Panasonic Panasonic ZS-100 Latest Images

D

dalethorn

No. 1: A memorial, temporary I think, outside of the Gibbes outdoor exhibit area in Charleston. Something to raise awareness about the homeless.
No. 2: A very small leaf cluster, macro setting.
No. 3: People playing Pokemon at the local park.

Panasonic ZS-100, f.3.5, 1/2000 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown_Memorial01_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f.2.8, 1/200 handheld, ISO 200.
Leaves01_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f.4.5, 1/200 handheld, ISO 800.
Mtpleasant_Park44_s.jpg

Harbor sunset:
image.jpeg

Flowers:
image.jpeg

Another pokemon scene in the park, and some clouds going past the end of the pier. The pier image shutter was 1/5000 due to me not setting the correct aperture, and I think that that shutter speed caused a loss of detail, for a couple of reasons. Early Thursday morning I was at that location on the pier when I heard a loud bang. It was a jumper hitting the water. We get about one per month, but rarely in daylight. They don't survive.

Panasonic ZS-100, f5.9, 1/250 handheld, ISO 200.
image.jpeg

Panasonic ZS-100, f3.9, 1/5000 handheld, ISO 200.
image.jpeg

Dale how would you compare the IQ to say the rx100 series? I'm curious because I was going to pull the trigger on the zs100 but the sample photos on DPreview looked extremely soft. There was even a discussion about whether or not the images needed to be reshot (they never were).

Thanks

Dale how would you compare the IQ to say the rx100 series? I'm curious because I was going to pull the trigger on the zs100 but the sample photos on DPreview looked extremely soft. There was even a discussion about whether or not the images needed to be reshot (they never were).
Thanks

That's the great unknown to me, because shortly after buying the camera, I got an occasional dust speck inside the lens, and finally sent it to Panasonic's repair center. They said "The lens is full of dust", and then they ordered a new lens unit and replaced it under warranty. I know Panasonic, and they don't replace dusty lenses under warranty on a non-dustproof camera.

So when I asked several questions about that, I got no response other than "It's under warranty". So I suspect there were a lot of those, and the images at some of the major review sites didn't realize what was happening. Now my images are JPEG-only with some processing in Paint Shop Pro v6 (version circa 1998), and given the good quality I get now I think you should get great images from the ZS-100, if(!) your lens doesn't have a bunch of manufacturing dust in it.

Dale that's actually very good news. I understand that the lens will be relatively softer at longer FLs but wow it was soft for DPreview. If that one was a faulty lens as well then this is definitely going to beat out the rx100 iv as my choice for a pocketable camera.

Dale that's actually very good news. I understand that the lens will be relatively softer at longer FLs but wow it was soft for DPreview. If that one was a faulty lens as well then this is definitely going to beat out the rx100 iv as my choice for a pocketable camera.

I think most of the softness they see at longer FLs is due to the distance itself and how digital cameras respond to light at different distances. I know that someone will claim that there should be no difference due to distance as long as the intervening air is clear, and that may apply to some of the better interchangeable lenses, but all-in-one digicams are more of a black box I think.

I just did some experiments with the short and long end of the FL, and while my tests aren't definitive, I'd say that the ZS100 lens is not soft on the long end. I'll try to post an example.

Here is the page with the SOOC images (check the EXIF values). Shot side by side at the same time. Just the two images on the top line. The camera defaults for contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, and saturation were all at zero (unchanged). I think the long end of the zoom is as good as anywhere else.
Dale_Panasonic_Zs100_05

Here is the page with the SOOC images (check the EXIF values). Shot side by side at the same time. Just the two images on the top line. The camera defaults for contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, and saturation were all at zero (unchanged). I think the long end of the zoom is as good as anywhere else.
Dale_Panasonic_Zs100_05

I think you're right, the shot at 250mm looks terrific. Now I just have to figure out what to switch out of the camera lineup.

Thank you very much for the comparison shots, that was very helpful.

Back