Pentax Pentax image thread

Giving the Pentax K-7 some exercise with the 50mm f1.8 DA - the camera has some quirks but it takes great images, is very responsive and feels great in the hand. Anyone looking for a cheap way to dip into the K-mount could do worse than checking out a K-7.

50937748966_8fd2355664_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_PXK0978 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

50937748861_7be614b020_o.jpg
_PXK0985 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Of course birds show up to berate the cat just when I remove the 100mm and pop on a lower-reach 17-70mm. Sigh. I guess the slow focussing and graunching noise of the macro would have scared them off anyway.

51056007898_8657c5aa57_o.jpg
PXK59443 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

51056816382_a5de45e7b2_o.jpg
PXK59427 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

51056008018_29b310b665_o.jpg
PXK59419 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I came across this image while going through some of my archives this morning. I had completely forgotten about taking this with a K-30 I had years ago.

IMGP1958.jpg

51076694528_0a4055d320_o.jpg
PXK59480 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Times like this I would love to have a 100mm macro lens. Maybe one day...

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for them. The old models can be had relatively cheaply and the MF K-mount ones are out there too (the slower F4 models seem to go cheap); I have a sneaking suspicion they hold their value because people adapt them for mirrorless use whereas the old AF K mount ones aren't so desireable unless you use them on a Pentax body.

The K5 & 100m Macro is rapidly turning into my favourite macro combo.

The old models can be had relatively cheaply
Sadly, in Australia, the Pentax second hand market is almost non-existent. Over here its Canon and Nikon and to a lesser extent, Sony and Olympus. Ebay is no use at all. Most second hand stuff is in Japan, at prices not far short of the new (when the item was new) and with shipping costs, boosts overall cost to more than I want to pay. Eventually I suppose I will buy a new one, or a Tamron 90mm.

Sadly, in Australia, the Pentax second hand market is almost non-existent. Over here its Canon and Nikon and to a lesser extent, Sony and Olympus. Ebay is no use at all. Most second hand stuff is in Japan, at prices not far short of the new (when the item was new) and with shipping costs, boosts overall cost to more than I want to pay. Eventually I suppose I will buy a new one, or a Tamron 90mm.

I hear you. NZ is generally worse. The used market seems to lean towards Canon heavily (about 2 to 1 Nikon judging by TradeMe (our eBay equivalent)). After that its Sony/Fuji and Oly/Panasonic bringing up the rear. Not much Pentax digital kit; although plenty of K1000's and Spotmatics in the analog world when Pentax went toe to toe with Canon & Nikon in the 60's and 70's.

My DA* 200 and 300 that stopped doing the autofocus thing back in December are working again now that it has warmed up. :dance4: Guess I can hold off on a repair decision for a while longer.

From earlier today, K-1 + DA* 300/4, heavy crop (6mp out of 36), and downsized for web.
original.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with my K-7 - almost everything about it is great for its time, but the sensor can be really hit or miss. The raw files are also as dull as dish-water - just super-flat - but every now and then when they're processed they come out looking lovely.

51124508904_eaac7d3608_o.jpg
_PXK1243 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Back