Panasonic Panasonic LX7 - first leaks

dhazeghi

Regular
Apparently the Daily Telegraph leaked some of the specs of the upcoming Panasonic LX7.

• 10MP 1/2" CMOS sensor (slightly smaller than LX5)
  • Venus VII image processor
  • ISO 12800
  • 1080p60 video
  • 24-90mm f/1.4-2.3 Leica-branded lens
  • 3" LCD
  • September release date

EDIT: more info in a Russian press release.

Should be interesting. I'm doubtful the lens will be f/1.4 through the whole range, but a 24-90mm equivalent range with f/1.4-f/2.0 would be pretty nice.

EDIT: looks like they got the range, and most of the speed, but the sensor is smaller. Oh well.

DH

Any news on the sensor or camera size, the NIkon V1,J1 is a 10MP sensor aswell :) It would be an amazing feat to get a compact f1.4 zoom lens for that sensor size.

The sensor seems to be the big question - everything else looks really good. If its the same size as the old sensor, it's gonna need to be a LOT better to compete. If its a new and larger sensor, this looks like a pretty compelling package to me. But then I really loved the LX5 and wouldn't change anything about it but the sensor, so if they improve that AND the lens without screwing anything else up, sounds like a winner to me. Just make the lens a stop faster - I don't know, but I'll give it a look.

-Ray

Based on the lens specs I expect a 1/1.7" or maybe 2/3" sensor, not a 1" one.

Will be interesting to see though, it looks like Samsung pretty much blew it with the small sensor in their new offering, it's going to be a hard sale compared to the RX100.
I wonder if Panasonic, Olympus, Canon and maybe Ricoh have been caught napping by Sony's new "large" sensor.

Will be interesting to see though, it looks like Samsung pretty much blew it with the small sensor in their new offering, it's going to be a hard sale compared to the RX100.
I wonder if Panasonic, Olympus, Canon and maybe Ricoh have been caught napping by Sony's new "large" sensor.

I've been wondering the same thing... or could it be that Sony, against their usual ways, has decided to keep this sensor to themselves for a while? But then again, it's probably the same basic sensor design as the Nikon 1 series...

I hope Sony's competitors are capable of coming up with true rivals (image quality-wise) of the RX100 quickly, the Samsung EX2F will probably rival it at tele but not at wide angle, and if the LX6's sensor (yes, I still think it'll be called LX6) is indeed a 1/1.7" type, it would seem the same goes for the Panasonic. If they somehow managed to couple such a fast lens to a 1" type sensor, the LX6 would be a beast of a compact camera! Thinking about it, the LX5 is much faster than the similar-to-RX100 sized Canon S100 and predecessors, so if Sony can cram a 1" sensor in a Canon S100-sized body (or marginally larger), who knows what Panasonic can cram into an LX5-sized body... I'm sure such a camera would need loads of software correction though...

I'm also curious to see how Canon respond, since the RX100 seems to have upstaged the G1X by being so much smaller, and seems to be a direct copy of all the S95's features, just doing everything a lot better.

It'll be interesting to see. I think if the LX-6/7/13 has a fast enough lens (say 1.4-2.0 or 2.4), and maybe a 2/3 sensor like on the X10, it could compete really well with the Sony's larger sensor. Particularly if its using a better, if not that much bigger, sensor. Just on a features/familiarity basis I'm more inclined toward an LX-142 or a GRD89 over the RX100 if the IQ is reasonably competitive, particularly in lower light. But it remains to be seen how close any of them to come. When you control the cutting edge sensor technology, you certainly have a good head start...

-Ray

It's approx. 1/1.9 (between 1/1.8 and 1/2). The 24mm end is 4.7mm, which means the sensor is slightly smaller than the one in the LX5 (5.1mm) having a diagonal of 8.5mm.

The lens is f/1.4-2.3, which is somewhat more exciting, since it's actually taking in more light than the Sony RX100 at the long end, despite the RX100's larger sensor.

DH

^ could it also be that the whole lens range has shifted to slightly wider? one of the links provided on mirrorlessrumors says it's still 24-90mm equivalent, but mirrorless rumors itself says the sensor size is unchanged. Cool to see a dial for ND-filter and focussing! Also, could it be that there's both a rotating dial around the lens and a place to mount conversion lenses? There seem to be 2 different knurled rings around the lens...

Back