Micro 4/3 Panasonic's in-camera Monochrome filter/s

Two more photographs taken today with the l monochrome d setting on my (recently acquired) GX9, both with available light.

One taken inside the open door of the refrigerator---

GX9_Feb18_21_hot_sauce_in_cold_fridge.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One taken in the living room, where tiny cut-out photos hang like Christmas decorations from a lamp--

GX9_Feb18_21_hanging_photo_Ira's_head.jpg

Both of these were untouched SOOC's. I have to admit, the range of tones, of light and dark, and the subtle gradations in the shadows, are living up to things I had read about this monochrome setting, before acquiring this camera.

This shot - of a wood products factory in the small Oregon town where I live - was taken with l.monochrome.d on my GX9. It really does a nice job of rendering both detail and contrast.

GX9_Apr8_21_Factory(l.mono.d).jpg

I suspect the lens - Panasonic's underrated but superb fixed f/2.8 zoom, the 12-35mm, deserves some credit too.

That monochrome does render nice.
Yes. It does. It's one of the principal reasons I finally sold one of my long-term favorite mu43 cameras, the Lumix GX8, and got a GX9 - since the GX9 has l.monochrome.d in its firmware. The GX9 is closer in body size and feel to my older GX7, one of my favorite cameras ever, and with the smallish factory grip, its handling improved radically. But having this monochrome setting 'in camera' is a real luxury - and fun, too.

Last edited:
I rarely use Dynamic Monochrome because of the ISO limit, although I like how the tones are rendered using that setting.

I use the in-camera Mono photo style using custom settings I got from Matti Sulanto:
  • Contrast = +5
  • Sharpness = -3
  • NR = +2
  • Color Tone = 0
  • Orange filter
During my last mini-trek, I decided to compare Dynamic Monochrome vs the custom mono photo style but I noticed that D. Monochrome was shot at F/4.0 and F/5.6 with the custom setting so it's not a fair comparison, I guess. I remember though that D. Monochrome has darker tones.

Entrance to the trail at dusk:

Dynamic Monochrome:
P1140016.JPG

Custom Mono
P1140018.JPG

I rarely use Dynamic Monochrome because of the ISO limit, although I like how the tones are rendered using that setting.

I use the in-camera Mono photo style using custom settings I got from Matti Sulanto:
  • Contrast = +5
  • Sharpness = -3
  • NR = +2
  • Color Tone = 0
  • Orange filter
During my last mini-trek, I decided to compare Dynamic Monochrome vs the custom mono photo style but I noticed that D. Monochrome was shot at F/4.0 and F/5.6 with the custom setting so it's not a fair comparison, I guess. I remember though that D. Monochrome has darker tones.

Entrance to the trail at dusk:

Dynamic Monochrome:
View attachment 254607
Custom Mono
View attachment 254608

I vastly prefer your 'Custom Mono' profile.
Nice photo, too!

Interesting stuff, I have been keen on having a go with the monocromes but hasnt due to shooting raw exclusively, did a small try earlier this winter for BW fun at about high noon, but ended up with the raw files in colour, even though BW was what was in the viewfinder. Anyhow, horsing around with the fresh GX880 today, I ended up hooking the camera to the PC for file transfer, first time ever I have done that I think.

Come to proccessing time, and by some notion I wandered off into the Profile settings, and Lo and Behold, for there I found a heading named Camera Matching, containing the 7 profiles from the camera, including Monochrome L and Monochrome. :confused-95:

A quick spin through that, with a couple of photos that was slotted for the B/W treatment anyhow, produced these two:

Stump.jpg
JMA.jpg

Never knew that it was an option, but am somewhat keen to hook up the other cameras to see if those also embeds their profiles into LR, will be interesting to see if they do.

I am not much of a techie, so it is somewhat magic, and that without have to burn-sacrifice a goat as well!

I really should try to see what those picture taking computers we call cameras these days, actually are capable of. I tend to use them as I used cameras back in the analog days.

Some people sit on the couch with the remote control, and do 'channel surfing'. I have to admit that I am occasionally guilty of sitting down in a comfortable chair and doing a little 'dictionary surfing'. You find out all kinds of cool (and often seemingly useless, at the time at least) information about...all sorts of things. And sometimes you stumble across a cool image---

GX9_May16_21_Promethea_moth.jpg

Back