Micro 4/3 Showcase Panasonic LX100 I/II picture thread

View attachment 24373

View attachment 24374

The dawn patrol -- this is one of the times when the LX100 really shines for me.

Note: I was experimenting with shooting the sky at f/16 to see if that did anything beneficial. All it seemed to do was force the ISO higher and introduce more noise.

Cheer, Jock
In the first, the noise seems a little imposing, but I think the texture in the second is compelling - like a good watercolor.

I only decided on the LX100 a few weeks ago. For the last few years i had been using a
Samsung EX1 + a pair of Sigma's ( DP1 and DP2 ). The Samsung really was an exceptional camera in many ways.
The Sigma's were capable of exceptional images ------ when they were in the mood and conditions were near perfect.
I decided to dump the lot, and with the proceeds buy a nearly new LX100.
The camera is one and a half sizes bigger than any of my old camera's and feels just as
heavy as my old Contax 137 with a 50mm Zeiss. The instruction book is less
than helpful. So, dump the instruction book and scribble a few notes as I go along.
I haven't had too many chances to use it but here are some early thoughts.
Last week I spotted a couple of foxes in the garden early on a sunny day. I was upstairs and grabbed the camera. Foxes are very shy creatures, so I shot from the bedroom window.
The zoom telephoto just about reached them for this shot. They were about 60 yds. away.

View attachment 113111

They then wandered a further 20 yards ( 80 yards from the camera ) to enjoy the early morning sun. I switched to the IA setting and used digital telephoto in an attempt to capture them. The large sensor and a lot of cropping just managed to squeeze a barely acceptable couple of images. Image stabilization is not this camera's strongest point. All the following pictures are hand held.

View attachment 113112

View attachment 113113

I left the camera on Intelligent Auto setting and shoot this vintage watch. I think it coped quite well with the limited light available.

P1070376_zpsm7lq8wwt.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then into the garden with the lens wide open shooting Aperture Priority mode.
The impressive eye level viewfinder has taken me back a quarter of a century and I absolutely love it. Just like the good old days , changing the aperture manually whilst viewing all the picture info in the finder. Blinding sun ? - What blinding sun ? Viewing this way also steadies the camera significantly.

View attachment 113115

P1070132_zpsydy2rpxx.jpg

P1070154_zpsfabcd644.jpg

View attachment 113118

P1070176_zps9cgzl9k1.jpg

View attachment 113120

It's still August, but my garden thinks it's Autumn already.

View attachment 113121

So far so good with the LX100. It's well made, has a fast Leica lens, handles well, is silky smooth and does exactly what it says on the tin , but it really is not by any means a compact camera.
But who cares ?
It's very forgiving and has bags of potential. I like it.

Richard

My favorite compact was and is the LX7, which is arguably a direct ancestor of the LX100. I've been tempted to upgrade for the 4K video, but the lack of a neutral density filter on the LX100 has held me back a bit. The LX7 has one, and I do use it on occasion. Wonder why it wasn't included in the newer model?

Those are very, very nice! You have a regular "backyard safari" going there . . . who says you have to spend thousands and go someplace exotic to get very nice photos?!?

Here are a series of links about setting up that LX100 that you might find more useful than the manual.

Setting Up the LX100 Part 1 Basic Decisions | Camera Ergonomics

Setting up the LX100 Part 2 Q Menu and Buttons | Camera Ergonomics

Setting Up the LX100 Part 3 Setup and Rec Menus | Camera Ergonomics

Setting Up the LX100 Part 4 Custom Menu | Camera Ergonomics

Cheers, Jock

"...it is not by any means a compact camera"

It's not a pocket camera, but it's much more compact than my compact Leica Q.

In the photo books I purchased in 1980 (Professional and Basic Photography) by Michael Langford, 35mm cameras were described as "miniature" cameras. Times have changed, but small non-interchangeable-lens cameras are certainly compact, although consumers who aren't "into" photography will nearly always choose a pocket camera. The LX100 is aimed at serious users who want a compact camera that's not a system camera.

