Fuji Over to Fuji and the XE2

deckitout

Regular
Well I almost bought the XE1 but ended up with an EM5, didn't get on with that then got a GH3, really like this and have been doing
some Video stuff with it.

As a second body I bought an EM1, and still haven't gelled with Olympus handing, ergonomics and menu system.

So today I pulled the plug and ordered an XE2 with the 18/55. I'll probably add a couple of primes and that's me set.

Nice to be on board

Phil

Had a bunch of Olympus and Panasonic micro four thirds cameras including a GH2 and E-M5 and they were all good in some way. Olympus cams were ALMOST great for me, but Panasonic had much better ergonomics. Hated the new Sony sensor in the E-M5 and the purple blobs. For some of what I shoot, it was an actual rather than potential problem.

I decided to try the Fuji experience and both IQ and handling really suit me. I'm in love with the aperture ring, shutter speed, and EV comp dials. The IQ, shot in JPG or properly processed, is nothing short of amazing and it's hard to imagine you could better it with any other 16mp camera short of a Nikon D4 or Df.

I agree that the X-E1 focus can be twitchy. That's part of the reason I've gotten an X-E2. I just got it yesterday, but shooting it in my house at night against the X-E1 the AF seems better both with contrast detect and of course phase detect. I suspect the read rate from the sensor itself is higher -- that's how micro four thirds primarily advanced their autofocus performance.

Anyway, I'd go nuts trying to shoot a bunch of manual primes for everything so my hats off to anyone who can do that. Doing events, I want working AF.

I agree with John, re: AF for work stuff. Really important to get THE shots rather than experimenting on manual primes. Theres some "professionals" who use manual lenses for sure but, if AF is available with fast, sharp glass, why bother with MF? --i just dont have the dough to get the 35 yet lol

I hope you guys do an xe2 review on here...?

Had a bunch of Olympus and Panasonic micro four thirds cameras including a GH2 and E-M5 and they were all good in some way. Olympus cams were ALMOST great for me, but Panasonic had much better ergonomics. Hated the new Sony sensor in the E-M5 and the purple blobs. For some of what I shoot, it was an actual rather than potential problem.

I decided to try the Fuji experience and both IQ and handling really suit me. I'm in love with the aperture ring, shutter speed, and EV comp dials. The IQ, shot in JPG or properly processed, is nothing short of amazing and it's hard to imagine you could better it with any other 16mp camera short of a Nikon D4 or Df.

I agree that the X-E1 focus can be twitchy. That's part of the reason I've gotten an X-E2. I just got it yesterday, but shooting it in my house at night against the X-E1 the AF seems better both with contrast detect and of course phase detect. I suspect the read rate from the sensor itself is higher -- that's how micro four thirds primarily advanced their autofocus performance.

Anyway, I'd go nuts trying to shoot a bunch of manual primes for everything so my hats off to anyone who can do that. Doing events, I want working AF.

I agree John, it was handling the GH3 that finally doomed the EM1, for me it was much more natural to access functions etc.

I would love to your opinion about the comparison between X-e2 and E-M1 as I have been very tempted to give it a try. My last m4/3 camera was GH3, before I sold everything and went to Sony A99 and then switched to Fuji.

The EM1 is an amazingly fast and slick Camera, very nice quality and feels better made than the XE2 IMO. AF is blistering fast, great jpegs although I am a RAW shooter. However, and this was the deciding factor, I just couldn't get to grips with the handling, menus etc. Every time I picked it up I had to think how to use it. The GH3 is far better ergonomically for me, and having only picked up my XE2 yesterday already know my way around it and it had better direct access to functions for me. It's not an image quality issue, both pretty much meet my needs but the Fuji for me is more about getting back to roots, manual functions etc.

I think you need to know what you want out of a Camara, for me it is ease of use, the EM1 didn't give me that despite it being a great Camera.

Hope that helps

The EM1 is an amazingly fast and slick Camera, very nice quality and feels better made than the XE2 IMO. AF is blistering fast, great jpegs although I am a RAW shooter. However, and this was the deciding factor, I just couldn't get to grips with the handling, menus etc. Every time I picked it up I had to think how to use it. The GH3 is far better ergonomically for me, and having only picked up my XE2 yesterday already know my way around it and it had better direct access to functions for me. It's not an image quality issue, both pretty much meet my needs but the Fuji for me is more about getting back to roots, manual functions etc.

I think you need to know what you want out of a Camara, for me it is ease of use, the EM1 didn't give me that despite it being a great Camera.

Hope that helps

Thank you for your advise. I think I'm gonna go ahead and give GX7 a try. As much as I like the results from Fuji, I just not been able to bond with it like I did with m4/3, specially GH series. EM1 looks like a great camera but I don't it justifies the price plus I hate Olympus menus and the big hump (hated it on OMD-M5 as well)

Thank you for your advise. I think I'm gonna go ahead and give GX7 a try. As much as I like the results from Fuji, I just not been able to bond with it like I did with m4/3, specially GH series. EM1 looks like a great camera but I don't it justifies the price plus I hate Olympus menus and the big hump (hated it on OMD-M5 as well)

If I were to shoot micro four thirds, I'd want a GH3 and a GX7 -- two excellent cams with different strengths and sizes. It would be a great combo. If I could only have one though, it'd be the GX7 I think. Hope it works out for you.

I really don't think Fuji's are for everybody. They're funny cameras but if you're into them there's nothing else like them. If you're not, then anything else will do, lol. It's really like anything else: one size does NOT fit all!!!

Agreed, GX7 is a great camera, I used one for a week and loved it. The only reason I got the Gh3 was the GX7 did not have a mic input and I shoot some Video and need that

If I were to shoot micro four thirds, I'd want a GH3 and a GX7 -- two excellent cams with different strengths and sizes. It would be a great combo. If I could only have one though, it'd be the GX7 I think. Hope it works out for you.

I really don't think Fuji's are for everybody. They're funny cameras but if you're into them there's nothing else like them. If you're not, then anything else will do, lol. It's really like anything else: one size does NOT fit all!!!

I have had GH3 before I left m4/3 and loved the handling. I would go as far as saying that it is still the best handling m4/3 camera but I want to try something new and that's why I was thinking about getting GX7

Agreed, GX7 is a great camera, I used one for a week and loved it. The only reason I got the Gh3 was the GX7 did not have a mic input and I shoot some Video and need that

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

Back