Peak Design Travel Tripod

Mike G

All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Well folks the dreaded GAS has struck again, and I splashed the cash on a PD Travel Tripod the Carbon Fibre version . Bloody expensive I know but I would only fritter the money away on Wine, Women and Song! 🤗

Initial impressions are very good, and the tripod comes complete with everything one would need!

PDTT.jpg

PDTT2.jpg

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Rest in peace, Mike. ♥️ I'll keep this thread up.

And here it is, the last purchase of 2020.

I took my acquisition to the basement of the building because I don't have many opportunities left to do so, yet I always planned to shoot some.

This is my first sturdy tripod with a ballhead. My previous one is a super cheap 13 € one. Peak Design Travel Tripod is not super cheap. I went for the CF version going at 499 €. CF stands for, according to what it says on the tripod, "Carbon F'n Fiber".

I did think long and hard about other very compact travel tripods that would lose in the diameter compactness but win with traditional ballhead design.

2021-01-05 (Tue) 17-27-19.jpeg

I have zero experience about ballheads and sturdy tripods. My initial 15-minute test wants to tell me: this is a sturdy tripod but the ballhead is not as nice as I'd imagine an ordinary ballhead would be. It's not silky smooth to turn around and there's a tiny hint of play when you fasten it. I did expect this from watching an hour of various youtube reviews.

Despite what people say I didn't find it particularly cumbersome to work with portrait orientation even though the movements "are limited" this way. I'm not a panorama shooter so a lot of those issues will miss me by a mile.

2021-01-05 (Tue) 17-37-40.jpeg

My 13-euro tripod is a lever design just like PDTT. I really like levers. It is easy to adjust a leg, it's quick to open and quick to pack up. But somehow when I was extending the tripod down in the field I managed to pull from the wrong place and the entire leg came off. What's weirder, I put it back in and it seems to be just like before.

Overall it's not bad.

But perhaps this is not a thing that would turn things around for a tripod hater.

Jack Loudon

Regular
Real Name
Jack Loudon
Rest in peace, Mike. ♥️ I'll keep this thread up.

I took my acquisition to the basement of the building because I don't have many opportunities left to do so, yet I always planned to shoot some.

This is my first sturdy tripod with a ballhead. My previous one is a super cheap 13 € one. Peak Design Travel Tripod is not super cheap. I went for the CF version going at 499 €. CF stands for, according to what it says on the tripod, "Carbon F'n Fiber".

I did think long and hard about other very compact travel tripods that would lose in the diameter compactness but win with traditional ballhead design.

View attachment 244930

I have zero experience about ballheads and sturdy tripods. My initial 15-minute test wants to tell me: this is a sturdy tripod but the ballhead is not as nice as I'd imagine an ordinary ballhead would be. It's not silky smooth to turn around and there's a tiny hint of play when you fasten it. I did expect this from watching an hour of various youtube reviews.

Despite what people say I didn't find it particularly cumbersome to work with portrait orientation even though the movements "are limited" this way. I'm not a panorama shooter so a lot of those issues will miss me by a mile.

View attachment 244929

My 13-euro tripod is a lever design just like PDTT. I really like levers. It is easy to adjust a leg, it's quick to open and quick to pack up. But somehow when I was extending the tripod down in the field I managed to pull from the wrong place and the entire leg came off. What's weirder, I put it back in and it seems to be just like before.

Overall it's not bad.

But perhaps this is not a thing that would turn things around for a tripod hater.
These are beautiful photos; colors, textures, shadows. A reminder (to me anyway) not to overlook mundane subjects that are close at hand.

mike3996

Hall of Famer
These are beautiful photos; colors, textures, shadows. A reminder (to me anyway) not to overlook mundane subjects that are close at hand.
Thank you.

A tripod definitely helps here. You can photograph the "dark spots" of your home without introducing issues with artificial light. Yesterday I was looking at an overflowing trash can with new eyes, with my newly acquired tripod next to me. :D

My old place, it's a characterful house built in the seventies. After a few years I woke up to the realization I should shoot some of these quirks so that the details won't get lost. So I shot some about the dressing room, the sauna, even the bathroom. I'm planning on a book about the house, although I planned to do that two years back, now on the backburner.

My current (rental) apartment doesn't have the character to take photographs about.

Jack Loudon

Regular
Real Name
Jack Loudon
Thank you.

A tripod definitely helps here. You can photograph the "dark spots" of your home without introducing issues with artificial light. Yesterday I was looking at an overflowing trash can with new eyes, with my newly acquired tripod next to me. :D

My old place, it's a characterful house built in the seventies. After a few years I woke up to the realization I should shoot some of these quirks so that the details won't get lost. So I shot some about the dressing room, the sauna, even the bathroom. I'm planning on a book about the house, although I planned to do that two years back, now on the backburner.

My current (rental) apartment doesn't have the character to take photographs about.
Mike, thanks for the information. Even with a tripod, my interior photos would fall far short of yours :)

Graham Moore

Regular
Real Name
Graham
Well folks the dreaded GAS has struck again, and I splashed the cash on a PD Travel Tripod the Carbon Fibre version . Bloody expensive I know but I would only fritter the money away on Wine, Women and Song! 🤗

Initial impressions are very good, and the tripod comes complete with everything one would need!

View attachment 221239

View attachment 221238
Very pretty! I lust after one but certainly don't need it. The tripod I have only gets hauled out for indoor ('studio type') macro work, and that's a pretty rare event in the last couple of years.

Latest threads

Top Bottom