Panasonic Panasonic GM1 to LF1 image comparison (JPEG only)

D

dalethorn

There was no 'fair' way to compare these cameras, but I did anyway, using the best settings for each in Program mode and shooting JPEGs only. I left the sharpening, NR, saturation and contrast set to defaults. Using a Manfrotto tabletop tripod from about 12 feet distance, I took several images with each camera, selecting the best of each (there were only a couple minor differences). The zoom/FL for the LF1 was 70 mm and for the GM1 it was 64 mm (maximum). The GM1 has a 16 to 12 MP advantage over the LF1, but the slight (70 to 64 mm) zoom advantage of the LF1 makes up a little bit of that. There's a perspective difference, partly due to inexact tripod placement, but I used autofocus to get the best sharpness on the grapefruits.

The biggest difference I see between the images is the detail on the grapefruits. But looking at details elsewhere - the etching on the coffee cup, the lettering on the Leica box etc. - the LF1 does a remarkable job with those. Perhaps shooting in RAW the LF1 could avert the smearing on the grapefruits by applying a better noise reduction - don't know.

f4.2, 1/15 sec., ISO 80.
Test43_Panasonic_Lf1_42_15_80_s.jpg

f5.6, 1/25 sec., ISO 200.
Test43_Panasonic_Gm1_56_25_200_s.jpg

I just can't get beyond the slow lens of the LF1... f/5.9 @ 200mm. :( If the lens were f/4 or f/4.5 at the long end, I'd be a lot more interested in the camera.

I just can't get beyond the slow lens of the LF1... f/5.9 @ 200mm. :( If the lens were f/4 or f/4.5 at the long end, I'd be a lot more interested in the camera.

I don't know how the LF1 rates today, but when it was introduced a few months ago there was no other like it. Even ignoring the built-in simple viewfinder, the combination of tiny body size, lens reach, sensor size etc. was pretty much the head of its class. It might be that the Canon S120 would be better, especially if the 120 had the Digic 6 processor, as I've discovered that it's about the best JPEG processor in the small camera business. Well, whatever the case the very small and relatively professional cameras are evolving quickly.

I don't know how the LF1 rates today, but when it was introduced a few months ago there was no other like it. Even ignoring the built-in simple viewfinder, the combination of tiny body size, lens reach, sensor size etc. was pretty much the head of its class. It might be that the Canon S120 would be better, especially if the 120 had the Digic 6 processor, as I've discovered that it's about the best JPEG processor in the small camera business. Well, whatever the case the very small and relatively professional cameras are evolving quickly.

...serious price drop happening £250 in UK Amazon and £280 in John Lewis. Compares with £375 starting price. How low will they go...

LF1 jpeg pics from my recent India trip. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alyrpal/sets/72157638084200365/

Al

...serious price drop happening £250 in UK Amazon and £280 in John Lewis. Compares with £375 starting price. How low will they go... LF1 jpeg pics from my recent India trip. India 2013 Al

When I first got the LF1 I was shocked at the $500 price in spite of the VF or other features. I developed a respect for it after a while, for putting so much into such a small package. But I think most users who are willing to pay $500 USD for a tiny digicam expect a really superior outer case and finish, and neither the LF1 nor the Leica 'C' have that. So I'm betting that's the big factor in the price drop. I hear that Leicas really maintain their price after purchase, but I wouldn't advise people to invest in Leica 'C's other than one to shoot a few photos with. Still, these little beasties do well for their size...

Back