Critique Wanted Paintshop Pro x4 Experiment

Hi all, I am experimenting with my new Fuji x10 and I wanted to have a black and white photo with my son's original eye color. I layered a color image and a black and white image. I also used a glamour glow too.This is my first attempt and I would love HONEST feedback. I won't be insulted. :) Thanks in advance.

jake-soft-glow-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is the original file.

DSCF0424-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great shot ! too be honest I dont like the glow as his face is overexposed , when you convert to black and white try adjusting the midtones as with portraits they can make a difference.Nice photo though !

It is a bit too glowy/halo-ish for me, but I like the subtle eye colour thing. I'm not a great processor so I wouldn't know how to suggest changes.

I like the idea, will be a great picture when you iron out the glitches.

He's so incredibly cute that for me, it's difficult to find anything to dislike.

If anything you could add a tiny bit more clarity to your first and maybe see what that would be like? I am not familiar with your software so don't know if that term "clarity" even works for you. I often use "Glamour Glow" in Color Efex Pro 4 and then continue in Lightroom to enhance to picture to bring out more details... Sometimes just adding a touch of contrast or using the "curves" for changing "light", "highlight", "dark" or "shadow" tones can also make a big difference with the smallest amount of change.

On my monitor your son looks great in both photos, though in the first we don't get to see his freckles very much. I don't think he has a "halo" look or anything like that in the first. Different eyes, different monitors? Who knows.

Please let us know what you think and if you try anymore slight changes, OK?

Back