Micro 4/3 Pancake zoom for m4/3?

soundimageplus

Top Veteran
Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 08.20.09.png

Its a morning of somewhat jaw-dropping announcements for serious compact fans. Andrea at 43rumors has a picture of an (apparently imminent) pancake zoom from Panasonic.
43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Hot Image leak!!! Panasonic new 14-42mm is a ...Pancake!!!

Its got image stabilisation too!!

Question is, does it still have a manual focus function?

I think this is really cool. I went to Olympus because of the kit lens. This is even smaller. I wonder how fast it zooms in and out, how fast it focuses, and if it takes filters. I may pick one up just for my E-P1 if the price isn't too high.

It doesn't appear to have a filter thread or a focus ring - this would make it pretty much useless other than for point and shoot photography. If this is the case, it is aimed at the fashion end of the compact camera market.

It also has a T-W switch - yes a zoom switch - so this is obviously intended for a low spec camera body with minimal controls or is a photoshop job.

Here's the zoomed view as well - 43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Hot Image leak!!! Panasonic new 14-42mm is a ...Pancake!!! (oops, sorry, same link as in first post....)

Wouldn't hold much appeal to me, but for a P&S upgrader who really wants to stay small, something like this mated with an EPM1 or GF3 could really compete with the future LX5s of the world. I can't see myself buying one, but its another cool development.

-Ray

Here's the zoomed view as well - 43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Hot Image leak!!! Panasonic new 14-42mm is a ...Pancake!!! (oops, sorry, same link as in first post....)

Wouldn't hold much appeal to me, but for a P&S upgrader who really wants to stay small, something like this mated with an EPM1 or GF3 could really compete with the future LX5s of the world. I can't see myself buying one, but its another cool development.

-Ray

If I retire my GF1 this may be a perfect match for it to replace my wife's EOS300.

Back