Leica Panasonic LUMIX LC1: My first attempts

Raid

All-Pro
I received yesterday my LC1, and I started this morning inspecting the camera and the settings. I kept most settings as they are, and I changed ISO to 100. I get RAW and JPG together, which is OK. There is a 1GB card in place, which may be sufficient since the image files are not very large. I took 5 photos quickly, out of which 3 came out sharp enough. I did not try to enhance the images with PS.

I may use the camera this weekend. I am being lazy, and I am using AF. This could be a good "retirement camera". It slows you down. The metal camera body looks and feels cool. The Vario Summicron seems to be an awesome lens. It is 28-90/2.0-2.4 in 35 equivalent terms. If it gets stolen, no big deal. It has a built-in flash. I never use flash.

Pana-5-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pana-3-XL.jpg

Pana-XL.jpg

I made some errors by using ISO 100 in the shade, and by not realizing that the camera was showing a warning symbol for blurring. I will learn how to use this camera better.

I am stubborn, so I kept ISO 100 and I switched the lens to 2.0 to see if I can reduce motion blur. Maybe not!
1/5 sec is not fast.

P1020185-XL.jpg

P1020186-XL.jpg

P1020187-X2.jpg

I took additional photos today with the LC1.
P1020204x-X2.jpg

P1020208x-XL.jpg

P1020203x-XL.jpg

P1020220x-XL.jpg

P1020215-XL.jpg

There is a spot on the far right side and just "above sea level" that looks like a dirty sensor. How can I clean it? It is at the back of the lens. It could be some dirt on the front filter. I cleaned it a few minutes ago.

P1020216-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The spot is still there and it seems to be a dust spot that made it somehow to the sensor. It cannot be cleaned.

P1020224spot.jpg

This is at aperture 11.

The spot is not so pronounced at aperture 4.0.

P1020226f4-M.jpg

It's almost certainly on your sensor Raid. I'd try blowing it off with one of those squeezy bulb thingies first. If that doesn't work I'd look closely at the sensor under bright light to see if you can detect the spot. Since your spot is top right in the photo, on the sensor it should be bottom left if I am recalling correctly. Then take a clean Q tip and just touch it as lightly as possible to see if you can dislodge it. Don't scrub or push hard. If it's dust that should take care of it. If it's oil you might have to go to stage two and try chemical cleaning.

Good luck!

BTW, nice photos. I can almost never hold things still enough at 1/5 to avoid camera shake, unless there is image stabilization.

Thank you Brian.
The sensor is attached to the back of the lens, without giving me any access to the sensor. I am unable to use a blower here. Someone commented that the dust spot may move by itself one day.

I switched to B&W jpg with multiple burst. I set ISO to 400 too.

P1020256-XL.jpg

This image looks much sharper on my monitor when I view it in LR. Now it looks soft to me here.

LUMIX.jpg

Same image. I copied it to a WORD file first, followed by saving it as jpg. It looks sharper. Why?

This is one of Rasha's photos that I have copied first into a WORD file.

Rasha%20Lumix.jpg

Other than getting larger images, why do these images look sharper on my screen when I first save them on a WORD file?

I switched to B&W jpg with multiple burst. I set ISO to 400 too.

This image looks much sharper on my monitor when I view it in LR. Now it looks soft to me here.

Same image. I copied it to a WORD file first, followed by saving it as jpg. It looks sharper. Why?

STRANGE! Are you sure it is the same image, and not a different one from the burst?

If not- the demosaic is Wrong!

When I shoot in RAW, i see three giles for each image without the three inages burst. I may be picking up the i appropriate files.

We drove along our beaches yesterday.

P1020205sx-X2.jpg

P1020205sxq-X2.jpg

P1020272qwe-X3.jpg

P102029612ff-X2.jpg

P1020278asfd-X3.jpg

I am getting used to this camera. here, I used F 4.0 to avoid the dust smear, and the images are sharp. The colors are more saturated than what I get with the M9 or M8.

P1020268qwe-X3.jpg

P1020288qwe-X3.jpg

P1020299aqw-X3.jpg

I used the LC1 yesterday to try out ISO 400 and also some ISO 100 again. The AF works very well, which helps a lot in dim light. I did not do any adjustments to the jpg (converted) files.

P1020301X-X2.jpg

P1020300X-X2.jpg

P1020305X-X2.jpg

Back