Leica Parallax correction on the M9, does it work well?

winginkris

Veteran
Tried to find an answer for this but had no luck. I'm thinking about picking up an M9 and I'm curious about any parallax issues it might have. I have the Fuji X-Pro and while I love the camera, I really want to focus manually like I did many years ago, but I really don't like the way the X-Pro uses focus by wire. The parallax correction doesn't work all that well(especially up close), and I've trashed quite a few shots as some of the subject ends up out of the frame. I know I could "guess" where things should be but would rather have a more accurate way of framing.
I'll probably rent one if I can find a place in my area, but any feedback before hand would be helpful.

Thanks for any answers, Kris

In my experience, the framelines on the M9 err on the side of being too conservative. You usually get more in the shot that what the framelines show, particularly the farther away you are from your subject. Never bothered me, though. I find that the parallax correction works quite well, and the rangefinder spot moves with the framelines so that it is always centered.

Best would be to try before you buy.

Cheers,

Antonio

Thanks Antonio. The X-Pro is also conservative, which is fine, but I'm finding that things don't center well when up fairly close even though the camera adjusts for parallax. It just doesn't adjust enough. Again, I'd rather not be "guessing".
I'll definitely try before I buy.
Thanks for your input, and by the way, the pics you're posting with your M9 are stunning! A compliment to your skills and your equipment, the combination seems to be working very well for you!

Back