Micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix GM1 Anybody?

I don't want to be the guy pushing his own gear and praising it to the heavens, but all Nikon 1 cameras offer 1/16000 (three zeros - not a typo) as shortest shutter speed. Folks who own the 32mm f/1.2 shoot it wide open in the sun. Of course, N1 cameras have some weaknesses which mFT do not.

With m43, you can use a smaller aperture to get similar DoF to the Nikon 1, so that partially negates the faster shutter speed of the Nikon 1 for comparative purposes.

That doesn't make 1/16000s unimpressive, though.

I don't want to be the guy pushing his own gear and praising it to the heavens, but all Nikon 1 cameras offer 1/16000 (three zeros - not a typo) as shortest shutter speed. Folks who own the 32mm f/1.2 shoot it wide open in the sun. Of course, N1 cameras have some weaknesses which mFT do not.

Ah, thanks, forgot that the Nikon 1 was at 1/6000 as well.

With m43, you can use a smaller aperture to get similar DoF to the Nikon 1, so that partially negates the faster shutter speed of the Nikon 1 for comparative purposes.

That doesn't make 1/16000s unimpressive, though.
You are right.

I suggest we go back to topic, because I know full well how annoying it is when owners of other brands start poking in threads that have nothing to do with their gear. I just wanted to say that 1/8000 is not "pushing tech" in the realm of MILC/CSC, nothing more. I think we all know what respective disadvantages and advantages of mFT/NEX/N1/etc are.

As I've said, GM1 is an interesting camera, but because of lack of EVF not a camera for me. If Pany were to release a similar sized "GX7" (smaller LCD but with EVF) I would probably add it to my "tool case". I'm particularly interested in the 45/1.8. Sadly there is no mFT camera which is similar to my Nikon V1. The closest thing would be a smaller and cheaper GX7. I don't think I could resist the urge to buy such a camera. :)
Ah, thanks, forgot that the Nikon 1 was at 1/6000 as well.
1/16000 with eShutter.

I still think the GM1 would be perfect for my wife (and my part-time use). She wants a compact with a zoom, but likes the IQ we get from m4/3 or APS-C. The only thing I am waiting to find out is whether you can set a minimum shutter speed for auto-ISO. I know it may be a long shot, but I am hoping Panasonic has come around on this.

1/16000 with eShutter.

So, it really wash't a typo! :D I thought we were talking mechanical shutter (where 1/8000s is really fast/new for mirrorless), but as you said, I should stick to talking about the GM1!

The camera with kit lens is listed for about $800. And they try to sell the kit zoom lens alone for $499 in my country (Switzerland). So I guess I`ll buy the kit and try to sell the zoom for $400. The GM1 with the silent shutter and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 will make for a jacket pocketable unobtrusive and thus unique social event snap shot/candids and street/travel camera, a perfect companion to the Ricoh GR or Sony RX1.

I think that it undersells the entire system to say that the GM1 is what a Micro 4/3 camera should be. I do however think that the GM1 is an interesting addition to the line-up but I know that it is way too small for me (E-P5 is my lower camera body size limit) and I'm curious to know whether Panasonic has substantially improved the sensor readout speed when using the electronic shutter, given that it is the only option at speeds faster than a modest 1/500sec. The current e-shutter on Panasonic cameras causes distortion of moving objects because of the slow readout speed.

Completely agree. To me - and I have no desire to even look at, much less buy, the G-M1 - the great significance is that we have a system that stretches from the G-M1 to the GH3 and EM-1. Combine that with the range of lenses available and...it's totally compelling! :D

I enjoy using my E-PL5 with my pancake lenses or c-mount but as soon as I put something bigger on I find it irritating to use - too small and the buttons are too close together and it's just so easy to accidentaly alter a setting. I can imagine that problem is magified with the GM1. So it's something to consider if you want a GM1 as your only camera. A good handbag camera for the ladies that need some flexibility in the lens dept. personally I'm thinking a fixed lens aps-c like the Ricoh GR is about as good as it gets if you want small.

I've had one on order from Panasonic direct, and they said they were shipping by 20 Nov. (it's now 22 Nov.)

I saw that they are selling it in ebay from HK... I guess US is getting later as usual. It is the new trend w/ mirrorless cameras...

Thankfully, Sammy's stock is only the silver and black one! I want the all black one! And they don't seem to have the grip, which is a must for me!

I hope Panasonic is not pulling another stupid marketing stunt by limiting US customers to only the silver and black color (like they did with the GX7).

I wish we can get at least commission, but I guess Sammy is not in site's affiliate list... I saw it in m43 rumors comments...

I was going to ask you black or black&silver, but I guess Panasonic doesn't release any blacks in US for your sake:)

I wish we can get at least commission, but I guess Sammy is not in site's affiliate list... I saw it in m43 rumors comments...

I was going to ask you black or black&silver, but I guess Panasonic doesn't release any blacks in US for your sake:)

I saw that HK dealers in EBay do have all black GM1's. Do you know if HK cameras are like the Japanese ones where the menu is set to have only the native language (Chinese in this case)?

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I haven't seen any post about it or checked it. You can ask them from the eBay listing if they don't mention it. Sony A7(R) from HK are in English... Most probably GM1 might be in English too esp with their British heritage...

I saw that HK dealers in EBay do have all black GM1's. Do you know if HK cameras are like the Japanese ones where the menu is set to have only the native language (Chinese in this case)?

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back