Pentax Pentax image thread

Taken with my new (to me) K-01 -

K01_GardenChair+Statue_AnalEfexPro.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's strange getting used to no OVF but rather liberating in a weird way -

K01_SelfP_SilverEfexFilmNoir03.jpg

Taken with my new (to me) K-01 -

View attachment 215575

It's strange getting used to no OVF but rather liberating in a weird way -

View attachment 215576
I have some distant memory of that camera getting slammed by the 'critics'. But I believe it has a similar or the same sensor as the GR/GRII, so even without having used it, I like it. I can only imagine the results with those 'Limited' Pentax lenses.

I have some distant memory of that camera getting slammed by the 'critics'. But I believe it has a similar or the same sensor as the GR/GRII, so even without having used it, I like it. I can only imagine the results with those 'Limited' Pentax lenses.
I think you are right, it was the same sensor Pentax put in the K-5, and also appeared in the Nikon 7000. Made by Sony and quite a capable one, too.

But actually if truth be told, and as we all know, it's not so much the sensor - or even the lenses - but ultimately the eye of the photographer. @john m flores has taken a number of epic photos over the years with his K-01, and his way of using his Pentax mirrorless cameras (he's also a long term Pentax Q addict) definitely was a big influence in my recent K-01 purchase.

So was Andrew Kochanowski, a great street photographer, who wrote a killer informal review of the way he used to use the K-01 for candid photography - a piece which was originally publichsed in Mike Johnson's The Online Photographer, and for quirky Pentax fans, is worth reading:

But, you're right...it's hard to go wrong with some of those 'Limited' Pentax lenses, no matter what you're shooting with :)

I think you are right, it was the same sensor Pentax put in the K-5, and also appeared in the Nikon 7000. Made by Sony and quite a capable one, too.

But actually if truth be told, and as we all know, it's not so much the sensor - or even the lenses - but ultimately the eye of the photographer. @john m flores has taken a number of epic photos over the years with his K-01, and his way of using his Pentax mirrorless cameras (he's also a long term Pentax Q addict) definitely was a big influence in my recent K-01 purchase.

So was Andrew Kochanowski, a great street photographer, who wrote a killer informal review of the way he used to use the K-01 for candid photography - a piece which was originally publichsed in Mike Johnson's The Online Photographer, and for quirky Pentax fans, is worth reading:

But, you're right...it's hard to go wrong with some of those 'Limited' Pentax lenses, no matter what you're shooting with :)
Makes a note, "Pentax K5" and "Nikon D7000". I'm sure I read somewhere about the the "Nikon D7100" too, but can't find it (believe me, I've googled).

But actually if truth be told, and as we all know, it's not so much the sensor - or even the lenses - but ultimately the eye of the photographer.
Yeah I know, of course, of course - but no camera did monos like the GRII, nor any PP software either.

Last edited:
Taken with my K-01 and that oh-so-cool tiny pancake lens, the DA 40, inside my writing office where the legacy of last Halloween is still present.

K01_Head_VSCOPortra160Alt+.jpg

Moral of the story: in this day and age of 24mp and 45mp and soon-to-be 61 megapixel sensors....the X-01's now positively ancient (seemingly) 16mp Sony sensor....is still surprising me ;)

Last edited:
Trying Capture1 vs Apple Photos - slightly different crop but C1 looks a bit 'dryer' using the auto-enhancement settings (not that I'm an expert at this stuff) - K-7 & 100mm f2.8 Macro

View attachment 215933_IGP0724 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

View attachment 215934_IGP0724Capture1 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

C1 certainly feels much faster than Photos and similar to Aperture speedwise.

Both versions look good to me - but in simple (or maybe simplistic) terms, the Apple Photos rendition seems to have more saturation than the Capture1 version. They both have an appeal - but personally I prefer a little bit more saturation in this image.

When shooting in very very low available-light conditions, at 25,600 ISO, my K-01 shows significantly more grain than images taken with the newer (and more high-ISO-capable) sensor of my KP - but on the other hand, in some images, I don't mind the grain (and PeeWee doesn't seem to mind it all that much, either ;) ---

K01_Fisheye_PeeWee&Chairy.jpg

Both versions look good to me - but in simple (or maybe simplistic) terms, the Apple Photos rendition seems to have more saturation than the Capture1 version. They both have an appeal - but personally I prefer a little bit more saturation in this image.

Agreed - if I did anything other than cropping, basic enhancement and occassional exposure/sharpening adjustment I'd get out of Photos but so far it seems Photos is OK for my needs. Arguably Aperture was overkill but its DAM was so much better than iPhoto. Keen to try the lens adjustments in C1 for my wides/fish-eyes - correction isn't something Photos does particularly well.

my K-01 shows significantly more grain than images taken with the newer (and more high-ISO-capable) sensor of my KP

How're you finding the AF speed? I hear it was one of the key strikes against the camera (other than the unorthodox form factor). I'm seriously tempted to get a K-5 (I love my K-7 but its sensor is/was a bit sub-par) but I have seen the occasional K-01 for bargain prices (I mainly shoot wides, normals, macros and occassional adapted m42 Super Taks).

Back