Panasonic Panasonic DMC-FZ1000/FZ2500

Very nice Sue. I keep thinking I'd probably be quite happy with a camera like this for a lot of my shooting... Maybe someday I'll act on it... You seem to have a very nice feel for this camera.

-Ray

I've also picked up a FZ1000 recently, and I'm really starting to enjoy it.
Took a bit of time to accept that it's never going to have the pixel level quality of my Sigma DP2M, but it doesn't really need to, this is a tool for other situations.

As a camera I like it a lot better than my A6000. The EVF is better, the controls are better and I don't have to scratch my head over which lenses to bring.

Here's a couple of shots from the Zoo.
26748885005_889640427c.jpg

Regal lion
by Christian Hass Jensen, on Flickr

26017180713_e4b5b30cc5.jpg

Prairie dog portrait

26748885425_c4667d1c03.jpg

Wolf

Sue. Hi, Pleased you are at peace with this camera. You are getting the best out of it. I am in Assisi at present and using it a lot......especially for slow motion shots. Also used it for landscape, street and nights. After some misgivings I am beginning to enjoy it.

It is coming to Australia with me in July as my main shooter.

Will post shots soon. Only have iPad with me with limited memory left.

Loving this cam. Pete, I think you'll find its all you need when travelling. Its a great compromise between the heavy gear and the tiny pocket stuff.

Here's one from this morning, couldnt get near my usual place for shooting at Newcastle Harbour, all the streets were closed off for the Mother's Day Classic fun run. Bad luck if you are unable to walk the mile to the beach from the nearest parking area (EIGHT parking lots became unavailable because of a few runners.) RUDE and completely inappropriate and forgetful of the disabled. [end rant]

So I went elsewhere.

This, from Strzlecki Lookout.
26878352835_dfc0ee3214_b.jpg

Sunrise
by Sue Wotton, on Flickr

I find it rather peculiar that no real showcase thread has emerged yet (at least I can't find one ...); maybe we can revive this one ...

_1000022.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_1000023.jpg

I find the camera surprisingly rewarding to work with; the only catch being the choosy AF (i.e. if it finds contrast edges, it's lightning fast, if it doesn't, it refuses to do anything, even switch to MF with "AF/MF" enabled ... you can only "post-MF" if a AF target has been acquired) that made me give up on a couple of cloudscapes ... The files handle very well in post - not :mu43: well, but almost; in particular, highlight recovery is quite good by comparison, shadow recovery is solid, but doesn't quite compare.

M.

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed having mine. Its going to be a keeper (mind you, seems like they all are, for me). Its the one I pick up before I consider anything else. I don't print anymore, so no real need to use anything "better".

This fellow was in the top of a gumtree across the road. It came out fairly well all things considered.

IMG_7468.jpg

Out and about on Sunday Morning with the FZ1000. Still the first camera I pick up when I go out.

Sufr Rescue. The guy in the middle had to be pulled out of the ocean. Rip? no idea.
8C962A7A-3A1A-44E5-8147-679D2EE2B594.jpeg

Surf Rescue spectator
F9AC1EF7-5C6D-42FC-B909-CA5FAD35E2E7.jpeg

Surf Rescue supervisor? who knows...
790A2549-6EA0-41DF-96C9-AF72F25F4075.jpeg

Glad you're still at it with this camera, Sue. I actually picked up a brand-new FZ1000 for US$499 on an Amazon.com Gold Box Deal last September. I used it as a second camera at my niece's at-home wedding. I needed something that was easy to operate that I could hand to another niece as a B camera. It worked out fine and I was surprised at how pleasant the FZ1000 is to handle and operate. The model may be a few years old but it clearly still delivers the goods.

Glad you're still at it with this camera, Sue. I actually picked up a brand-new FZ1000 for US$499 on an Amazon.com Gold Box Deal last September. I used it as a second camera at my niece's at-home wedding. I needed something that was easy to operate that I could hand to another niece as a B camera. It worked out fine and I was surprised at how pleasant the FZ1000 is to handle and operate. The model may be a few years old but it clearly still delivers the goods.

Its absolutely fine for nearly all my photography. A few years old doesnt matter to me at all, and as long as it continues to behave, I'll keep using it. The only replacement I would (maybe) consider would be one of the later RX10s, with the 600mm lens and environmental sealing... but I dont *need* that, and I sure can't afford one. I've no desire to upgrade to the 2500, I'm not into video at all so it would be wasted on me.

Thanks for your remarks, Steve :)

I went for my first walk with the FZ2500. It will take some practice to get used to the controls, but my first impression is positive. AF does hunt a bit in shadow areas, but it locks on quickly in the light. I used the 4K photo mode, as it was rather breezy. The first red flower image is SOOC except for resizing. I used FastStone to do some light PP on the others. Take a look at the two images with the bee and beetle. One was lightly sharpened, one not.

I did something I haven't done in years. I set the camera to center-weighted metering and single point AF, set the mode dial on P, and went at it. The camera did fine. The birds on the feeder were in heavy shade, so the detail isn't as clear as I'd like, but I have no complaints. I like this camera.

P1000147.JPG

P1000158.JPG

P1000160.JPG

P1000168.JPG

P1000170.JPG

P1000171.JPG

P1000173.JPG

I went for my first walk with the FZ2500. It will take some practice to get used to the controls, but my first impression is positive. AF does hunt a bit in shadow areas, but it locks on quickly in the light. I used the 4K photo mode, as it was rather breezy. The first red flower image is SOOC except for resizing. I used FastStone to do some light PP on the others. Take a look at the two images with the bee and beetle. One was lightly sharpened, one not.

I did something I haven't done in years. I set the camera to center-weighted metering and single point AF, set the mode dial on P, and went at it. The camera did fine. The birds on the feeder were in heavy shade, so the detail isn't as clear as I'd like, but I have no complaints. I like this camera.

View attachment 184027
View attachment 184028
View attachment 184029

View attachment 184033
View attachment 184030
View attachment 184031
View attachment 184032

Looks good to me!

Cheers, Jock

Back