Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX / Leica D-LUX Image Thread

Christina, I have to confess I am a convert to DNG.;) Shot in RAW2, as Panasonic calls it in this camera, converted to DNG in LR2, added clarity, used Color Efex Pro and - truth be told - a downloaded preset thanks to summerki AKA Kevin that is called "M8 Standard", added in a touch more clarity and a tad of saturation, plus a dash of sharpening and there you go. Honestly, today was the first time I tried out the "M8 preset". I took the photo as described with a -2.66 EV so that this time the light parts weren't washed out. I don't think I posted my version from the other day but it's still hanging out on Flickr. Honestly I probably could have made it just as it is or close to it in LR, but I enjoy the Color Efex - for those who know it I used Brilliant/Warm or whatever it's called.

Again, remember I am a mere neophyte with all this stuff and flying by the seat of my pants. I am, however, glad you liked it and thanks for your comment on Flickr, too.

warning ''graphic''

Let us revive thus thread with some LX-5 images and a video.
P1040170.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1040180.jpg

P1040183bw.jpg

Video of police officer. View at your own risk.

Being on Hollywood Blvd, I was kind of hoping and assuming it was what it turned out it was (viewed the first bit of the video). Pretty nasty scene otherwise! Cool shots of shots!

-Ray

Ray, you picked up on "reality" faster than I did, that's for sure!

Javier, those stills really shocked me... I have to say that initially I did not pick up on the fact that in that first one, the bystander shielding the policeman's face seems much less involved than he would have been if this had been real. Then I watched the video and it took me a few seconds to realize that "Hollywood" was at work. I have to say that you did a great job filming that scene. Both stills make a strong impact, too - the black and white, even more so for me.

It may have been better to list these as what they were in your first post, even though you may have wanted our reactions.

Yes Javier, I'll have you know I was just eating my lunch :D Very detailed shots but I must say that the giveaway was the man shielding the "victim's" face from the sun as it struck me that this was the least of his problems!! Nonetheless, quite graphic as you rightly stated.

I think I may have finally found the limits of what the LX-5 doesn't do well. Yesterday, while in Philly, I took some shots in my favorite indoor venue for shooting people shots - Reading Terminal Market and Market East rail station. I got some that came out OK but a LOT of misses. And even the good ones don't compare to the really sharp shots from the same location that I generally get from my ep2 with the Pany 20mm lens. Here are a few, for illustrative purposes. Just not quite as sharp, a bit of noise, etc. Just needs a bit more light to really do its thing well. Not bad, will do in a pinch, etc. But I think I'd take the ep2 and 20 if this kind of shooting was on the agenda. For outdoor street shooting, I actually prefer the LX5 to the ep2, but for indoor, I don't think it can compete with the faster lens and larger sensor...

-Ray

View attachment 30710

View attachment 33548

View attachment 30711

Apologies for this last one. I think these shots are sort of cliche and comes off as sort of cruel, although that's not the intent (fantasy vs reality, etc, but it just feels kind of mean now that I look at it)

View attachment 30712

And quite a lot of them came out looking more like this or worse - just not quite in focus or sharp enough to use (included ONLY to illustrate the point)

View attachment 30713

Love this one, Michael - a great view of the city's monoliths on a blue sky day! Wonderful play of light and shadow, textures, reflections and more. When I clicked on this to see what the latest post was, I let out a quiet "wow", as I exhaled. Many thanks.

P.S. Mal, last night when I saw your photo of the gardening gloves I was too tired to write. But still today your picture makes me smile - great color, love the square crop, too. Great graphic shot!

Two photographs in very low light, one with the flash

5179448422_b380cbba9d_b.jpg

LX5 f/5 @ 1/4 of a second ISO 1250

I'm pretty impressed for hand held in a dark restaurant - yes it's blurry in the foreground but I'm glad I took it.

Here is another from the same night but with the flash with a tiny crop in from the left:

5178844495_9a5dc2cd95_b.jpg

LX5 f/5 @ 1/60th ISO 1250

Thought those who own the camera or are considering it might find these interesting.

Javier - I always enjoy your work, but there's something about the second shot in this most recent series that I really like a lot. Something about seeing just enough of the woman's face to catch her expression/attitude, having her body and posture reflect that attitude perfectly, and then the environs and the clothes and the cross on her neck all work quite well together to create a very strong mood/impression.

Michael - that shot is just brilliantly seen, executed, processed, etc. Really beautiful simplicity. I can't imagine myself ever seeing that shot, and those are the kind that impress me the most. Just a gorgeous image.

-Ray

@BB I really Like the restaurant shots. The first one has terrific atmosphere and I like the depth behind. I used my flash for the first time last night and I was pleased with the way it lit the subject without washing it out. Your picture shows the same thing and is lovely. Is that your daughter?

@Michael: I really like this. The great expanse of sky with a solitary bird above a lone tree creates a feeling of urban isolation. The sepia processing is perfect for it.

Things are really heating up in here again!

Javier, I can see what Ray means regarding that one of the young woman sans head...and I, too, like the angle along with the fire escape. The one of the older man, with his plastic bag, walking past the frilly dress shop is very poignant. I don't know how you PP these or perhaps it is all in camera settings for your jpegs but this one in particular stands out to my eyes as working so well with this scene's subject matter. Very strong "juxtapositioning" going on. Yes, I have just made up a word!;)

Michael, you are making me feel very cold, damp and wintery with these two monochromes, however I'll forgive you because their moodiness works so well and since we're practically neighbors, I know that we have had a couple of beautiful, blue sky blustery days of late - thank goodness! Your lone tree is eloquent in its simplicity. Also like the wild double yellow line night drive shot, too!

@BB I really Like the restaurant shots. The first one has terrific atmosphere and I like the depth behind. I used my flash for the first time last night and I was pleased with the way it lit the subject without washing it out. Your picture shows the same thing and is lovely. Is that your daughter?
The flash is pretty neat. I want to try using it more. I tried a night shot outside and it is on my Flickr stream..kind of interesting to see what a blast in the dark can reveal. Yes, the young lady is my daughter. We were celebrating her 21 years young birthday. Thanks for your comments, Kathy - very much appreciated!

Back