Paul McCartney at Outside Lands in San Francisco

staticantics

Regular
Name
Chris
This summer I took my wife to her first concert. The three-day festival was a bit of a baptism by fire, but the highlight of the event was a long set by Sir Paul McCartney. We were close enough that I was able to reach with my trusty Canon S110 and got some shots I deemed worthy of sharing for my first post on Serious Compacts.

9518889169_526f90f1d0_b.jpg

Paul McCartney Stage Exit at Outside Lands 2013 by staticantics, on Flickr

9521650234_91b410b317_b.jpg

Paul McCartney Carries American Flag at Outside Lands 2013 by staticantics, on Flickr

9518844735_7f8362d958_b.jpg

Paul McCartney Sings Blackbird on Rising Stage at Outside Lands by staticantics, on Flickr

9518835369_cefb975073_b.jpg

Paul McCartney takes the stage at Outside Lands 2013 by staticantics, on Flickr

Nice! Lots of grain but it seems to add to the atmosphere. How did you find the S110 handling the harsh contrast between low light and bright lights of a rock concert? Were these photos taken raw?

They were taken raw. I always shoot in manual mode.

The first image shows the the wide aperture on the S110 at its widest point can let in much more light than the other focal lengths. In order to get any type of sharpness I had to keep boosting ISO to keep the shutter speeds up. I'm sure if I had been closer the performance would have been better.

The S110 meters for the brightest, so it performed as I expected with stage light contrasts using full manual control. Luckily McCartney had the stage very well lit, especially for the first image at the finale.

Back