Micro 4/3 Showcase Panasonic LX100 I/II picture thread

From two largely frustrating sessions with the LX100 and K30 trying to get decent star photos, this JPG from the LX100 was about the best result. Focussing is clearly a problem for me, I just can't seem to get it nailed.
P1030155.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From two largely frustrating sessions with the LX100 and K30 trying to get decent star photos, this JPG from the LX100 was about the best result. Focussing is clearly a problem for me, I just can't seem to get it nailed.
View attachment 121430
This is a great picture. What was the exposure data? I can see the beginning of star trails. Focussing has been difficult for me also, so I’ve used the hyperfocal setting or simply focussed manually on distant trees then reframed.

Isn't it possible to select manual focus and then just focus at infinity? Failing that, stop down a bit and use a hyperfocal distance of a few miles ;)

-R
Well you would think so but with M4/3 I've found that you need to focus just short of infinity, and it's surprisingly difficult to get it exactly right. I haven't tried astro shots with the LX100 before. If it's clear again tonight I may have one last go before the cloud returns.

Hi Shootz. Interesting pictures, interesting place! Looks like a store, perhaps? It’s hard to discern the colour accuracy — there seems to be a blue cast to the pictures. What settings in Photo Style did you use on the LX100?

I thought the color was too blue like it was set for flash. I used Auto for white balance. I have no idea
what he color of the light source was. probably florescent.
IA, AWB

iA is one way to set the camera, — sort of makes it a real ‘point-and-shoot.’ But, your are very limited as to the control that you have. The camera is capable of so much more. Taking it off iA and putting into Program mode (ie, shutter speed on A and aperture on A) opens up many opportunities to refine the the image. For example you can use exposure compensation, alter colour settings and white balance. The depth of field control is great with this lens so you can try shooting with the shutter speed on A and choosing different aperture settings. Then of course there are the filters, selectable with the button beside the exposure compensation selector.

You'd be surprised but the Azores looks just like that, especially on a grey day..
View attachment 122230
Towards Povoacao by Martin Connolly, on Flickr

Lush landscapes — I love them!

Meanwhile, in the GWN, neither sleet, freezing rain, nor heavy snow shall fell Mighty Dorothy:
31259493544_cf22e4152a_o.jpg
Mighty Dorothy 2 by kleles, on Flickr

31259495884_70a8350969_o.jpg
Mighty Dorothy 1 by kleles, on Flickr

I love snow pictures. Here a manual focus macro-ish

OW-Yao-Leeds-1.jpg

Guess the shutter speed :)
ow-yao-crkt.jpg

Last edited:
YES it helped
Focus Peaking also works in Auto Focus mode when the shutter pressed half-way. The LX100 lens allows for great control of depth of field, and, with Focus Peaking, control over the focus point. So, for example, when I take a picture of a tree trunk beyond the closest branches I can focus precisely on the trunk. This cannot be done with Auto Focus alone.

Here’s an example of the relationship between aperture and DOF. This is a refrigerator magnet with about ¼ inch depth (.6 cm):
P1010351.jpg

f1.7, 200 ISO 4.5 MB

P1010352.jpg

f8, 1600 ISO, 6.2 MB

Whenever I visit the Aviation museum in Ottawa I am reminded of the young men who vanquished and/or perished flying the Lancaster bombers in WWII. The age range of most crew members was between 18 and 25 years old. This was and is an awesome machine.
Avro 683 Lancaster X - Canada Aviation and Space Museum
View attachment 122679

The minister who married me and my first (and late) wife back in the 70's....and christened my 2 children .......he was tail end Charlie on the Lancs. More often than not, I believed they were hosed out of the small space they occupied. He was lucky to have survived. He was the most charming and humane man I have ever met

I'm just reading an interesting book about the RAF bombing campaign during WW2 (Patrick Bishop - Bomber Boys) (recommended). Apparently the gunners in Lancasters and similar bombers were reluctant to shoot at any German night fighters they might spot as to do so would give away their position. Not a good idea to fire .303 rifle rounds at an enemy who would reply with 20mm cannon shells.

-R

Back