Those are very, very nice! You have a regular "backyard safari" going there . . . who says you have to spend thousands and go someplace exotic to get very nice photos?!?

Here are a series of links about setting up that LX100 that you might find more useful than the manual.

Setting Up the LX100 Part 1 Basic Decisions | Camera Ergonomics

Setting up the LX100 Part 2 Q Menu and Buttons | Camera Ergonomics

Setting Up the LX100 Part 3 Setup and Rec Menus | Camera Ergonomics

Setting Up the LX100 Part 4 Custom Menu | Camera Ergonomics

Cheers, Jock

Thanks for the kind words Jock. And thanks for the very informative links. So much more user friendly than the Lumix instruction manual.
Richard

Spent yesterday at the Beaulieu Autojumble with the LX100. It turned out to be pretty versatile.
Some shots were taken inside the museum. Here the lighting is mostly pretty even, but even with the lens wide open, 1/60th sec. was called for if I called up 200 ISO.
Although the camera does have optical stabilization, it's no match for the dual stabilization of my old Samsung EX1. However, that said, the LX100 can be pushed to 3200 ISO with remarkable results.

View attachment 113499

Pictured from inside the old garage, this hand held shot looks OK to me at 3200 ISO and F 2.7.

View attachment 113500

Here's a few more from inside the museum.

P1070595_zpsypef4guh.jpg

View attachment 113502

View attachment 113503

View attachment 113504

View attachment 113505

All the indoor images were shot with auto white balance and the colours have been rendered correctly.

The weather was a mixture of sun and cloud and the white balance was again left on Auto and coped equally well I thought.

Here'e a few from outside

View attachment 113506

View attachment 113507

View attachment 113508

I can't imagine why this bike's called an Indian but ----

View attachment 113509

View attachment 113510

View attachment 113511

View attachment 113512

There's not much in it, but maybe the Leica lens isn't quite up to the sharpness of my old Sigma DP series. But it's faster, zooms from 24 - 150mm. ( if you include the digital zoom ),
has direct aperture control and still manages to do the job. I'm getting to appreciate this camera.

I can't imagine why this bike's called an Indian but ----

View attachment 113530
Well, because it's an Indian motorcycle, which was Harley before there was Harley or Davidson...

The leather fringe is just because it's a silly little personal styling touch.

Indian Motocycle Manufacturing Company - Wikipedia

I keep being impressed by the images coming out of the LX100. There are a couple missing features that'll keep me from buying one, but I wish it had 'em because I think I'd be really happy with it otherwise...

-Ray

I keep being impressed by the images coming out of the LX100. There are a couple missing features that'll keep me from buying one, but I wish it had 'em because I think I'd be really happy with it otherwise... -Ray

My wife and I were photographing in Northern Ohio and the battery died on her Canon camera, then she discovered that her backup battery was not charged. So I handed her my Leica D-Lux (LX100) and in the next few hours, she was saying over and over again "Wow, this is a *really* nice camera" etc. etc.

One of my recurring themes, but each view brings something new, especially at sunset. Below the bridge is a 1/4 mile long concrete pier. Behind the gate are 3 small open rain shelters spaced evenly down the pier. To the right is a glimpse of the Cooper river, just before it empties into Charleston Harbor. Above the nearest tower and slightly to the left is a planet - probably Venus.

Leica D-Lux, f2.8, 2/3 second tripod, ISO 200, cropped 25 percent.
Charleston_Bridge31_s.jpg

My wife and I were photographing in Northern Ohio and the battery died on her Canon camera, then she discovered that her backup battery was not charged. So I handed her my Leica D-Lux (LX100) and in the next few hours, she was saying over and over again "Wow, this is a *really* nice camera" etc. etc.
What kind of Canon? DSLR?

Orion, early this am.

LX100 Orion exp 004150924.jpg

Cheers, Jock

Back