Film Pancakes

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Anyone have strong opinions on the quality of old pancake designs ?

I've started a scrapbook of a few that are starting to form an expensive 'want' list.

I hear the Nikon in particular is not that great even though its become a bit of a collectable.
I also didn't realise the new Pentax pancakes have some history behind them too.
And I've known about the Pen F Zuiko for some time as a near unobtanium lens.
It looks like the closes Olympus came to returning to the pancake was on the OM mount 21mm (probably borderline) until they released the newer 43's 25mm, m43's 17mm, 14-42mm & body-cap lenses.
Anyway, lets raise a glass or two in homage to the humble pancake :bravo-009:

60Zdk5JuIGGLMcZdWgIUEZaKTGvyq9gfPOn-l8BRp9THIkjnYE4bbwgtqStu8YYBoUsnbEUK4jj4xB8LIWn=w338-h339-no.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1yTYGSXZJwavVuMnGevb0gZii1i2OyPvBqjKLywsIfVnc7KecM3jm7i4-CKD2ktLLSMjekVkEg3y2glWdlvjYcn4=s500-no.jpg

5-h4QF11T1mt88qvpi9_UZ_5M3XY0km1filRbHxE3mAGyqVlgH-rNqHSaO0DBu5CljYNF2X8t7jsHjM9Rei=w800-h600-no.jpg

EHH4iJYod5RwV05w3u_oz4SvWFnRUBNDJE-YlxB23wXA6YaV1ddHlxiBnabnbgsQCv7QoMD-SVFvsE5KwDUKRT1k=s300-no.jpg

XcJpEb1Kd-IODI7eHz4EmbyoTgEInLbbXaE44pRImywN_2fnY62LCWYoE9nyOPKc7nXvBXNsTt04naeZI=w1443-h1082-no.jpg

I should add that I (unfortunately) don't own any of these lenses and I haven't taken any of these picture - they're just the result of some image googling.

Very keen to see pictures of members pancakes and opionions/feedback on them though.

I can vouch for the Pentax 40mm/2.8 pancake. Very sharp lens. Perhaps not as contrasty as some would prefer, but I'm pleased with images from it. I sold most of my Pentax gear and no longer own it, but for a Pentax person, it's worth owning.

I don't know if any of you knows Ming Thein - but long story short, I have a couple of his images hanging in my living room; one of them has been photographed with the Nikon D750 and the Nikon 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P - a wonderfully sharp and clearly drawn image :)

I myself have a less renowned lens, but it's also a very nice one: the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2 SLII (there's a new version out that mainly differs in appearance - you can see it here); in fact, it's sitting on the table right beside me, mounted on its mate, the Nikon FE2:
ultron_fe2_compact.jpg
ultron_ming_compact.jpg

(I've taken off the filter and hood for your convenience; the right image shows the camera and lens below Ming's image ...)

Here's one of my favourite shots with it (Nikon FM3a, Ektar 100):
17850487091_7fb0d579da_b.jpg

yin and yang live
on Flickr

And before you ask, I prefer not having to use the FM3a for run-and-gun shooting. It's a wonderful camera, and I want to keep it that way. The FE2 is also in very good nick - not perfect, but fully working, and for all intents and purposes, as long as the battery lasts, it's almost the equal of the FM3a in terms of features and shooting experience; I even clearly prefer the AEL mechanism (which is not a tiny button on the back but a lever on the front side of the camera, same as the FE). And even my battered old FE is still around because it's the most unassuming of all Nikon cameras that offer aperture priority, and nothing could make mine look any less valuable :) As it happens, I paid less for the FE2 than for the FE ... when it comes to film bodies, the world's conveniently upside down at times.

M.

Nice one! I'd forgotten Voigtlander still made new manual focus pancakes. How does the size compare to the old Nikon E 50mm f1.8 ?
It's about the same size, possibly a bit smaller as far as I can judge it - I used to own the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Ai-S (last version) that's more or less the same size (and formula) of the E, and that was a tad bigger, but lighter. The Voigtländer feels considerably better built, though - it's a joy to use. The Nikon actually died on me in a manner I would have fixed today - aperture stuck open. I donated it to a collegue of mine (a physics teacher) for demonstration purposes ...

The 50mm f/1.8 E qualifies as a pancake for sure, though. I also own the 35mm f/2.5 E - that one's just a bit too big to be considered a pancake, but furthermore, mine's the plasticky one, so it doesn't inspire confidence; the optics aren't anyway near as nice as on the Voigtländer, either. It's a useful lens, though, because it focuses down to 0.3m (1ft.).

EDIT: A little more info:
50mm f/1.8 E:
Nikkor 50mm f/2.0 and Series E 50mm f/1.8s Standard Lenses - Version History - Part V
50mm f/1.8 Ai-S:
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 Ai-S & 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S Standard Lenses - Version History in Ai-S Nikkor- Part VI
I wasn't aware of the major difference between versions; mine was a "Mark III", and I still own the optically identical first AF version (but that's a little bigger - no pancake ;)).

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back