Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX / Leica D-LUX Image Thread

Hi José

Yes, I did get in with a UK passport. Getting a visa was tiresome (get there at 8 a.m., wait all day, then come back in a week to collect) but there was no suspicion - however, I did have an invitation from the University of Tehran which might have helped.

When you are there, the big cities are very relaxed. I almost always had a local with me but the one time I was on my own on the Tehran metro, I found myself sharing a joke with someone and his girlfriend even though we did not speak each other's languages.

Taking photos was also easy. I didn't take an SLR because I am obviously western in appearance (red hair and pale skin!) and did not want to look like a journalist. But lots of locals use DSLRs - especially women - and I was never challenged taking photos on the street or in the bazaars. However, I am told it is very different in the small towns. My overall impression on this first visit was of a beautiful and deeply civilised nation with a chequered history of good and bad rulers and a frankness about the current situation.

More images here: Zenfolio | Tom Stoneham | Iran 2010

Best,

Tom

Where I went today:

p96128603-4.jpg

Wow - impressive detail - especially the first one which needs subtle tones to work.

What setting did you have the in-camera noise reduction at? On my LX-3, I always have it at -2 to keep maximum detail and avoid a watercolour effect.

Could we see a full-size image to peep those pixels?

Tom

Tomstoneham
I'll upload full size image in Am so you all can pixel peep to your hearts content. No adjustment made in camera for noise reduction. Just got the camera and am now seeing how it performs..will adjust later as needed. Thanks for your comments.

Yup, as soon as I saw those two - especially that first one - I felt the same way. Really like them and would really, really like to see them larger, if that is possible? Karen are they on your Flickr stream? If so, it would be great if you could embed them here so we could go take a look at them in their full glory. Love the subtle colors and the mist rising.

LX5 Shots in Macro Mode

Tried top put up 2 pics but for whatever reason in insert image..putting in the Flickr code shows only space holder for pic and not pictures themselves.

Hit link below to see what this camera does in Macro mode...I'm pleased!

Karen, if you want your pictures linked to the photo page:

First, wrap IMG tags around the direct link, as usual. Then highlight the code and click on the insert link icon.

4969044769_c1452a4b76_z_d.jpg

Paste the link to your photo page into the box. The code should then look like this:

4969044815_777b06e7fc_z_d.jpg

I hope that helps! :)

The Great Outdoors with the new Panasonic LX5

Just got back from a week up in the Eastern Sierra Mountains hoping to catch a little Fall color, but we were a tad early as summer seems to be lingering on even at elevations above 10,000 feet. I brought my new LX5 as a point and shoot, leaving it on Intelligent Auto and using some of the scenes modes available and I took along my GF1 with hopes of using the Olympus 9-18mm lens. Here's some pics from the trip..LX5 in IA mode.
4992183887_b90f310bbd_b.jpg

Lembert Dome Yosemite
4992184655_8346635e07_z.jpg

Our Campground early evening Twin Lakes
4992051845_b990133bdb_z.jpg

T
4992672468_132d9283ae_z.jpg
win Lakes at Sunset
Matt checking messages ISO 1600
4992660378_1ec94f8921.jpg

And last but not least..Hannah, Me and Matt ready to begin the Little Lakes hike
4992673834_3db02eec8f.jpg

Back