Pentax Pentax image thread

There were more people on the trail today than I've seen since spring. Today I did the trail reversed from the way most do, passed one couple, and there were others ahead of me going the same way. You can see the shirt of one of them in the shot, as well as a cruddy view of the roadrunner running the trail between the blue shirt and myself as it scanned for food stuff.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

New acquisition: this hulking metal and plastic hunk on my MX is the SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f3.5. It's a lens described on Pentax Forums as a "stack o' primes." I brought my K-1 along when I went into the shop, and the few snaps I took with it were quite good. I'll need to get out and experiment with it when I can! It's a fair bit different from my 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 of the "F" autofocus variety, much larger and heavier. But the F-series lens doesn't manually focus all that well, and I'm thinking this will be especially fun to use on the MX.

IMGP5078.JPG

New acquisition: this hulking metal and plastic hunk on my MX is the SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f3.5. It's a lens described on Pentax Forums as a "stack o' primes." I brought my K-1 along when I went into the shop, and the few snaps I took with it were quite good. I'll need to get out and experiment with it when I can! It's a fair bit different from my 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 of the "F" autofocus variety, much larger and heavier. But the F-series lens doesn't manually focus all that well, and I'm thinking this will be especially fun to use on the MX.

View attachment 426502
Awesome lens! That was actually the first zoom lens I ever owned - in my life. I owned it back when the lens was current and I was shooting full-time with a pair of MX's, an ME Super, and a Super Program/Super A - and otherwise all prime lenses. I lived in Europe at the time and traveled extensively with the 35-105. Loved it, and made some of my all-time favorite film images with it. Alas, when I encountered trouble getting my Pentax cameras repaired in Europe, I traded my Super Program and 35-105 toward a Nikon FA and Nikon's 35-105 AIS lens - since I loved my Pentax 35-105 so much. While the Nikon lens was smaller and a little more sleek, it was also far optically inferior compared to the Pentax. Didn't take me long to regret the trade. This Pentax lens is a gem, enjoy it!

Awesome lens! That was actually the first zoom lens I ever owned - in my life. I owned it back when the lens was current and I was shooting full-time with a pair of MX's, an ME Super, and a Super Program/Super A - and otherwise all prime lenses. I lived in Europe at the time and traveled extensively with the 35-105. Loved it, and made some of my all-time favorite film images with it. Alas, when I encountered trouble getting my Pentax cameras repaired in Europe, I traded my Super Program and 35-105 toward a Nikon FA and Nikon's 35-105 AIS lens - since I loved my Pentax 35-105 so much. While the Nikon lens was smaller and a little more sleek, it was also far optically inferior compared to the Pentax. Didn't take me long to regret the trade. This Pentax lens is a gem, enjoy it!
It's great to get a real testimonial from someone who's not just interested in the lens the way many of us gearheads are. Thanks!

The size and weight is going to make it a slight challenge to carry, since I'm used to small primes, but I'm thinking this could be a good reason to haul out the small Olympus camera bag. It'll fit the MX and 35-105 just right.

Occasionally see riders taking their horses through the Conservation Area. Once they passed I tried to get into position for a shot of them riding into the scene, but by the time I had moved to where I could get the background I wanted they had moved past the bend. Oh well.
original.jpg

Today presented more opportunities than I normally see. Including a young rattler and another tarantula. This is the first rattlesnake I've come across here. I know they are prolific, just haven't seen one. Been seeing tarantulas since this last week. This one was a little small, maybe a 1.5" (3.8cm) body.

The rattler was only maybe 18" (45-ish cm), and wasn't moving, not even the tongue. Even with 4 people close by. Since it was on one of the main brick paths around the house, staff got a snake stick and a bucket, plans on relocating to another part of the area. It didn't move even after several attempts to scoop it up, but the snake stick was a bit large for the small snake on pavers. Once the stick moved closer to the head it definitely started moving, and moved off and under one of the water cisterns at the house. No noticeable tail rattling. Staff was debating whether or not to just leave it or try to move it out and get it relocated.

Dan @DM Larson grabbed couple shots.
original.jpg

original.jpg

And, hairy spider warning for those who don't like spiders, like me.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
original.jpg

Today presented more opportunities than I normally see. Including a young rattler and another tarantula. This is the first rattlesnake I've come across here. I know they are prolific, just haven't seen one. Been seeing tarantulas since this last week. This one was a little small, maybe a 1.5" (3.8cm) body.

The rattler was only maybe 18" (45-ish cm), and wasn't moving, not even the tongue. Even with 4 people close by. Since it was on one of the main brick paths around the house, staff got a snake stick and a bucket, plans on relocating to another part of the area. It didn't move even after several attempts to scoop it up, but the snake stick was a bit large for the small snake on pavers. Once the stick moved closer to the head it definitely started moving, and moved off and under one of the water cisterns at the house. No noticeable tail rattling. Staff was debating whether or not to just leave it or try to move it out and get it relocated.

Dan @DM Larson grabbed couple shots.
View attachment 427058

View attachment 427059

And, hairy spider warning for those who don't like spiders, like me.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
View attachment 427060
Lucky! That is one beauty of a western diamondback.

And that landscape orientation shot is displayed a lot larger than the file size.

Tremors played havoc with trying to get a steady enough shot for AF to work, nothing really sharp trying to grab a quick shot of an American Kestrel (I think) as it swung by close and away over the field behind me.
original.jpg

And that landscape orientation shot is displayed a lot larger than the file size.

Tremors played havoc with trying to get a steady enough shot for AF to work, nothing really sharp trying to grab a quick shot of an American Kestrel (I think) as it swung by close and away over the field behind me.
View attachment 427315
When I was down there this spring there were a pair of Kestrels mating in the large tree to the west of the feeders/house. They were somewhat obscured by branches so no picture. I bet they have a nest in those trees.

When I was down there this spring there were a pair of Kestrels mating in the large tree to the west of the feeders/house. They were somewhat obscured by branches so no picture. I bet they have a nest in those trees.

I wouldn't doubt nesting there, it's a good location. First time I've seen one.

Back