Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX / Leica D-LUX Image Thread

I just love the smokiness or mistiness in those photographs first three, Traam. I also really, really like the contrast and light in the color ones. I can't remember what PP software you use - is it Lightroom? They both have a strong sense of place and seem as though they could be stills from a film.

This little camera sure can cover a lot of ground, can't it?

nah I used iPhoto. I just recently bought CS5 Production Premium which happened to come with Photoshop but I haven't learnt how to use it yet, it still looks intimidating.

I love the LX5, I'm amazed at the quality of the images that come out of it. I'm really glad I got it, prior to the LX5 I was hardly taking any photos with the 7D but there were several occasions when I wish I had a light and small carry-around camera to practice a bit of photography.

These are probably the last images I show from my LX5.
The LX5 lens is simply incapable of resolving the fine detail of foliage.
In this shot the conifers in the mid ground are just a mush while buildings beyond are quite sharp. (RAW or Jpeg files have the same effect all exotic camera settings to minimum or off )

P1020156.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking back at the DPReview and others the problem should have been apparent earlier from their tests. These are from the LX3 and the LX5 where you can see how much better the LX3 is at resolving fine detail
lx5lens.jpg

lx3lens.jpg

When used on more angular subjects the difference seems far less but as a walking companion my old DLux4 is more effective at covering landscapes.

P1020171.jpg

For months I've been fiddling with settings and RAW converters and listening to others extol the virtues of this camera while the evidence of the lens deficiencies was clearly there at DPReview and Imaging Resource. I so wanted this to be the perfect pocket camera. I hardly think that the DLux5 will be different.

Thank you, nippa.

I'm going to have to look back at my own pictures but don't think I have too many landscapes with really sweeping vistas like that as I'm thinking back. I'm sorry that the camera has been such a disappointment to you. Perhaps you can sell it?

This afternoon I went into Jacobs in Manchester prepared to buy a DLux5.
I was only offered £120/$190 for the LX5 but more to the point the optical quality of the DLux5 was identical.
The Leica version produces more agreeable colours but that was all.

I still love my DLux4 though:)

I really appreciate your update, nippa. Selfishly, I'm glad to know it's only about the colors because I feel pretty comfortable dealing with colors via my LX5.

I am expecially glad you still love your DLux4! Please do us the honor of sharing some of your DLux4 photographs with us (or any others) when you can.:flowers_2:

These are probably the last images I show from my LX5.
The LX5 lens is simply incapable of resolving the fine detail of foliage.
In this shot the conifers in the mid ground are just a mush while buildings beyond are quite sharp. (RAW or Jpeg files have the same effect all exotic camera settings to minimum or off )

Looking back at the DPReview and others the problem should have been apparent earlier from their tests. These are from the LX3 and the LX5 where you can see how much better the LX3 is at resolving fine detail

When used on more angular subjects the difference seems far less but as a walking companion my old DLux4 is more effective at covering landscapes.

For months I've been fiddling with settings and RAW converters and listening to others extol the virtues of this camera while the evidence of the lens deficiencies was clearly there at DPReview and Imaging Resource. I so wanted this to be the perfect pocket camera. I hardly think that the DLux5 will be different.

personally, i am wondering if you don't have a defective lx-5? to say the lx-3 makes better pictures with the same lens does not sound right to me. i have been looking at the very few landscape images i have and i am more than happy with the detail the lx-5 produces.

lx-5meetsbotanicagardenssantabarbara1.jpg

lx-5meetsbotanicagardenssantabarbara2.jpg

winterhillx5-2.jpg

Thanks Javier , they are nice shots but as you can see not everything I take with the LX5 (BTW this is my second copy ) is mushy. This was taken on the same walk as my previous post with the same settings and just a bit of PP.
I can't help feeling that the problem is more than optical resolution and that the so-called RAW file seems processed.

If I keep the LX5 I shall avoid hair ,feathers ,brickwork and distant conifers as subject matter:)

I can't help feeling that the problem is more than optical resolution and that the so-called RAW file seems processed.[/QUOTE]

I can't see any EXIF info, what are the settings on shot you don't like?
Can you upload the RAW .RW2 ?

Try shooting at f4 in aperture priority mode.

Do a test and shoot a grey card or macbeth chart and set white balance in your software from the chart, incorrect white balance really compromises the RAW to RGB conversion process.

Despite using the NEX almost exclusively recently I still have time for my LX3. These were taken last night as I was walking up to a cafe to meet some friends. I brought the LX3 becuse it was a wet evening and it's a lot easier to cover the Panny with your hand and still have it available for shooting. I did discover that I had forgotten how some of the controls work. These were taken on Barnov Street in Tbilisi.

5475870432_eb13292521_o.jpg

110224-1020404 by ...olli..., on Flickr

LX3 ISO400 f2.8 1/25 12.8mm

5475271617_d488b4044c_o.jpg

110224-1020400 by ...olli..., on Flickr

LX3 ISO320 f2.8 1/80 10.2mm

5475869116_11ce324697_o.jpg

110224-1020390 by ...olli..., on Flickr

LX3 ISO80 f2.3 1/60 7.4mm

5475270433_175331cec1_o.jpg

110224-1020386 by ...olli..., on Flickr

LX3 ISO80 f2 1/100 5.1mm

LX5, circular polarizer + Tiffen Red 29 filter (loving that filter, BTW), taken in mid-day light so bright I couldn't see what I was shooting, even through the EVF, and had to cup both hands around my face/forehead and manipulate the controls w/my right pinky.

P1000479.jpg

P1000486.jpg

P1000482.jpg

LX5, circular polarizer + Tiffen Red 29 filter (loving that filter, BTW), taken in mid-day light so bright I couldn't see what I was shooting, even through the EVF, and had to cup both hands around my face/forehead and manipulate the controls w/my right pinky.

Love the photos, where was all this? Love the location.

Snow! This is another one of those photos where I'm not sure whether it's a black & white desaturated shot like that other window photo you took. Nice contrasty grain too.

Hey, James - it's definitely color. Snow does all sorts of crazy things to the world.;) But yes, I did enhance the picture to increase the contrast and a few other things to bring out what I saw.

Back