Panasonic LX7 for $289 - 299 (2/10/13 Update. Price is back. Possibly down to $269)

Always tempted when I see it at this price - still have and like my LX3. But having just bought an NEX-7 it won't be this time either. Maybe the LX9.

What do you mean by that Nic? About something more than just cropping?

You should have the same feature on your LX5. The Panasonic LX3/5/7 and GH1/2 cameras have oversized sensors which means that when changing from 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 aspect ratios the diagonal length of the sensor remains the same. For example, if you choose 16:9 on any other camera it just crops off the top and bottom. On the Panasonic models mentioned you lose pixels at the top and bottom but the width of the image increases so that the sensor still makes use of the same image circle of the lens.

The idea is probably better explained visually. Have a look at the diagram at the bottom of this page.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: Digital Photography Review

The difference is subtle but still useful. I don't think that Panasonic have done a great job of explaining how this feature differs from standard crop-based aspect ratio selection, since it must cost them money to produce a sensor that is bigger than what would normally be required.

So tempting at this price

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

It sure is. I have to think... will I use this camera? Right now, I have my Olympus E-PM2 and it's pretty small and reasonably (jacket) pocketable with a pancake lens on it. But if I want or need zoom along with compactness, the LX7 looks very good indeed. I even have the EVF for it already (same as the GX1 unit). Right now, I'm trying to gather up some cash for the Fuji X20. Is it as compact as the LX7, which right now costs less than half the amount? I'll have to check... and not waste a lot of time doing so.

EDIT:

And here is the answer, the LX7 is noticeably smaller, but not dramatically so.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The idea is probably better explained visually. Have a look at the diagram at the bottom of this page.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: Digital Photography Review

I think the very first site to publish an explanation of the multi-aspect ratio sensor was this one: https://www.photographerslounge.org...e-effective-sensor-area-per-aspect-ratio-149/

A few months later, Bjorn gave DPReview permission to use his diagram in their LX3 review, but it was first published at the aforelinked, smaller site :).

Did it? I never paid much attention to the TZ series. Megazoom and no RAW is two strikes against a camera for me.

It was in Bjorn's article.

Panasonic’s new LX3 doesn’t simply crop away bands of pixels along the edges of its sensor to achieve the various aspect ratios. Rather, the LX3 uses a relatively new technique first introduced in Panasonic’s TZ3. The sensor is larger than the imaging circle of the lens. For each aspect ratio, a slightly smaller central portion is cropped out of the sensor. In each case though, the diagonal equals the diameter of the lens’ imaging circle. Thus each aspect ratio offers the same angle of view: the LX3 features the same 24-60mm (35mm equivalent) zoom range at all 3 aspect ratios. As is evident in the diagram below, although the angle of view and focal length remain the same at each aspect ratio, the horizontal field of view increases as you move from 4:3 to 16:9, taking in more of the scene horizontally.

No big deal now, it just surprised me that it would have that technology.

EDIT: Looks like it did after all!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Review

Very tempting at this price, but I just can't see it taking the place of my X10. It is smaller, but not small enough to make a significant difference for me. I need something the size of the S110 to make size really drive the purchase decision.

I would have thought the X10 was a step above the LX7 due to its larger sensor.

I'd say it is - the X10 sensor is pretty nice and hopefully the X20 will be as good or better at higher resolution. The sensor is the LX7's relative weak point. It makes up for it somewhat with its faster lens and I like its features and control layout / UI even more than the X10, but the X10 is very good in those respects too. If I was trying to use a compact as an ONLY camera, it would probably be the X10 or X20 because they're a bit better in low light (as is the RX100, but I just don't enjoy that camera in use). But I have other cameras and don't ask my compact to do a lot of heavy lifting, so for my uses the LX7 sensor is more than adequate and everything else about the camera fits me like a glove.

-Ray

I know this is an old thread, but 2 months ago, the LX7 was down as low as $269? I'm getting ready to buy one maybe next month, and it's back up to $450. If you fight tooth and nail on eBay, you can get one $350 or a little lower. For the love of all things holy, why did it go back up so high?

Should I wait to see if it drops again? I'm pretty poor, and the money saved would go a looong way toward a fast card and a nice case. But I don't want another summer to be wasted with my craptacular ZS5... :(

Yes... wait until the price drops below $300 again. There's no doubt that it will do so. It's only a matter of time because it has done so a number of times already. Amazon.com is the most likely place. Good luck.

Kristen, welcome to SC! Not sure where you live, but if you live anywhere close to a Fry's Electronic, you may be able to find a Fuji X10 for $199. Definitely a super bargain for an excellent "serious compact." It's a good alternative to the LX7.

Back