Paris and Rome: what to bring, what to do, how to do it?

Travelled around many European cities and only had any trouble in Barcelona and St.Petersburg. In St. Petersburg our friend had his wallet taken by a gang working the underground road crossings which are vast tunnels. They stopped him going through a door whilst a gang surrounded him closely, pinning his arms to his sides whilst they fleeced his pockets. I know several people who have had their pockets picked on Las Ramblas but we had a bag taken outside the station early on a Sunday morning. Luckily two of our group gave chase and they gave it back with no problem and a shrug of the shoulders!

Thanks everyone again for the input. My gear plan for now will be GR + wide angle adapter, RX100ii, and maybe the OMD + 14-150 for whenever I need long. I'll probably make a trial run of just GR + RX100ii in an upcoming trip.

We still haven't figured out our lodging yet. I agree with the recommendations that the more central the better. Are rental cars recommended if we don't venture outside of the city?

Looks like a good number of people have had encounters with thieves. I think I'll leave my Louis Vuitton special edition Leica camera bag at home for the Paris/Rome trip. ;)

No rental cars unless you do country driving. Stay central and walk:) You can get the bus/metro pass also.

I don't have RX100ii but watch the min shutter speed, RX100 goes down to 1/30 sec on the wide side in low light which is hand holdable with IS but you get motion blur. They increased that to 1/60 in nex cameras after 5 and 1/80 with RX1. I bought the RX100 and then went to vacation last year and I didn't spend too much time to practice. Also on the wide side 10+% distortion ctrl w/ RX100 stretches the corners, but you have GR also.

Don't drive in either Rome or Paris. Good public transport in both places and your feet will ensure you get up close to the wonderful sites.

I've travelled a fair bit around Europe including Paris and Rome, and never had any problems. Just be sensible. Always be vigilant of your surroundings especially around train stations, in crowds where people can bang against you and in dark, empty streets. Basically how you would be back home. Look confident even when you don't know where you are. We were forever lost in Paris. Don't carry more than you can afford to lose. Leave passport, etc in the safe at the hotel. Make sure your gear is covered by insurance. If someone does try to steal your stuff just let them. You don't know if they are carrying a knife. No camera is worth that.

Truth is pickpockets will always go for the easy targets. It amazes me how many folk walk around with their wallets in plain view in their back pockets.

Have fun. Of the two Rome is easily my favourite.

Are rental cars recommended if we don't venture outside of the city?
It's quite the opposite - rent a car if you want to enjoy the countryside, but in town it's much simpler using public transport. Driving around would eat a lot of time and kill your nerves. Most things you'll want to see are easily reached on foot or using metro (and the little train to Ostia from Piramide!)

Are rental cars recommended if we don't venture outside of the city?

Driving and parking in both cities is quite something, particularly in Rome it seems that the main reason for traffic rules is to find ways around them (drove in Rome myself for about 3 weeks). So unless you want to test your driving skills, public transportation, cabs and good walking shoes is the way to go. And as touristy as it is, for a first impression and overview of a city, these "hop on and off" open top tour buses are quite convenient.

Yeah, generally transit, subways, trains, etc, are the way to go, other than walking. You can walk HUGE swaths of these cities if you're up for it. In Rome, though, make sure to take a couple of taxi rides. Rome taxi drivers are more entertaining than about anything I've ever experienced. We took a cab from the Coliseum to the Vatican 3 years ago and the driver and another driver got into a shouting match, started cutting each other off in traffic (and racing forward to get to where they could). At one red light I seriously thought one of them was about to pull a gun, but I guess neither had one. Since we all lived through it, I wouldn't have missed it for the world...

-Ray

Repeating, good walking shoes. We walked 12-14 hours straight, daily and my feet, ankles and lower legs got edema. I bought italian shoes, you know you think because hey italy, shoes.. but actually they were hard soled and that helped against all the cobbles and paving stones etc. I was able to feel every contour under the keds. We only rented a car when we went form venice to verona and when there we parked in a public underground lot my husband had used before and of course walked. There are also rental bikes in some places if you are up for that. Agree with all that Briar said, don't carry all your money, your passport or all your gear. If they ask for it give it, just have insurance. Better than dying abroad over a camera. But really if you are vigilant you should be fine.

Change of gear plan. No more RX100ii. Adding the XF1 to the mix (to be carried by the missus). So it looks like the gear (for now) will be GR + wide angle adapter, XF1, and EM5 (14-150, 17/1.8).

I ordered a Scottevest Revolution jacket with lots of hidden pockets.

Do NOT attempt to drive in either city. All the good stuff in Rome is walkable. In Paris, buy a metro ticket called a Paris Visite, you can get 1, 2, 3 or 5day passes, unlimited metro travel. I thoroughly recommend it. If you are a notebook person buy the Moleskine Paris book - it has street maps and metro maps, is pocket sized and has loads of space for notes. It is my constant companion in Paris.

In Rome you have to go to Sant'Eustachio coffee house. My number one contender for best coffee in the world. Well worth a visit. In Rome coffee houses you go to the till, place and order and pay, get the receipt and hand it to the barista who will create for you a drink quite unlike that which you have tasted before. Take care to get the right Sant'Eustachio - it's a tiny little place. There is a much bigger cafe on the corner, not as good. My second pick is Tazza d'Oro, very close to the Pantheon. I think I went three times. And I don't really drink coffee.

I stood above the forum for an hour and stared at it. Rome is amazing in so many ways.
8550511272_e2097e9304_c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
8553546602_0fda0e056b_c.jpg
8553561100_fd19339a48_c.jpg
8553551988_1b5ec57f82_c.jpg

Attachments

• 8550511272_e2097e9304_c.jpg
    8550511272_e2097e9304_c.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 8553546602_0fda0e056b_c.jpg
    8553546602_0fda0e056b_c.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 8553561100_fd19339a48_c.jpg
    8553561100_fd19339a48_c.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 47
  • 8553551988_1b5ec57f82_c.jpg
    8553551988_1b5ec57f82_c.jpg