Pentax Pentax image thread

IMGP0077.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some of the photos I took yesterday evening with the M 28mm f2.8, quick RAW edits. The K-1 DNGs are very easy to edit in Lightroom.

IMGP0123.jpg

IMGP0130.jpg

IMGP0138.jpg

IMGP0143.jpg

IMGP0147.jpg

I did wonder why KP defaults to ISO 200 when I have set up its auto ISO for 100-25600. Turns out it was a DR setting related to JPEGs.

Pentax files are of course so good you could be running the camera with 200 as the base ISO no problems. Which I have done unintendedly until now.

2022-07-19 (Tue) 17-57-16.jpeg

One of the Pentax quirks which has taken me an embarrassingly long time to realize is how much image quality and sharpness in JPEGs is improved by using Fine sharpness - which is not the default. I keep my JPEG profile with fine sharpness +2 now and I love the results. Why Pentax includes the other two sharpness modes, which look considerably "rougher" and more jagged, I don't even understand.

One of the Pentax quirks which has taken me an embarrassingly long time to realize is how much image quality and sharpness in JPEGs is improved by using Fine sharpness - which is not the default. I keep my JPEG profile with fine sharpness +2 now and I love the results. Why Pentax includes the other two sharpness modes, which look considerably "rougher" and more jagged, I don't even understand.
Thanks for the tip. I have only been learning their JPEG customisations, which, according to many Japanese Pentaxians, are highly customisable according to shooting conditions. I will try playing with the sharpness options. Cheers.

Thanks for the tip. I have only been learning their JPEG customisations, which, according to many Japanese Pentaxians, are highly customisable according to shooting conditions. I will try playing with the sharpness options. Cheers.
Thus far, from my experience with the KP and K1, I would say their customizations are good, but not as extensive as I had hoped. The Ricoh GR has the most powerful and customizable JPEG engine I have used, and I was hoping I'd be able to do the same amount of editing RAWs as with the GR III/IIIx, but it's a little less. However, there are some natively very good profiles and getting to know them has been rewarding.

Barebones Pentax RAW converted straight to 8-bit sRGB Web-Safe JPEG. I was told by many Pentaxians that the RAW is popular to many landscape photographers because they have the most natural colours, particularly in the greens.
IMGP0084_01.jpg

IMGP0081_01.jpg

IMGP0097_01.jpg

I found that with the RAW, the varying amounts of saturation is very well-pronounced even in the greens of the same vegetation but with varying amounts and angles of light, which is what we see with the naked eye.
IMGP0110_01.jpg

IMGP0125_01.jpg

Back