Micro 4/3 Panasonic 14-42x poor quality - comparison shots

Iansky

All-Pro
I recently picked up my new GX1 + 14-42 X lens, not happy with it - the controls are awkward and in the wrong place and the focus is soft.

I have done some comparison shots with my original 14-45mm metal mount lens and it is a sharper lens across all focal lengths.

The images below are all 100% crops from full image and have only been adjusted for tone/col/contrast & levels, no sharpening.

The original 14-45mm is better at all focal lengths and feels a more solid lens and at 14mm & 45mm it is a lot better than the new pretender - what a shame considering the price & hype!

Lens_comparisons.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is even a difference at wide angle, but not so pronounced. But at the tele end the superiority of the old lens is striking.
Guess there's no free lunch - the same optical quality cannot be packed into so much smaller lens (at least for now). Thanks for the comparison!

In this case I agree, they were going for size not quality and alas I think they have failed!

It is a shame because the GX1 is superb in every way and for me, an improvement on my GF1.

Back