Micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix GM1 Anybody?

retow

All-Pro
It`s quiet around the Lumix GM1on this forum although this tiny cam gets rave reviews. Isn't the GM1 what mft should be all about? Using the sensor footprint and resulting smaller lens sizes to its advantage rather than developing bloated DSLR gestalt type of cameras (EM1 which are bigger and bulkier than mirrorless aps-c cameras with superior IQ (Fuji X-E2). How about a combo of a Ricoh GRD and Lumix GM1 with the 45mm Olympus?

Panasonic Lumix GM1 Full Review

Maybe this is why:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dmc_gm1ks_lumix_dmc_gm1_mirrorless_micro.html
Expected availability: Mid December 2013

sans_t10.jpg

GM1 is cute. But when a camera gets that small, it impedes upon the usability. I'd definitely need to add a grip to it. Usability was the primary reason I didn't keep the RX100.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

It's a nice idea and looks good and it's quite an achievement squeezing all that into a tiny body. But I can't see it as anyone's one and only camera and it's $750.

This is the CSC problem - too many are far to expensive relative to the DSLR's they are trying to compete against and whose market share they need to eat into if they are to succeed. Of course if your DSLR competition is selling ten times as many cameras it's going to have an impact on pricing, but CSC makers are going to have to take a hit in order to compete on price against the established brands.

Right now, high end compacts, low-mid range DSLRs and low-mid range CSC's are all competing in the same price bracket. It's a tough place to be.

That said CSC's are doing better in the Asian market, which is already the biggest and fastest growing market, and where smaller is more appreciated. So perhaps Panasonic's real target with the camera is that market rather than those of us in the US and European markets with our penchant for big, clunky, safe cameras.

It`s quiet around the Lumix GM1on this forum although this tiny cam gets rave reviews. Isn't the GM1 what mft should be all about? Using the sensor footprint and resulting smaller lens sizes to its advantage rather than developing bloated DSLR gestalt type of cameras (EM1 which are bigger and bulkier than mirrorless aps-c cameras with superior IQ (Fuji X-E2). How about a combo of a Ricoh GRD and Lumix GM1 with the 45mm Olympus?

Panasonic Lumix GM1 Full Review

We've already seen most of the GM1's goodness in the current Oly PEN line.

Cameras like the Oly EM1 have ergonomic and functional advantages over tiny cameras. No need to disparage the EM1 and similar just because they are not your cup of tea.

GM1 is a nice step in the right direction, but to me a camera without a viewfinder is no camera at all. I'd like a GM1 type camera, but with a 2" LCD instead of 3", and an EVF. Only then would I consider buying it.

I think that it undersells the entire system to say that the GM1 is what a Micro 4/3 camera should be. I do however think that the GM1 is an interesting addition to the line-up but I know that it is way too small for me (E-P5 is my lower camera body size limit) and I'm curious to know whether Panasonic has substantially improved the sensor readout speed when using the electronic shutter, given that it is the only option at speeds faster than a modest 1/500sec. The current e-shutter on Panasonic cameras causes distortion of moving objects because of the slow readout speed.

Yes, E-M5 is 1/4000 like all the other prev generation mirrorless cameras.

GM1 is included in dpreview camera of the year list...
DPReview Gear of the Year - Part 2: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1

Here is gm1 w/ bigger lenses (from m43 rumors):
gm1simulation_zpse07f555e.jpg

Have fun with the GM1 camera-lens Match Simulator! It's also one of the cameras of the year for Dpreview. - 43 Rumors

Hmmm, I don't want to sound like a prick, but that is really slow. Didn't expect the much hyped E-M5 to have such a glaring weakness.

Hmmm, I don't want to sound like a prick, but that is really slow. Didn't expect the much hyped E-M5 to have such a glaring weakness.

If you find yourself shooting wide open with a fast lens in the bright Southern California sun, combined with the lowest ISO of "200" it can make bright scenes difficult to photograph without stopping down the aperture.

Despite these pitfalls, it is a great camera to compose and create with. But the GX7 seems to have more and that nearly silent a much faster e shutter. The E-M5 is not as loud as something like the Canon 7D shutter, but sounds like a shotgun in comparison with the GX7.

It's a glaring weakness that virtually all mirrorless bodies have then.... Sony NEX, Fuji X, Panasonic, etc. etc.

I think Sammy has a couple recent bodies with 1/6000 and then you have the new Panasonic GX-7, Oly E-P5/E-M1 and Sony A7/A7r with 1/8000. This is new stuff pushing beyond 1/4000 for mirrorless/CSC.

If you find yourself shooting wide open with a fast lens in the bright Southern California sun, combined with the lowest ISO of "200" it can make bright scenes difficult to photograph without stopping down the aperture.
ISO200 as minimum sensitivity and only 1/4000 makes the use of a ND filter unavoidable, when shooting wide open in the sun. That is unfortunate.

Despite these pitfalls, it is a great camera to compose and create with. But the GX7 seems to have more and that nearly silent a much faster e shutter. The E-M5 is not as loud as something like the Canon 7D shutter, but sounds like a shotgun in comparison with the GX7.
I have no doubt about that.
Regarding the form factor, GF7 appeals to me more. I don't like the EVF hump on the M5. How usable is Pany's eShutter? I've read some reports about it being borderline unusable for almost any kind of movement. Is that true for the GX7 as well?

It's a glaring weakness that virtually all mirrorless bodies have then.... Sony NEX, Fuji X, Panasonic, etc. etc.

I think Sammy has a couple recent bodies with 1/6000 and then you have the new Panasonic GX-7, Oly E-P5/E-M1 and Sony A7/A7r with 1/8000. This is new stuff pushing beyond 1/4000 for mirrorless/CSC.
I don't want to be the guy pushing his own gear and praising it to the heavens, but all Nikon 1 cameras offer 1/16000 (three zeros - not a typo) as shortest shutter speed. Folks who own the 32mm f/1.2 shoot it wide open in the sun. Of course, N1 cameras have some weaknesses which mFT do not.

Max shutter speed is 1/8000, same as mech. ISO is limited to upper ISO 3200... GM1 has even higher 1/16,000 e-shutter. However the read speed is the issue with the e-shutter, whether it is Sony sensor (GH3) or Panasonic sensor (gx7/gm1).

Keep in mind that the GX7's electronic shutter is limited to 1/3200 or something like that.

Back