Bags padded insert options

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Hey all, I'm getting ready for a trip and am thinking I don't need a dedicated camera bag. I'll mainly be cruising around with a camera on a wriststrap or a sling. But I still need to protect a couple smallish cameras while in my carry-on backpack on the plane. Can anyone point me to something like a small soft padded bag (that would fit in a backpack) or some configurable padded inserts that I can use in my own bag?

none I have seen would protect a camera against a knock - probably a padded envelope would work just as well if not better (especially if doubled bag in bag)

On Amazon, search for "Koolertron insert" I have a couple that go in the bottom of backpacks and overnight bags. I also have a spare Hadley Pro insert that is currently living in a cheap (sub £25) high-street waxed cotton messenger bag. It looks like sh1t but will take the Hadley insert fully loaded plus room for sweater, gloves, hat, scarf, hip flask etc.

There are plenty on eBay. Trying to remember the actual name/brand is escaping me at the moment but there seemed to be a variety of different sizes last time I looked. I was contemplating one for my normal shoulder bag, for exactly those reasons (not wanting to cart a whole camera bag about). A quick eBay.au search reveals that they are mostly for DSLR but they are also quite configurable for your own purposes, it seems to me. And dead cheap too.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...insert&_nkw=padded+camera+insert&_sacat=15200

Here's the one on my Yashica 124 that I'm selling in action

Attachments

• 20141202-8.jpg
    20141202-8.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20141202-9.jpg
    20141202-9.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 127
Nope it's up as a BIN/BO.
It's worth every penny and more so I'm not letting it go for nothing.
Though I could do with the money so I can pay the rent ... :(

Nope it's up as a BIN/BO.
It's worth every penny and more so I'm not letting it go for nothing.
Though I could do with the money so I can pay the rent ... :(

I'm glad I got the "I'm gonna try film" bug out of my system or I'd be pleading with you to consider transatlantic shipping. Whomever gets it should be stoked.

Surprised no one mentioned either of these but I like the Crumpler Haven series or the Timbuk2 Snoop Messenger Inserts (depending on the shape and design of your bag).

If you're *just* looking to pad your cameras in the bag for travel only, you can just wrap them in some of your clothes, buy cheap lens wraps, or another interesting option I've seen is repurposing those cheap beer/soda can foam insulators as padded protectors.

Back