Micro 4/3 Panny concept zooms unveiled - 12-35 and 35-100mm f2.8!

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
My Photoblog newsletter recently came through with a wrap-up of CES-2012. Yeah lots of talk, naturally, about the X Pro-1 and the G1x, etc. also, interesting piece on the unveiling of two constant aperture zooms from Panasonic. The 12-35 and 35-100 both f2.8.

So for those into zooms, then feast your eyes and fleece your pockets.

Nothing can be better :) best news of 2012

interesting piece on the unveiling of two constant aperture zooms from Panasonic. The 12-35 and 35-100 both f2.8.

I know .. its like dream comes true. M4/3 never looks so exciting. One thing .. there is still a chance that the apperture can possibly be wider than f/2.8. Can very possibly upto f/2.5. Well for me as it is they are acceptable, I already have the money ready, all I want Pany to release it asap with atleast f/2.8, but edge to edge sharp and well tested, like always. Their size and build also looks perfect to me.

There is also a strong chance it will come with GH3 or a new body, as lenses are weather selaed, so should be the body to make most out of it! I am also hoping to get these lenses as some kind of prime kit option, like GH1 with 14-140 and Pentax K5 with two lovely weather sealed lenses.

Not released yet. I can see this pair and a GX1 going well together... but not for me. On another note, I was at Hardly Normals the other day and they had a) a Samsung NX100 and b) a Panny GF1 both brand new, both for sale, neither cut down in price. And they wouldn't negotiate on either. The GF1 was a bit of a temptation anyway.

Not released yet. I can see this pair and a GX1 going well together... but not for me. On another note, I was at Hardly Normals the other day and they had a) a Samsung NX100 and b) a Panny GF1 both brand new, both for sale, neither cut down in price. And they wouldn't negotiate on either. The GF1 was a bit of a temptation anyway.
Really? Not budging on the price at all. What was the GF1 ticketed for out of interest Sue? I must say I've gone backwards to arrive at the GF1 (from the X100 and EP3) but it's been by far my favourite cam. I was tempted to get a spare, but am still tossing up whether the GX1 might be a better pick for that role ;) Either way, the GF1 stays.

Oh silly PhotographyBlog .. it never says anywhere its Power OIS. Just says "MEGA OIS" and an ON OFF Switch for IS. If it's X labeled doesnt mean its motorised zoom :tongue:

Yeah I noticed that Naveed. Funny how they outlined every single last feature down to minute detail on the new Canon G1X. Hmmm....I wonder which might be a bigger sponsor. ;)

If they could pull off f2.5 across the range in that size, then that would be marvellous for MFT shooters.

Yeah I noticed that Naveed. Funny how they outlined every single last feature down to minute detail on the new Canon G1X. Hmmm....I wonder which might be a bigger sponsor. ;)

If they could pull off f2.5 across the range in that size, then that would be marvellous for MFT shooters.

Oh yes f2.5 will be too good, but I prefer f2.8 with sharpness allover then them trying to make it bigger apperture and create softer, buggy lenses with unacceptable performance. As the real light gathering advantage is not that much. Even if it is f2.8 I see myself replacing atleast 3 of my M4/3 lenses including 14mm f2.5, 45-175 and 14-42(which i dont use much anyways), and this will keep my old and faithful 20mm f1.7, 45mm f1.8 and 9-18mm stay at home most of the time. Really counting 2012 on these two!:rolleyes:

I really dont blame them much for ignoring these two gyms .. there is very little info available on these concept lenses. They says it will be released later in 2012, how late, no one knows.

Oh yes f2.5 will be too good, but I prefer f2.8 with sharpness allover then them trying to make it bigger apperture and create softer, buggy lenses with unacceptable performance. As the real light gathering advantage is not that much. Even if it is f2.8 I see myself replacing atleast 3 of my M4/3 lenses including 14mm f2.5, 45-175 and 14-42(which i dont use much anyways), and this will keep my old and faithful 20mm f1.7, 45mm f1.8 and 9-18mm stay at home most of the time. Really counting 2012 on these two!:rolleyes:

I really dont blame them much for ignoring these two gyms .. there is very little info available on these concept lenses. They says it will be released later in 2012, how late, no one knows.
Well said mate!!! I totally agree about the f2.5 vs 2.8.

Now the big question is, can you hold onto the money you've set aside long enough to wait for the release? ;)

Really? Not budging on the price at all. What was the GF1 ticketed for out of interest Sue? I must say I've gone backwards to arrive at the GF1 (from the X100 and EP3) but it's been by far my favourite cam. I was tempted to get a spare, but am still tossing up whether the GX1 might be a better pick for that role ;) Either way, the GF1 stays.

There's a Ted's store near me which has been attempting to sell a new GF1 + 14-45mm for $800 for at least six months now. Of course they also list the GF3 + 14-42mm for $800 which I believe is about the same price you could get a GX1 for in the USA.

Now the big question is, can you hold onto the money you've set aside long enough to wait for the release? ;)
I am sure I can, as I don't my money on anything else but cameras :redface:

There's a Ted's store near me which has been attempting to sell a new GF1 + 14-45mm for $800 for at least six months now. Of course they also list the GF3 + 14-42mm for $800 which I believe is about the same price you could get a GX1 for in the USA.

Strange! I thought UK prices are insane, still I got GF3 inc VAT and twin lens 14mm and 14-42mm for a pound less than 400 :)

Yep, cameras and travel (work permitting). The rest goes to silly things like mortgages, rates, insurances, vehicle registration...food...
Hehe .. true, but lucky me I didn't trapped myself into mordgage and so no insurance and no car regis etc. just rent and food. i think this short and silly life is too non-serious to get trapped into serious businesses like these. Maybe in the next life and if I will be on a better planet and more life time and easier system to mordgage, then why not!

Cameras food and travel .. these are vital!

funny that I bought all of my cameras gears and did most of my travelling whenever I finish my contract work .i.e. when am out of work.

$800 for GF1 ... wow. I guess it's a collector's item. Maybe worthwhile if Pany had not released the GX1. But I can't fathom choosing the GF1 over the GX1 if they both cost the same. GX1 bodies are $700 here in the US.

The two new Pany lenses are very intriguing. Hope they don't end up too big. Or maybe we'll see a new body released at the same time that will balance well with the new lenses, like Naveed talked about.

I don't think it's anything to do with collectability, as used prices for a GF1 body only hover around the $300 mark. It's more about a shop steadfastly trying to sell leftover stock at it's original list price despite it being a superseded model.

I don't think it's anything to do with collectability, as used prices for a GF1 body only hover around the $300 mark. It's more about a shop steadfastly trying to sell leftover stock at it's original list price despite it being a superseded model.

Is that how much the GF1 retailed at? Must be my brain going bad! I was thinking it was a whole lot cheaper.

There's American retail price and then there's Australian retail price. As I mentioned a few posts earlier, one of our biggest camera retailers lists the GF3 + kit lens for $800 (with the $AUS currently worth about $US1.03). This GF3 price is an extreme example; $200 more than the equivalent E-PM1.

I think that in the end, they must be relatively affordable and the quality must simply be there. Is it just me or are these upcoming lenses a bit too late in the game for Panny. To me, it seems like these should have come out 2 years ago.

I think that in the end, they must be relatively affordable and the quality must simply be there. Is it just me or are these upcoming lenses a bit too late in the game for Panny. To me, it seems like these should have come out 2 years ago.

Two years ago? How is Pany and (almost) every manufacturer going to squeeze every dime they can out of us by releasing premium lenses during the infancy of a system? If they release premium lenses early, then we wouldn't be forced into buying the slow crappy lenses first. ;)

Back