Fuji Pana Leica 25mm 1.4 vs Fujinon 35mm 1.4

asterinex

Regular
Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here my question.
I currently own an Olympus E-P1 and the Pana Leica 25mm. I really love this lens.
Now I want to upgrade my body to something better. Either I stick with m43 and by the OM-D or the new EPL5, or I switch system. Sell my pana Leica and buy the Fuji E-X1 with the fujinon 35mm 1.4. I really like the specs and look of the X-E1.
Anyone as both lenses and can compare them? Am i going to regret the sell of the Pana Leica ? Is the Fujinon on par or better?

Having used the 35/1.4 briefly and having used m43 w/ the PL25 extensively, I would say they are both great lenses. The real question is which camera system do you prefer. There are trade-offs to both.

Moving up to the OMD or EPL5, you will have MUCH better AF speed, much better (cleaner) high ISO, and an all around better/faster shooting experience. It will also be a faster shooting experience than the Fuji. But the Fuji image quality will be better in many ways than the newest Pens. BUT the bodies have really different handling. I tried the XPro1, and did not like it as much as compared to the Olympuses, but that was all personal choice.

Having said that, I recently sold all my m43 gear, and am thinking about what I next want to try. I think you should see if you can handle the Fuji first, before committing to switching systems. But in terms of the lenses themselves, I think they are both solid lenses.

I did have both for a while. I had the 25 and then added the 35 when I got an X-Pro. They're both really nice, but I'd say the 35 is even nicer, with narrower DOF and creamier bokeh. The only downside is it doesn't AF as fast as the 25, but that's assuming one of the newer m43 bodies. It's probably pretty similar to the 25 on the EP1, maybe a bit faster. I'd say its the best of the three original Fuji lenses and they're all really nice.

-Ray

I didn't mention the DOF, because that's really more a part of the platform than the lens itself, but it's a valid point.

they are close enough that they should not decide which system you go with. Either one of them will be your main "normal" lens. If speed is something you look for in a camera, you should stick with m43. The Fuji system is also less complete as it sits now. But if you're more into contemplative photography and shooting moving targets isn't your thing and you're happy with a couple primes, then the Fuji could be your match.

For the time being there is better choice of lenses on omd, but Since I like bokeh I find that I have to purchase more lenses on OMD to fullfill that need. The nex hits the sweetspot for now for what I like shooting.

Selling one system to buy another is not a good idea. If you do that you'll never really know. If you can rent an E-M5 and a Fuji (XP1 for now). Then compare them (that usually drives me crazy!). You know M43s, the Fuji has to be experienced. Right now it's easy to shoot RAW with Olympus, not so easy with Fuji's new sensor.

Specs are almost meaningless. The E-M5 ticked a lot of boxes for me, but I just sold it because I could never really get along with it. I'm sticking to the Ricohs I know and love. Not as sophisticated or elegant, but they work better for me. I've tried the Fuji and returned it. There are some amazing aspects to it, but in the end I moved on.

For me the overall capability and depth of each system would be the key deciding factor here. While the thought of selling the PL25/1.4 does give me heart palpatations, I think that the F35/1.4 would be a fine replacement in all areas except absolute focus speed. Having said that, neither of the Fuji cameras offer a shooting option (tilt/touchscreen) where I would use the faster AF anyway, so that is currently more of a body and system issue than a lens issue.

I would also point out that both the output and the experience of shooting an E-P1 versus an E-M5 or E-PL5 will be very different.

Thx for all your reactions. Indeed, the thought of selling the PL25 gives me palptations too :).
It is a cool lens.
If I had enough money I would keep the PL25 and buy the Fuji. I need the money to fund the fuji. If I have to choose between fast af, tiltable touchscreen and a slower system with superior IQ, I would choose for the IQ. I mostly take my time when taking a shot. (Except for my kids) . The Shallower Dof and better high ISO performance is tempting.
But I would be disapointed finding out that the Pl25 outperforms the fuji 35mm. Mmmm, still have time to think about it. I make my decision at the end of the year at christmas:).

Thx for all your reactions. Indeed, the thought of selling the PL25 gives me palptations too :).

The Shallower Dof and better high ISO performance is tempting.
But I would be disapointed finding out that the Pl25 outperforms the fuji 35mm. Mmmm, still have time to think about it. I make my decision at the end of the year at christmas:).
The shallower (slightly) DOF and slightly better high ISO are system issues, rather than lens specific, but you need the Fuji to get 'em, so it makes sense to consider. The AF speed is the ONLY way the Pany 25 "outperforms" the fuji 35 and I doubt there's much or any difference using the 25 with an EP1. But there's a very noticeable difference if you'd been using the 25 with the OMD or G5 or something newer, where focus is just plain immediate.

I didn't have any palpitations about selling the 25 - I had both in my bag for a month or two with the X-Pro and OMD. I reached for the Fuji and not the Pany during that time, so it was very easy to sell the one that wasn't getting any use.

Good luck,

-Ray

The Xpro1 + 35/1.4 renders images that I personally like better than the OMD + PL25. But I believe it's more about the camera sensor than the lenses themselves. It's a tough call, particularly when you are considering switching systems altogether. Like others have said, given that you really like the PL25 already, it makes sense to put it on a nicer m4/3 body first. There is noticeable improvement in the m4/3 sensors since the EP1 first came out. It may make you love the PL25 even more. The PL25 sits on my OMD most of the time.

I don't have a Fuji X 35 (but love the images I have seen around here from that lens), but I am a serial re-getter (c) of the PL25. The thing that always brings me back, in addition to the speed and look of the images, is the instantaneous AF on a late generation m4/3 body. It just works great for me with family candids, nights out with friends, etc.

(c) Armando

How about differences in IBIS ?
The fuji bodies and the Fuji X 35 have no kind of image stabilisation. Is this something to consider ? Does it give a lot of blurred results ?

Between the lens at f1.4 and a sensor that handles ISO 6400 incredibly well, it's pretty easy to find a workable shutter speed even in near darkness with the Fuji, so no, I wouldn't say you get a lot of blurred results. That said, if you're using the Pany 25mm on the OMD with its ridiculously good IBIS system and you're trying for really slow exposures to induce motion blur or something, you can go much longer with that setup. But a far less significant difference with other Olympus bodies and none with Panasonic bodies. I'd say its a non-issue unless you simply WANT to use really slow shutter speeds.

-Ray

The general image quality from the fuji will be better. Some experts say that the X-E1/X-Pro1 have better dynamic range than the Canon 5Dmk2 and better over all IQ too. To be honest I doubt you will see much difference between an OMD with the 25 PL and an X-E1 with the 35mm. I would still go for the Fuji personally (I have an X-E1 on order) as from what I have seen from the 35mm on the X-E1 is beyond outstanding. I have had a 25mm f1.4 on a G3 and it was superb but still not quite as good as the Fuji but that is my personal opinion and we are all different. You will be pleased regardless. If you go for the OMD you will have an awesome IBIS system regardless of what lens you use. Also DOF will be better on the 35mm fuji.

One other thing, If you get the OMD have a look at the Pana 12-35mm f2.8 for a walk about zoom......it's awesome on the OMD!!!!

Back