatives can be a little tricky, but Lightroom can fix what your scanning software does a less than perfect job with.

Back