Fuji Overexposure with adapted lenses

scott

Rookie
I did a couple of quick tests today to compare my Konica 28/3.5 and Canon 24/2.8 on the X-E1. The raw files were noticeably overexposed -- salvageable, but I need to adjust exposure down a full stop in Silkypix.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is it a metering-mode problem?

I don't have the exact type lenses, but I have tried adapting a Minolta 50mm 1.4 and a Voigtlander 35mm 1.2, other than the difference in DOF, sharpness, etc.. The files were pretty much at the same exposure as the native XF 35mm 1.4

The kind of lens used doesn't affect how the camera meters exposure. Exposure is a function of brightness and camera/user settings such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation. It even works w/o any lens at all.

Definitely user error, I'd say.

On my X-E1 I've used legacy glass from Nikon, Pentax, Sigma and Vivitar. Primes and zooms. Even used pinholes. Never found any exposure errors due the lens. As the camera meters through the lens I can't see how any metering methods other than a separate meter or 'sunny 16' could be caused by any theoretical transmission differences.

I guess I should have specified that I was using aperture-priority exposure with the compensation dial set at zero, so I'm not sure what "user error" could have happened. I understand how exposure and metering work, which is why this struck me as odd enough to be worth asking the question.

I guess I should have specified that I was using aperture-priority exposure with the compensation dial set at zero, so I'm not sure what "user error" could have happened. I understand how exposure and metering work, which is why this struck me as odd enough to be worth asking the question.

That's strange.. I use aperture-priority with my legacy lenses all the time! & my lenses are faster lenses than what you were using.

Which metering did you select?

Not yet, but I can try it. But there's no sign of flare around the edges.

I'm trying more test pictures to see if this is a consistent problem, or if it was a fluke. I've only done a few so far, but I'm not seeing a consistent one-stop overexposure yet.

Not yet, but I can try it. But there's no sign of flare around the edges.

I'm trying more test pictures to see if this is a consistent problem, or if it was a fluke. I've only done a few so far, but I'm not seeing a consistent one-stop overexposure yet.

Good luck with your testing, and hopefully it was just a fluke!

The raw files were noticeably overexposed -- salvageable, but I need to adjust exposure down a full stop in Silkypix.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is it a metering-mode problem?

This is not a problem of exposure, but rather lens coating -or- lack thereof. My favorite Russian & E. German Soviet Era lenses also exhibit the same tendencies, but it's correctable. Lock in on a darker portion of the composition- then recompose... that and RAW manipulation fixes it.

Here's a shot with the Russian Jupiter 9 f2/85mm SONNAR copy M42 universal mount:

View attachment 3062

Attachments

• km04.jpg
    km04.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 162
Back