Panasonic Panasonic DMC-LX5 Review

Ray, You will be better served by a wide margin with the LX5. It's the fastest point and shot I've used. The wider lens and the ability to shoot 16x9 may also be something you find useful.
Thanks much - I may have to try to find one and check it out. Can you tell me if it had a distance scale so you set up for a specific distance in MF and then leave it there for hyperfocal shooting? That's one thing the S90 has that my m43 camera doesn't and its a really helpful feature. I can work around it well enough, but if the LX5 has it, that would be another reason to look at it.

-Ray

Ray, there is no distance scale. You can lock in a focus distance and also a preset focal length. The camera will stay there until you change it.
The camera shows the DOF at any given focal length.
Im loving it. Real nice and easy to set up.

Everyone. Yes, the files look yellow green. Once you do auto WB and auto tone in LR, they are beautiful.
Shooter

I found this interesting:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

"The thing that jumps out the most to me in in this comparison is the difference in color saturation. To my eyes, the Canon photos are more saturated and pleasing. In terms of noise, it's really a close call. I think the PowerShot S95 retains a tiny bit more detail than the LX5, but I think that by shooting RAW and post-processing you could probably close the gap entirely.

Overall, the LX5's image quality impressed me quite a bit. It definitely produces some of the best photos of any compact camera on the market right now. That's not to say it's perfect, of course. Exposure was generally spot on, though the LX5 will clip highlights at times. Colors look great -- everything is nice and saturated. I should mention that in iAuto mode you can turn on "happy mode", which further saturates things. While image sharpness was generally very nice, I did find that the camera was a bit too aggressive with noise reduction on low contrast subjects (this example really stands out to me). There were a few other occasions where some items in a photo were noticeable softer than everything else (example), for no apparent reason. In general, though, noise levels were very low all the way through ISO 800 and, as I illustrated earlier, shooting RAW and doing some simply post-processing can squeeze more detail and better color (especially in artificial light) out of the LX5's photos. Purple fringing did pop up here and there, but really only in extreme circumstances. "

I've always liked Jeff's reviews, and he seems quite happy with the LX5, even though that he thinks the S95 is slightly better when it comes to noise.

DJ,
I'll be honest, I don't pay close attention to reviews. Thanks for posting it.
Regarding the LX5. It fits in my pocket. That means the world to me.
I have one of those little amature wrist straps on it.
It's a great companion.
Processing the images is very easy. They come to life in LR.
I love the camera. I love the files. A few friends bought the camera on my word so it must be doing something right.

The step zoom and focus lock are 2 of my favorite features.
More later.....
Don

Hi folks. I wish I had more time and will elaborate more when I get home. I am in agreement with the colors that come out of the LX-5. A quick trick to enhance the speed on the G9 and G10 was to set up everything manually like the WB to daylight. Well I did this the first time out with the LX-5 and came back with bluish looking images. Almost looked like Velvia 50. So I reset everything back to the factory settings and sure enough, the Color balance is a little funky. Now I am jpeg shooter so getting the color is right is important to me. I just about have it right using the in camera pp tools we have to work with. The images I made last night look pretty close. Of course it is easy enough to set the color balance in CS5, But I am one of those guys who prefer to be out shooting, than playing on the computer. See you folks tonight. :)

Javier,

Good info.

Quick question. My girlfriend is wanting a new camera, and I'm thinking a Canon S95, LX5, or Sam. TL500 would do the trick. On the latter two, it has been mentioned in reviews that NR for jpeg cannot be adjusted. Do you know if it can be adjusted in the LX5?

BBW,

I sold the LX5 and kept the TL500/EX1. The IQ and lens are so much better on the TL500. As Javier said, I want to get the pictures right OOC with out having to PP each one.

I love the features and speed of the LX5 but the samsung wins the day on:

1. Accurate colors (I would have kept it if not for this and #4)
2. Generally sharper lens.
3. True black. Let me explain. The LX5 blacks (as seen at 100%) have a purplish cast to them.
4. Adjustable color output. All of these high end P&S's have the ability to adjust the RGB output color, except the LX5. So no amount of in-camera fiddling will get the color right.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new olympus prosumer P&S (Lens = F1.8-2.4 26mm-100mm). My past experience with their DSLRs was mostly favorable and Olympus and Pentax, for that matter, have some of the best jpg engines.

Javier,

Good info.

Quick question. My girlfriend is wanting a new camera, and I'm thinking a Canon S95, LX5, or Sam. TL500 would do the trick. On the latter two, it has been mentioned in reviews that NR for jpeg cannot be adjusted. Do you know if it can be adjusted in the LX5?

Yes, the LX-5 does have quite the choice of settings to control noise. Something that is not spoken about is how well the LX-5 controls noise right out of the box.

