Micro 4/3 Showcase Panasonic LX100 I/II picture thread

I'm just reading an interesting book about the RAF bombing campaign during WW2 (Patrick Bishop - Bomber Boys) (recommended). Apparently the gunners in Lancasters and similar bombers were reluctant to shoot at any German night fighters they might spot as to do so would give away their position. Not a good idea to fire .303 rifle rounds at an enemy who would reply with 20mm cannon shells.

-R

Good point! Was it because of the flash from the machine guns or the use of tracers?

The Lancaster and the Fortress were my favorite bombers of WW2.

I just went back and found the passage in question, and unfortunately the author doesn't say. But I think the use of tracer bullets was universal (?). Here's the whole passage:

Despite the weight of German defences it was possible to reach the target area without encountering fighters. Some gunners completed a tour without ever seeing a German aircraft or firing their guns in anger. It was just as well. The turrets were fitted with Browning .303s which took rifle-calibre bullets and had a short range. They became even less effective when the Luftwaffe improved the armour on its fighters. They offered very little protection to the bombers and perhaps their main value was as a psychological deterrent.

In these unequal circumstances, if a gunner spotted a fighter he was wise to hold his fire. During his tour as a rear gunner Peter Twinn 'never fired a shot because if you did then that immediately gave your position away to other fighters who were in the area who couldn't see you and they would come straight in, pinpoint you and that was it. More often than not if you did open fire it was the last thing you did.'

-R

Should have used focus peaking and a bigger aperture. Darn.

IMG_0264.JPG

If I could I would take off Dec 20 to Jan 20 and stay in Las Vegas.
It's Christmas and New Years .
The SHOT show (sporting good trade show) is a week,
The Antique Gun Show is a 3 day weekend,
The AVN (look it up) is a few days the same week.

I went to the Antique Gun show, They had the ACG (custom gunmakes) get together as well as FEGA (Firearms Engravers).
The wood stock carving may look a bit gaudy but it's purpose is to show off what is possible.

ak-wood-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

martini-1.jpg

martini-2.jpg

stock-carve-1.jpg

stock-carve-2.jpg

sw500-1.jpg

View attachment 123186

Infrared on the FujiX100...

I use an 'unmodified' X100 for general work, but have found over the years, that the Fuji sensor is VERY sensitive to I.R. light. So much so that you can slap a Heliopan 715nm or Hoya 720nm (R72) onto the lens... do a custom White Balance of grass... set the aperture to f2... select a controllable hand held value (this was taken on 1/40 sec)... and let the ISO take care of itself on Intelligent... and away you go...

If you want to use a tripod... the sky's the limit... literally..

Nice pic, Mal, but this thread is for Panasonic LX100 :).

Here's the Fujifilm X100 forum Fuji X100 Forum

finally got the "move focus point" to work, there are some mutually exclusive setting on focus which stopped me. Also set the Fn for it.

rol-exp1-kindle-1.jpg

After a few days of heavy snow it finally looks like winter. Our stroll in Gatineau Park was rewarded by serenity and beautiful scenery.
32128453683_587a616a90_o.jpg
Gatineau Park 2 by kleles, on Flickr
32902538456_aa132abd9b_o.jpg
Gatineau Park 1 by kleles, on Flickr
32128442573_ec659ba79a_o.jpg
Gatineau Park 3 by kleles, on Flickr

Back