Micro 4/3 Panasonic's in-camera Monochrome filter/s

Borrowed a friends GH5 over the weekend. I think this was shot with the L. Monochrome D.
I really like this look. Can't wait for my GX9 to arrive.
P1200266.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A few more shots taken with l.monochrome.d on my GX9, and slightly tweaked in pp in different ways.
First, the old nearly-falling-down miner's cabin that sits behind my farmhouse---

GX9_Feb27_22_old_cabin.jpg

Then, an ancient rusted non-operational hand mower that a previous generation of gardeners abandoned here---

GX9_Feb27_22_mower_wheel.jpg

And lastly, the fungi growing on a downed tree branch---

GX9_Feb27_22_funghi.jpg

This in-camera jpeg setting (l.monochrome.d) was one of the main reasons I 'upgraded' from my previous (and quite excellent) GX8, to a GX9. I'm glad I did.

A few more l.monochrome.d shots.
This was taken in an older section of the downtown area of Medford, Oregon--

GX9_Mar26_22_animal_carrier_downtown_Meedford.jpg

And here is one of the buildings in the first shot, the old Holly Theater--

GX9_Mar26_22_HOLLY.jpg

Both taken with my GX9 which has become my de facto GXMonochrom.

Here's a RT's Kodak Tri-X 400 film simulation without pushing or pulling.
P1001402-1.jpg

The exposure on the vegetation is similar, however, I had to apply a 0.7 stop digital grad filter above to get the sky to have an exposure similar to the SooC one. 1- to 2- stop differences in such afternoon light scenarios are well-represented by Lumix's l.monochrome.d.

Two more l.monochrome.d shots - the first taken in the fish/meat department of my local supermarket---

GX9_April23_22_fish_at_market.jpg

The second taken in the toy department of another store---

GX9_April23_22_toy_elk.jpg

Needless to say, I have become a serious fan of this in-camera jpeg quasi-Tri-X-monochrome setting.

Here's an example of my GM5's SooC monochrome profile tweaked in-camera. I posted the RT-processed one in the Urban Image Thread.
P1300131.JPG

The one processed from RAW is much more detailed, of course. There's night-and-day difference between the details preservation but we're talking about a modern software versus in-camera JPEG engineering from 2014.

Here's an example of my GM5's SooC monochrome profile tweaked in-camera. I posted the RT-processed one in the Urban Image Thread.
View attachment 306337
The one processed from RAW is much more detailed, of course. There's night-and-day difference between the details preservation but we're talking about a modern software versus in-camera JPEG engineering from 2014.
The GM5 files always felt surprisingly good.

I have to admit, the output from the GX9 set to l.monochrome.d never ceases to remind me of what Tri-X used to look like, back in the ancient analog-only film days.

GX9_Oct18_22_door_handle.jpg

This was taken with the in-camera Green filter, as well (surprisingly useful for indoor available-light shots, as opposed to the Yellow or Red filters for skies and outdoor photography.

Here we have L. Monochrome D shots I took with the Panasonic LX100II during the brief period where I had it. Most of them have grain added.

P1000006.JPG

P1000112.JPG

P1000222.JPG

P1000219.JPG

P1000280.JPG

P1000281.JPG

P1000108.JPG

P1000101.JPG

That's about all of the samples I have on my hard drive. From my brief experience with the camera, I felt that L. Monochrome D didn't act exactly like it does on the GX9 or other Panasonic models with interchangeable lenses. Generally I found it to be a bit less convincingly film-like than on the GX9, I'm not sure why. I think it may be that the contrast doesn't behave anything like it does on film (naturally; it's not film), nor does the contrast have the same level of punch that it does with decent M4/3 lenses. However, most of these were taken under cloud cover, and I suspect that sunlight and deep shadows would look a little better. Anyway, here you go - what I found the capabilities of the LX100II B&W to be.

Back