BBW,

I sold the LX5 and kept the TL500/EX1. The IQ and lens are so much better on the TL500. As Javier said, I want to get the pictures right OOC with out having to PP each one.

For me it did come down to a choice between these two cameras. I had the opportunity to try them both. I could not see any difference in image quality, but the TL500 did produce better colors than the LX-5. For me,since 95, no 99% of what I shoot is street, I chose speed and ISO performance hence the LX-5. As far as the blacks go, I too did notice they where really not black. A simple fix was to increase the contrast in camera and it took care of that. Now in the film set up modes, there is allot to play with and I feel close to where I need to be color balance wise. Still, I should not have to go through this to get the proper color, but it is what it is. Now having said this, I would not be surprised to see a firmware upgrade to correct this. Should be easy enough.

I went to a Christian concert this evening and got off a few snaps.
The only PP done is slight cropping and that be it. All at ISO 800 hand held. Natural lousy church light.
I went +.7 EV, should have went .+3EV

Pastor Chuck Smith
ChuckSmithISO800.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Love song.
Lovesongiso800a.jpg

Lovesongiso800.jpg

Lovesongiso800b.jpg

Pastor Chuck doing what he does.
Chucksmithprayingforaladyiso800.jpg

Javier,
Seems that your doing ok with the LX5. if the above are OOC jpegs, you might be rocking the boat with some other cameras. I never use OOC jpeg but I do appreciate that you do and so well.....
shooter

BBW,

1. Accurate colors (I would have kept it if not for this and #4)
2. Generally sharper lens.
3. True black. Let me explain. The LX5 blacks (as seen at 100%) have a purplish cast to them.
4. Adjustable color output. All of these high end P&S's have the ability to adjust the RGB output color, except the LX5. So no amount of in-camera fiddling will get the color right.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new olympus prosumer P&S (Lens = F1.8-2.4 26mm-100mm). My past experience with their DSLRs was mostly favorable and Olympus and Pentax, for that matter, have some of the best jpg engines.

SocorroPhotog, thank you for getting back to me with your reasons for making the choice you did. I appreciate it very much. So many really nice serious compacts out there - so many choices! You know, if you felt like it, it would be wonderful if you'd consider adding your thoughts to this thread here: https://www.photographerslounge.org...own-ex1-my-ongoing-review-updated-10-3-a-496/ because I'm sure there are plenty of others who are eager to hear more about the Samsung TL500/EX1. Thanks again, SocorroPhotog.(y)

Javier, appreciate reading your feedback on comparing the TL500 with this camera, as well, and why you made the choice you did.

I, too, am impressed with your jpeg results with the LX5 - and you sure do get around with it! As Don says, it's a take with you everywhere kind of camera.

Thanks for the feedback.

Some of the pictures I've seen is that the samsung is overly agressive with NR in its jpeg, and it can't be turned down. Decisions decisions. More accurate colors vs less noise.

Many thanks for the excellent compact camera Web site!

I am planning on replacing my Nikon Coolpix 8400. I shoot RAW exclusively and the two things that have always bugged me are the RAW shot-to-shot time and small, dim EVF.

I am considering the Samsung EX1 and the LX5, so I am hoping that folks who have used both can tell me how they compare speed-wise when shooting RAW. As far as the EVF/optical viewfinder options, I have read at least one negative comment regarding the Panasonic EVF: too dim with limited field of view. If that is indeed the case, would I be better served with an OV?

The camera will be used mainly for street and travel photography when I don't have a DSLR available.

You mention the speed of the LX5, which is one of the things attracting me to it. I have an S90, which is a wonderful sub-compact for bike rides, but feels pretty sluggish for street shooting - I've missed or blurred quite a few shots waiting for the camera to react to my shutter input. So I'm thinking about the LX5 for street, but I'm really attracted to the tl500 also, primarily for the articulated OLED screen. I like to shoot from chest level and I'm generally flying blind when I do that (although I've gotten reasonably good at knowing what I'm getting). But I'd like to try a camera with a fold out screen to be able to shoot at chest or belly level and actually see what I'm framing in advance.

So, how is the speed on the tl500? Is is notably slower than the LX5? Any comparison with the S90/95? You already mentioned that the LX5 is a good deal faster than the S90 - where does the TL500 slot into this equation???

Thanks very much - your input has been very helpful..

-Ray

For speed the LX5 wins hands down. I've tried a few action shots with both and the TL500/EX1 constantly misses the shot. The LX5 is also much faster in raw shot to shot times. Heck if they ever firmware fix the color issue I'll quite likely jump ship to the LX5.

Side note: The NR can not be turned down on the TL500 but it still seems to retain more detail all the way up to 3200 than the LX5 with NR set to the lowest -2. I've taken side by side shots in a room lit by (1) 25watt bulb and I can read text on my subjects with the TL500 and it's just mush on the LX5 (with NR = -2).

Back